IndiaDivine.org

Who shall I cement friendship with and who shall I avoid ???

Rate this topic

krsna

Friendship in Krishna consciousness

A devotee … should also make friendship with persons who are on an equal level with himself or who have the same understanding that he does. For a devotee, there is no point in making friendships with ordinary persons; he should make friendship with other devotees so that by discussing among themselves, they may elevate one another on the path of spiritual understanding. This is called ista-gosthi.

In Bhagavad-gita there is reference to bodhayantah parasparam, “discussing among themselves.” Generally pure devotees utilize their valuable time in chanting and discussing various activities of Lord Krsna or Lord Caitanya amongst themselves. There are innumerable books, such as the puranas, Mahabharata, Bhagavatam, Bhagavad-gita and Upanisads, which contain countless subjects for discussion among two devotees or more. Friendship should be cemented between persons with mutual interests and understanding. Such persons are said to be sva jati, “of the same caste.”

The devotee should avoid a person whose character is not fixed in the standard understanding; even though he may be a Vaisnava, or a devotee of Krsna, if his character is not correctly representative, then he should be avoided. One should steadily control the senses and the mind and strictly follow the rules and regulations, and he should make friendship with persons of the same standard.

from SB 3.29.17 ppt

Guest guest

sounds more like demonism to me, like pride.

''Sages look with an equal eye on a Brahmin endowed with learning and humility, on a cow, ... The same in honour and dishonour, the same to friend and foe,

''

this is how one should act

Guest guest

Did Srila Prabhupad say that?

I looked at vedabase.net and apprently he said that.

Can someone explain to me, how in the practical sense , it is alright to deal with karmis when we are preaching to them and not alright to deal with devotees in other Vaishnava sangas, if our aim is to enlighten them that our strain of Vaishnavism is the " correct way"?

Think of it logically, you who started the thread, it is alright to talk, deal, buy from, negotiate, brush elbows, eg in the airport with karmis but it is a definite no , no to make friendships (hence to be in enmity) with other people who chant Hare Krishna from other sangas. I think, what you are suggesting, is the most illogical, stupid, divisive idea in the Vaishnava world

for the year 2006

Can that purport that you attributed to SP be the line of thought (or writing) of one of his hippie disciples who helped him wrote/transcribed the commentaries to his Bhagavatam edition. Or was that edition already doctored to suit some agenda.

There are many seeming contradictions in the Vedic literature but on the balance, guest above is right, ''Sages look with an equal eye on a Brahmin endowed with learning and humility, on a cow, ... The same in honour and dishonour, the same to friend and foe,"

BTW, a frequent poster here , signing as Krishna, my question is .

Who are you? ooh , ooh, ooh , ooh

Radha-Krishna

Myrla

Australia (I'm not exactly a newbie; chanting since 1978, making the final commitment to a Guru who has a track record to put it simply-- not just a guru in good standing. Good standing !! sounds like someone who is a member of a club. I have seen it all, been there, though not exactly done that !).

I think Srila Prabhupada is talking about devotees who are still struggling with anarthas like sex, drugs, smoking, etc. These anarthas represent flaws in the heart, flaws that should not infect the pure followers within the shelter of ISKCON.

I think it was Srila Prabhupada's desire that the core of the movement not be infected by any element of the shortcomings of the outside hangers-on. Giving in to that cigarette is turning from Krsna. Srila Prabhupada, the protective father is simply trying to close those exit doors for his disciples.

I think Srila Prabhupada is talking about devotees who are still struggling with anarthas like sex, drugs, smoking, etc. These anarthas represent flaws in the heart, flaws that should not infect the pure followers within the shelter of ISKCON.

I think it was Srila Prabhupada's desire that the core of the movement not be infected by any element of the shortcomings of the outside hangers-on. Giving in to that cigarette is turning from Krsna. Srila Prabhupada, the protective father is simply trying to close those exit doors for his disciples.

The Exit Doors to Maya???:crazy2::eek2:

Exit%20Door%20Bolt.jpg

Guest guest

Gaura Hari, Namaste

I am particularly alarmed at this part of the post of the forummer "Krishna"

Friendship should be cemented between persons with mutual interests and understanding.

I take this to mean it is referring to persons who follow the Vaishnava siddhanta which is slightly different than your or my line.

I have followed this chap's (K) post and I believe I have a clear understanding of what this guy's biases and inclinations are and what is he up to..

Jaya Sri Radhe

Myrla

sounds more like demonism to me, like pride.

''Sages look with an equal eye on a Brahmin endowed with learning and humility, on a cow, ... The same in honour and dishonour, the same to friend and foe,

''

this is how one should act

Are you a Sage? I don't think so. :rolleyes:

I think Devotees should avoid, or at least reduce contacts with non-devotees or at least avoid discussion with other people on religious matters.

Sharing opinions is find, deep discussion is not because it may cloud your understanding. And if you want to have friend, then consider God as your friend.

Myrla,

I have watched him for years, and would support him anywhere. I don't think you have gleaned his inner agenda at all. Fortunate are they that do.

It is Srila Prabhupada with whom you have quarrel: http://vedabase.net/sb/3/29/17/en

gHari

"In Bhagavad-gītā there is reference to bodhayantaḥ parasparam, "discussing among themselves." Generally pure devotees utilize their valuable time in chanting and discussing various activities of Lord Kṛṣṇa or Lord Caitanya amongst themselves. There are innumerable books, such as the purāṇas, Mahābhārata, Bhāgavatam, Bhagavad-gītā and Upaniṣads, which contain countless subjects for discussion among two devotees or more. Friendship should be cemented between persons with mutual interests and understanding. Such persons are said to be sva jāti, "of the same caste." The devotee should avoid a person whose character is not fixed in the standard understanding; even though he may be a Vaiṣṇava, or a devotee of Kṛṣṇa, if his character is not correctly representative, then he should be avoided. One should steadily control the senses and the mind and strictly follow the rules and regulations, and he should make friendship with persons of the same standard.":deal: from the purport.