In the late 1920s Lakshman Sarma had the rare privilege of having private

lessons from Bhagavan. Their subject was the philosophy and practical teachings

expounded by Bhagavan in Ulladu Narpadu. Lakshman Sarma subsequently summarised

the essence of these lessons in two works: his Tamil commentary on Ulladu

Narpadu and Revelation, his expanded Sanskrit rendering of the original Ulladu

Narpadu verses. In the 1930s Bhagavan remarked that Lakshman Sarma’s commentary

on Ulladu Narpadu was the best available on that work. In the late 1930s

Lakshman Sarma put many of these ideas and explanations into Maha Yoga, his

English presentation of Bhagavan’s teachings.

In the 1950s Lakshman Sarma made a further attempt to explain and summarise

Bhagavan’s teachings. He composed a Sanskrit work of over 700 verses, entitling

it Sri Ramana Paravidyopanishad. This work was serialised in The Call Divine, a

Bombay magazine that regularly featured articles by Bhagavan’s devotees. The

material was never published in book form, although I have been told that

Lakshman Sarma’s family are now looking into the possibility of publishing the

whole work. I should like to thank Lakshman Sarma’s grandson, Vijay Sarma, for

permission to post this version of the work here on this site.

The text I am giving here is an edited version of the English text that

appeared in the 1950s serialisation. I have omitted the Sanskrit and revised the

remaining English translation by Lakshman Sarma since his English style in this

work style was at times very eccentric. The square brackets in the translations

of the verses were mostly put there by Lakshman Sarma in order to expand and

clarify the original Sanskrit, which was occasionally terse and sutra-like. The

intervening comments, which feature in coloured italics, are his own comments

and explanations. My own comments appear in the footnotes.

The subtitle that Lakshman Sarma gave this work – ‘The Supreme Science of

the Self as Taught by Sri Ramana’ – is a slightly expanded version of the main

title.

1. Sri Ramana Paravidyopanishad 1-321 (Verses 1-321) 2. Sri Ramana

Paravidyopanishad 322-701 (Verses 322-701)

---

9 The world appearance is ignorantly superimposed by the mind upon that

substratum, which is the truth of the Self. It [the world appearance] conceals

that reality and shines [as if it is] real so long as the ignorance persists.

Ignorance and mind are inseparable; where there is mind, there alone is

ignorance; where there is no mind, there is no ignorance, since in the mind-free

state the real Self is not concealed. This explains why the real Self is not

known to men in general.

An analogy is next given to help to understand the above statement.

10 Just as, in a dim light, the snake concealing the real rope is taken as

real in its own sight, so the world, concealing the Self, appears as real in its

own sight. This is the state of ignorance.

The notion of the Self that develops because of this basic ignorance is

described next.

11 Because of ignorance, the Self is believed to be limited to the body. [in

that state] it enjoys and suffers, is bound by bonds of desire to the world,

[and appears to be] ignorant and distinct from the Supreme Being. Really the

Self is identical with it, not other.

This mistaken view of one’s own Self is the starting point of all the evil,

known as samsara, which means the necessity of being born and dying in an

endless cycle. But all this is unreal, as explained in the very first verse of

Ekatma Panchakam (The Five Verses on the One Self), where it is said that

mistaking the body for the Self, the cycle of births and deaths,

Self-realisation and becoming the Self, are all a dream, like a world tour in a

dream.

Discover all that’s new in My

• 4 years later...
Guest guest

Dear Friends,

Please stop responding to John’s original message with his

cell phone. I am deleting all messages with this thread from the web. Simply

start a new thread please.

Thanks

Harsha

Guest guest

Dear Ramesh,What is most Awe inspiring about Bhagavan is that, though He is the Incarnation of Jnana and the transcendental Awareness, He is the object of pure Bhakti in the hearts of His devotees. A perfect mixture of Jnana and Bhakti! You are right Ramesh that He has stolen our hearts. Is He not Hari as well as Siva?It is joy to sail in the same boat, all of us together!john ramesh chivukula <ramesh_chivMay 24, 2009 11:50:54 PM EDT Subject: Re: Sri Ramana Paravidyopanishad Dear Alan , Well said.. Why do we love our beloved Bhagavan so much ( even though he may appear cold and aloof to those who really dont know him ) ? It is because of HIS promise that he will continue to guide us through and that HE will never let go ! Just that one thought is sufficient to burn all our so called miseries away ! Having said that , I must confess that I do slip into the clutches of maya , every now and then .. only to be rescued in time by the most benevolent ONE ! love and pranams to all who are sailing in the same boat ! ramesh --- On Mon, 5/25/09, Alan Jacobs <alanadamsjacobs (AT) (DOT) co.uk> wrote: Alan Jacobs <alanadamsjacobs (AT) (DOT) co.uk>Re: Sri Ramana Paravidyopanishad Date: Monday, May 25, 2009, 8:07 AM Dear Ramesh, I heard the late Robert Adams, the American Jnani -who spent three years with Bhagavan 1947-50 (see the official site of the Infinity Institute- and author of Silence of the Heart) say in Sedona, that the day of your Self Realisation was already written. We are in the jaws of the tiger, and Bhagavan will never let us go. Yours, in Bhagavan, Love, Alan --- On Mon, 25/5/09, ramesh chivukula <ramesh_chiv@ > wrote: ramesh chivukula <ramesh_chiv@ >Re: Sri Ramana ParavidyopanishadMonday, 25 May, 2009, 3:28 AM Suffice it to say that it is only a matter of time before the goal is acheived. With that faith firmly entrenched , we can surely cross all bridges. Patience is the first and foremost requirement for a sadhaka. love ramesh --- On Sun, 5/24/09, John Andreadis <johnandreadis@ mac.com> wrote: John Andreadis <johnandreadis@ mac.com> Sri Ramana Paravidyopanishad"" <>Sunday, May 24, 2009, 9:52 PM Verse 481:The devotee or seeker of the Self who becomes discouraged by the thought "When shall I attain the natural state?" hinders progress on the path of deliverance by having such a thought.John Andreadis

Guest guest

Dear John ,

True .. it is such a joy to meet and share with devotees .. It is again HIS GRACE that is at work .. Sometimes , when things appear too dark , all I have to think that such divine incarnates as Bhagavan Ramana and Sage Ramakrishna lived on this very earth and that too - not too many decades ago . That very thought itself keeps me going , come what may !

love

ramesh

--- On Mon, 5/25/09, John Andreadis <johnandreadis wrote:

John Andreadis <johnandreadisRe: Sri Ramana Paravidyopanishad Date: Monday, May 25, 2009, 5:12 PM

Dear Ramesh,

What is most Awe inspiring about Bhagavan is that, though He is the Incarnation of Jnana and the transcendental Awareness, He is the object of pure Bhakti in the hearts of His devotees. A perfect mixture of Jnana and Bhakti! You are right Ramesh that He has stolen our hearts. Is He not Hari as well as Siva?

It is joy to sail in the same boat, all of us together!

john

ramesh chivukula <ramesh_chiv@ >

May 24, 2009 11:50:54 PM EDT

Re: Sri Ramana Paravidyopanishad

Dear Alan ,

Well said.. Why do we love our beloved Bhagavan so much ( even though he may appear cold and aloof to those who really dont know him ) ? It is because of HIS promise that he will continue to guide us through and that HE will never let go !

Just that one thought is sufficient to burn all our so called miseries away ! Having said that , I must confess that I do slip into the clutches of maya , every now and then .. only to be rescued in time by the most benevolent ONE !

love and pranams to all who are sailing in the same boat !

ramesh

--- On Mon, 5/25/09, Alan Jacobs <alanadamsjacobs@ .co. uk> wrote:

Alan Jacobs <alanadamsjacobs@ .co. uk>Re: Sri Ramana ParavidyopanishadMonday, May 25, 2009, 8:07 AM

Dear Ramesh,

I heard the late Robert Adams, the American Jnani -who spent three years with Bhagavan 1947-50 (see the official site of the Infinity Institute- and author of Silence of the Heart) say in Sedona, that the day of your Self Realisation was already written. We are in the jaws of the tiger, and Bhagavan will never let us go.

Yours, in Bhagavan,

Love, Alan --- On Mon, 25/5/09, ramesh chivukula <ramesh_chiv@ > wrote:

ramesh chivukula <ramesh_chiv@ >Re: Sri Ramana ParavidyopanishadMonday, 25 May, 2009, 3:28 AM

Suffice it to say that it is only a matter of time before the goal is acheived.

With that faith firmly entrenched , we can surely cross all bridges.

Patience is the first and foremost requirement for a sadhaka.

love

ramesh

--- On Sun, 5/24/09, John Andreadis <johnandreadis@ mac.com> wrote:

John Andreadis <johnandreadis@ mac.com> Sri Ramana Paravidyopanishad"" <>Sunday, May 24, 2009, 9:52 PM

Verse 481:The devotee or seeker of the Self who becomes discouraged by the thought "When shall I attain the natural state?" hinders progress on the path of deliverance by having such a thought.John Andreadis

Guest guest

Thank you, Harsha, for introducing me.I still remember vividly getting a postcard in the mail with Sr Ramana Maharshi's face on it. Before I had even read anything about him, I was amazed that a photograph could have so much power to generate peace within me.A friend on Facebook joined the Facebook group of Sri Ramana Maharshi, which reminded me that I would like to feel his presence again more regularly.Blessings to everyone,Ava R.On May 25, 2009, at 10:17 AM, ramesh chivukula wrote:Dear John , True .. it is such a joy to meet and share with devotees .. It is again HIS GRACE that is at work .. Sometimes , when things appear too dark , all I have to think that such divine incarnates as Bhagavan Ramana and Sage Ramakrishna lived on this very earth and that too - not too many decades ago . That very thought itself keeps me going , come what may ! love ramesh--- On Mon, 5/25/09, John Andreadis <johnandreadis (AT) mac (DOT) com>wrote:John Andreadis <johnandreadis (AT) mac (DOT) com>Re: Sri Ramana Paravidyopanishad Date: Monday, May 25, 2009, 5:12 PMDear Ramesh,What is most Awe inspiring about Bhagavan is that, though He is the Incarnation of Jnana and the transcendental Awareness, He is the object of pure Bhakti in the hearts of His devotees. A perfect mixture of Jnana and Bhakti! You are right Ramesh that He has stolen our hearts. Is He not Hari as well as Siva?It is joy to sail in the same boat, all of us together!john ramesh chivukula <ramesh_chiv@ >Date: May 24, 2009 11:50:54 PM EDTTo: Subject: Re: Sri Ramana Paravidyopanishad Dear Alan , Well said.. Why do we love our beloved Bhagavan so much ( even though he may appear cold and aloof  to those who really dont know him ) ?  It is because of HIS promise that he will continue to guide us through and that HE will never let go ! Just that one thought is sufficient to burn all our so called miseries away ! Having said that , I must confess that I do slip into the clutches of maya , every now and then .. only to be rescued in time by the most benevolent ONE ! love and pranams to all who are sailing in the same boat ! ramesh--- On Mon, 5/25/09, Alan Jacobs <alanadamsjacobs@ .co. uk> wrote:Alan Jacobs <alanadamsjacobs@ .co. uk>Re: Sri Ramana ParavidyopanishadMonday, May 25, 2009, 8:07 AMDear Ramesh, I heard the late Robert Adams, the American Jnani -who spent three years with Bhagavan 1947-50 (see the official site of the Infinity Institute- and author of Silence of the Heart) say in Sedona, that the day of your Self Realisation was already written. We are in the jaws of the tiger, and Bhagavan will never let us go. Yours, in Bhagavan,  Love, Alan --- On Mon, 25/5/09, ramesh chivukula <ramesh_chiv@ > wrote:ramesh chivukula <ramesh_chiv@ >Re: Sri Ramana ParavidyopanishadMonday, 25 May, 2009, 3:28 AMSuffice it to say that it is only a matter of time before the goal is acheived.With that faith firmly entrenched , we can surely cross all bridges.Patience is the first and foremost requirement for a sadhaka. love ramesh--- On Sun, 5/24/09, John Andreadis <johnandreadis@ mac.com> wrote:John Andreadis <johnandreadis@ mac.com> Sri Ramana Paravidyopanishad"" <>Sunday, May 24, 2009, 9:52 PMVerse 481:The devotee or seeker of the Self who becomes discouraged by the thought "When shall I attain the natural state?" hinders progress on the path of deliverance by having such a thought.John Andreadis

Guest guest

Dear John

sailing in the same boat

what a nice expression

b u t

endless ongoing effort to remain TRUE to ONE SELF

is needed in all times specially in dark times

yours in bhagavan

michael

-

John Andreadis

Monday, May 25, 2009 1:42 PM

Dear Ramesh,

What is most Awe inspiring about Bhagavan is that, though He is the Incarnation of Jnana and the transcendental Awareness, He is the object of pure Bhakti in the hearts of His devotees. A perfect mixture of Jnana and Bhakti! You are right Ramesh that He has stolen our hearts. Is He not Hari as well as Siva?

It is joy to sail in the same boat, all of us together!

john

ramesh chivukula <ramesh_chiv >

May 24, 2009 11:50:54 PM EDT

Dear Alan ,

Well said.. Why do we love our beloved Bhagavan so much ( even though he may appear cold and aloof to those who really dont know him ) ? It is because of HIS promise that he will continue to guide us through and that HE will never let go !

Just that one thought is sufficient to burn all our so called miseries away ! Having said that , I must confess that I do slip into the clutches of maya , every now and then .. only to be rescued in time by the most benevolent ONE !

love and pranams to all who are sailing in the same boat !

ramesh

--- On Mon, 5/25/09, Alan Jacobs <alanadamsjacobs (AT) (DOT) co.uk> wrote:

Alan Jacobs <alanadamsjacobs (AT) (DOT) co.uk>Re: Sri Ramana Paravidyopanishad Date: Monday, May 25, 2009, 8:07 AM

Dear Ramesh,

I heard the late Robert Adams, the American Jnani -who spent three years with Bhagavan 1947-50 (see the official site of the Infinity Institute- and author of Silence of the Heart) say in Sedona, that the day of your Self Realisation was already written. We are in the jaws of the tiger, and Bhagavan will never let us go.

Yours, in Bhagavan,

Love, Alan --- On Mon, 25/5/09, ramesh chivukula <ramesh_chiv@ > wrote:

ramesh chivukula <ramesh_chiv@ >Re: Sri Ramana ParavidyopanishadMonday, 25 May, 2009, 3:28 AM

< tbody>

Suffice it to say that it is only a matter of time before the goal is acheived.

With that faith firmly entrenched , we can surely cross all bridges.

Patience is the first and foremost requirement for a sadhaka.

love

ramesh

--- On Sun, 5/24/09, John Andreadis <johnandreadis@ mac.com> wrote:

John Andreadis <johnandreadis@ mac.com> Sri Ramana Paravidyopanishad"" <>Sunday, May 24, 2009, 9:52 PM

Verse 481:The devotee or seeker of the Self who becomes discouraged by the thought "When shall I attain the natural state?" hinders progress on the path of deliverance by having such a thought.John Andreadis

Checked by AVG - www.avg.com Version: 8.5.339 / Virus Database: 270.12.37/2131 - Release 05/24/09 07:09:00