IndiaDivine.org

Reply: WHO IS GAYATRI ?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Dear all,

I had not the opportunity to participate in the gayatri discussion as I was away out of town for a while. Interestingly, only this month I had compiled an issue on Gayatri at the local temple I am fortunate to be heavily involved. I attach the issue for the benefit of tho aspirant who is interested in understanding this powerful mantra.

I also would like to add that that the key word in this mantra is "VARENYAM BHARGO" the full meaning of this supreme effulgence can actually be found in another Mantra Aditya Hrdayam which literally means Supreme light of my heart. In this sloka Sage Agastya teaches Lord Rama to contemplate on the Supreme light which would indicate the way to the realisation of "Thou art That" that is The individual self is identical with the universal self and not distinct from it. This being exactly same as Shri Ramana Maharishi's teaching.

Now coming to the meaning of "VARENYAM BHARGO" is in paragraph 3 to 5

para (3) Oh Rama, mighty -armed Sri Rama listen (to this) eternal secret whereby you shall vanquish in battle all your foes (ego and maya).

para(4) This holy hymn to the presiding deity of the Sun ( Supreme Light), if chanted fervently, will result in the destruction of all your enemies ( ego and maya) and bring you victory and unending supreme felicity.

para(5) It is supreme in that it is guarantee of all round prosperity( spiritual energy), destroyer of all sin(ego), allayer of anxiety( Helps you surrender) and anguish( creates the calmness necessary to achieve spiritual goals) , and bestower of longevity ( consistency in meditation necessary as Ramana says in his teachings)

I have been following your various messages but a discussion on gayatri is particularly dear to me as I have practical experience that this mantra actually can make any guru talk to you personally and clear all your doubts one only needs to attempt. It can also help one to see this 'I' that we are talking about.

Sorry if I am bringing in a topic not really related to this site but this mantra will actually bring you closer to Raman Maharishi thats my experience who incidentlly is also my Guru.

R Ravi Sankar

John <ramanachala (AT) onetel (DOT) com> wrote:

Yes.

If you go to the "messages" window, and then type "9957" into the "message #" box, it will take you straight to the post.

RamanaMaharshi, swathi dora <doraksp wrote:

>

> Dear Chris,

> In our group Sri Ravi Shankar has elaborately explained about 'Gayatri mantra', pls check his post dated October 11, 2004.

> Best Regards

> Dora

> Quote "I enclose a write up on this please note that this mantra is to recited with the meaning always infront of you as you recite.Please also note you need to have comitment and depending on lords grace it can take hours or years.Ramana himself was in deep meditation for years.

>

> Please be reminded that this is only one way and not the only way.

>

> Ravi Sankar

> Lusaka,Zambia" Unquote

>

> chris manning seapeaceblue wrote:

> I have seen many translations of the Gayatri Mantra

> and they all are different, would someone please be

> kind enough to tell me the correct translation.

> Thanks

> Chris

>

>

>

>

> Jiyo cricket on India cricket

> Messenger Mobile Stay in touch with your buddies all the time.

>

....something is sounding, or shining, as 'I-I', in the Heart...

Religion and spirituality Ramana maharshi

Visit your group "RamanaMaharshi" on the web.

RamanaMaharshi

360° NEW – Your one place to blog, create, publish & share!