Guest guest Posted January 27, 2003 Report Posted January 27, 2003 Your right fbl, Ashtanga is Ashtanga and can be defined no other way. It amazes me how many centers I look up that state they teach "Ashtanga," (looking for a new teacher) and when I call to find out what it incorporates, they end of telling me that it is an "ashtanga type," a bit of this and a bit of that. I say thank you, but no thank you. So, still looking.... Margee > > funkybadlady [sMTP:no_reply] > Monday, January 27, 2003 1:21 PM > ashtanga yoga > ashtanga yoga Re: not ashtanga > > There were no flames here. It is a common misconception that > the styles are "interchangeable" and that only "Ashtanga purists" > take issue with interchaging flow style practices and ashtanga. > You are not telling me anything I don't already know. I know all > three people personally - Tracey, Ganga and Bryan. The > practices you mention are as far as you can get from ashtanga. I > am only pointing this out. If you like tracey and Ganga's thing, > cool. If you are into Bryan Kest, great. But it is not what we > practice. Ashtanga has a very specific sequence and a very > distinct way of learning poses. The teaching style is also very > distinct and a very important component of Ashtanga. I don't > understand what your argument is... What you and other are > talking about is just not ashtanga. All the theorizing and fact > throwing is not going to change that. > > FBL > > > ashtanga yoga, "musefish9396 < > musefish9396>" <musefish9396> wrote: > > Hi, > > > > I know that neither of those practices are pure "ashtanga" but > > that's irrelevant to me. I wasn't trying to say that they were pure > > ashtanga but the fact is, they are in both very much influenced > by > > ashtanga. Bryan Kest started at 14 years old doing Ashtanga > (at the > > insistence of his father who basically told him to do yoga or > move > > out.... Bryan talks about this in "Yogi Bare"). Ganja White did > > study with P. Jois while he was in the states (as well as > Iyengar in > > India.... yes, I know Iyengar isn't ashtanga either:) ). > > > > Anyway, they are however valid practices that can have great > > benefits to people. > > > > To be quite honest with you, for me personally the White Lotus > > approach has been the practice that appeals to me personally > and I > > really like what Bryan Kest and Baron Baptiste as well have > brought > > to people as well. There are many people like me who are > devoted to > > a daily practice but not strictly to ashtanga. > > > > I guess if there are message boards for those other practices > then > > I will most definitely move over to there. I happen to be very > > eclectic in terms of my yoga practice (which is very much along > the > > lines of thinking of "White Lotus"). > > > > Still, while I would find it interesting to practice with an > > Ashtanga teacher (and there are several where I live) I have no > > desire to devote myself exclusively to Ashtanga. I came to this > > group to learn more about Ashtanga (I have been working with > David > > Swenson's tapes and have his "manual" for about 2 years > along with > > my other tapes and I have Richard Freemans's "breathing and > > relaxation" but I have gotten more personal benefit from > practicing > > the "White Lotus" way and others depending on how I intuitively > feel. > > > > The teacher I study with each week is a very eclectic teacher, > > definitely not ashtanga and I have derived great benefits from > her > > approach as well. I have no intention of giving up studying with > her > > either:) > > > > I will say that while it's possible that ashtanga may effect the > > body and mind in a completely different way I don't think you > can > > claim that they effect them in a "Better" way than other > > practices. > > > > In fact, from the degree of "flame throwing" and arrogance that > > I've seen on this list it certainly doesn't appear that their > > practice has necessarily helped them beyond the physical (I > am not > > accusing you in particular of this sort of thing because you > were > > not rude at all in your response, this is just an observation). > > > > But as Bryan Kest said in one of his interview (I'm > paraphrasing > > here) " I know people who can do the advanced series who are > still > > manic depressive". > > > > Take care, > > > > Scott > > > > > > > > > > > > ashtanga yoga, funkybadlady < > no_reply> > > wrote: > > > Although you may be excited by Bryan's videos and White > Lotus > > > yoga, neither comes close to being Ashtanga Yoga. It is not > > > about being a "purist" or not. Although you may find some > > > similarities, Ashtanga is a completely different practice that > > > effects the body and mind in a completely different way. The > > > best way to begin to understand this is to find an authentic > > > Ashtanga instructor and do the practice yourself. Also do > some > > > research and check out AYRI.org > > > > > > I am only pointing out that this is a very different practice. > > There > > > are message boards for White Lotus as well as for "Power > > > Yoga" which is what Bryan Kest teaches. Neither come > close to > > > the practice that this board references. > > > > > > FBL > > > > > Sponsor > > HGTV Dream Home Giveaway <http://rd./M=241773.2861422.4212389.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=1705060955:H\ M/A=1394045/R=0/*http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/pac_ctnt/text/0,,HGTV_3936_5802,FF.htm\ l> > <http://us.adserver./l?M=241773.2861422.4212389.2848452/D=egroupmail/S=\ :HM/A=1394045/rand=632247566> > > > ashtanga yoga > > > > Terms of Service <>. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.