Rate this topic

Guest guest

• 9 years later...

What is involved in the dvadasi-parama-vrata that Yashodamayi and Nandababa

performed to obtain their son?

Your servant,

Deenanath das

Dear Deenanatha Prabhu,

I have also searched and asked this question of others. My findings is that 'Dvadasi Vrata' means following Ekadasi as well as breaking ekadasi fasting at the proper time on the next day, Dvadasi. There are many rules and regulations for Ekadasi and according to the degree of dedication one may follow it more or less, but the least of which is to not eat grains and beans on the Ekadasi day, avoid sex and perform devotional activities. The greatest of which is to completely fast (nirjala) and stay awake all night hearing and chanting the glories of the Lord. Either way, the fast must be broken on the Dvadasi day at the proper time (paran) to make the Ekadasi vrata succesful. It is also reccomended to eat only once on dvadasi, the day after ekadasi and avoid certain foods and activities are well. You can get details on Ekadasi & Dvadasi Vrata from the Garga Samhita 4.2.8, as well as Jaiva Dharma by Srila Bhaktivinode Thakur.

So, in conclusion Nanda and Yasoda's 'Dvadasi Vrata' must mean they have strictly followed Ekadasi and the following Dvadasi Vratas for one full year. Being in the cowherd community and not a bramical community it may be questioned if they followed ekadasi and dvadasi. Yasoda Mayi admits (In Gopal Campu) that she had not followed 'Dvadasi vrata' before. Of course they are Krsna's eternally perfect associates so there is no need for them to follow ekadasi and dvadasi, as these practices are for sadhakas and conditioned souls who are aiming at spiritual advancement. Mahaprabhu follwed ekadasi strictly because he was setting an ideal for Vaisnavas to follow. Krsna in His Vraja pastimes is not doing that, but displaying a drama of transcendental lila.

That is my humble submission. I await any other suggestions.

Radhakanta das (CA, USA)