IndiaDivine.org

Negation?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Namaste, all

Shri Pai writes”

<<<when i came across this process of " neti" neti"  in VEDANTA...i was thrilled to see that such a modern method is used in teaching even at that time...and we have no correct info about the period ...>>>

May I say that Neti Neti method followed in Vyvahariaka level (empirical level) is quite different from the Neti Neti prakriya or method followed in unfolding self knowledge. In the latter case, the prakriya is to see, recognize and appreciate the apparent difference between Paramartha Satta (absolute Reality) and Vyavaharika Satta (empirical Reality). It is like negating necklace from gold. It is only a matter for understanding and knowing, and with that wisdom to change one’s attitude towards himself, others including the world at large, and also Ishwara. It involves no action at all, as one cannot “separate” Vyavaharika Satta (also known as Mithya) from Paramartha satta. It is not like negating the banana peel from the banana. There is no physical distance between Paramartha Satta and Vyavaharika Satta, though one can appreciate and recognize that there is a difference, inasmuch as Paramartha Satta exists of its own, while Vyavaharika Satta needs a platform for its

existence, which is Paramartha Satta.

I may be wrong, but that is how I “understand” the subject.

Shri Durgaji writes:

<<<Is it necessary to do any negation to experience the Self?>>>

Negation or Neti Neti is a prakriya or methodology followed in Advaita not for experiencing the Self. It is for one to know how Self, which is Paramartha Satta and non-self, Vyvaharika Satta, through which Self gets manifested, got mixed up because of ignorance. To make it clear, the ignorance has resulted in Atmani Anatma Darshanam and Anatmani Atma Darshanam, i.e. taking Absolute Reality as Relative Reality and vice versa.

I feel Neti Neti prakriya is for Vichara or Manana and not for experiencing the Self.

As you rightly said Self is always manifesting through the little i or Jeeva, and for that matter through all known and unknown. Self is “Prathi Bodha Viditam” i.e. it is known and experienced in every moment of our consciousness, but we are unable to recognize it and appreciate it because of our ignorance. However, it is my understanding, this knowledge is wisdom while we live in this world and transact, and our attitude or Bhava, once convinced of this, changes automatically without any effort, towards us, towards the world we are confronting and also Ishwara.

Shri Shankaracharya said:

“Bhava Advaitam sada, kuryath kriya advaitam na kaschit,”

i.e. Always have the attitude of advaita.

This is the way I understand it. Yes, I may be wrong.

<<<Another question along similar lines might be, is it

necessary to do any negation to recognize that the

Self experience which I am already having is Brahman? 

The answer to that question IMO is a definite "yes.">>>

The negation or Neti Neti is only for having a clear knowledge of the apparent difference between Paramartha Satta and Vyvaharika Satta or to remove the confusion between the two.

Shri Shankarraman writes:

<<<In the mantra, 'Sarvam Khalu Idam Brahma,' only when one understands through self-enquiry that there is no all, nor is an idam, the understanding of there being nothing to be negated would arise. The, ' idam' and 'all' are only upadhis.>>>

What you have kindly mentioned is very clear (yes to my intellect only)

Thank you all very much for giving me an opportunity to share whatever little exposure I have managed to get through my Great Teachers, may pranams again and again to Them.

Warm regards

Mani

R. S. Mani

Messenger with Voice. PC-to-Phone calls for ridiculously low rates.

Discussion of Shankara's Advaita Vedanta Philosophy of nonseparablity of Atman and Brahman.

Advaitin Homepage at: Terms of Service.

Guest guest

H.N.Sreenivasa Murthy

Pranams to you all.

"R.S.MANI" <r_s_mani > wrote:

Shri Sreenivasa Murthy writes

===========================================

<<< The questioner, the doubter, the seeker will disappear completely>>>

=======================================================

<  If the seeker disappears on getting enlightened, I doubt how many will dare <to seek or go for enlightenment, although I can understand “The question of <"WHO" and "HOW" will never remain when once you understand the <commentaries of Sri Shankara on the above two Mantras”

< If what is meant is “seeking disappears” one can understand.

<I feel using difficult words and such statements take one, at least me, no where. >

Dear Sri Mani,

In the Upanishads a Mumukshu who goes all out to abide as SELF is called a DHIRA. Unless the Mumukshu has the courage and intelligence of the highest order [ Please refer to the Mantra of Katha upanishad Where in it has been stated  ' agrayA buddhyA']  it will not be possible to shed the IGNORANT NOTION that  one is an  entity, that one is a personality.

The whole purpose of applying the 'Neti, Neti' procedure is to realize the Supreme Truth that one's true nature is Brahman or Atman. Unless a seeker has the courage to shed the ignorant notion that he is an entity how can one realize the goal of reaching the SOUGHT?

Please ponder over the above stated thoughts.May the Divinity bless you to achieve your goal!

With warm and respectful regards,

Sreenivasa murthy

Discussion of Shankara's Advaita Vedanta Philosophy of nonseparablity of Atman and Brahman.

Advaitin Homepage at: Terms of Service.