IndiaDivine.org

Shree Maa's tells us A NEW story - Trailinga Swami (Part 2)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Beloved Family,

Please share your understanding and learning with everybody! Thank you!

If you missed the first part of the story, you can find it at:

http://www.shreemaa.org/drupal/node/353

When Shivaram was 40 years old, his father died. He had a great desire to leave the world and take up the life of a religious mendicant, but his Mother requested him to remain with her so long as she maintained her body. She promised him that if he would stay with her until her death, he would find the highest blessings and the ultimate liberation. He agreed, and remained in the family home.

When his mother died twelve years later, he was freed from the debts of family karma, and being accountable to no one, he moved off to live the life of a wandering sadhu. He started his sadhana in the local cremation grounds, where he remained seeking wisdom for 20 years.

An order from God led him on a search for his Guru,Yogi Rattananda Saraswati. Together, they made spiritual pilgrimage on foot across the North and South of India, and ultimately came to Pushkar Lake. It was here that the yogi initiated Shivaram into sannyas dharma, and gave him the name Ganapati Saraswati. Shortly after the initiation, his guru left the body and Ganapati remained there and performed spiritual practices for 10 years.

After the completion of this sadhana, he walked to Rameshwaram in South India. It is here that the first of a number of powerful miracles certified the depth of his yogic powers.

The story is told that he stopped and blessed the corpse of a young child amidst a large funeral procession. Much to the surprise of all the thousand or so mourners, the boy suddenly came to life. Without a word the saint disappeared.

Ganapati continued his pilgrimages throughout India and came to practice sadhana in Nepal's deep forests. A Nepalese story tells of a King (huntsman) who was on a safari in that region, and how, although a gifted marksman, could not seem to shoot a tiger. Despite repeated misses, the King insisted on getting the tiger and pursued it with all his might. The tiger chase brought the King to a yogi sitting amiably with the roaring beast. The yogi gently stroked the frightened animal, while the King looked on in amazement. Yogi Ganapati beckoned the King closer to give him this marvellous advice, "Give up your fear, Oh King, for the tiger will not harm you. God has created everything. Give love, and He will give you love. Always remember this."

Ganapati revealed the power of love in his simple yet heroic gesture. Later, the King returned to Kathmandu spreading news of the Saint and the tiger. Many people aroused with devotion travelled to the jungle for his blessings and Ganapati's fame began to spread. One weeping widow threw her dead child at the feet of the saint. Moved by compassion, Ganapati touched the corpse and revived it. Again, Ganapati disappeared without a trace.

One day Trailinga Swami was sitting outside the Pashupatinath Temple of Lord Shiva in Kathmandu,Nepal. The King's daughter had prepared a special garden of flowers with which to worship Shiva in a special puja for her marraige. With great devotion she performed the puja and put the garland on the Shiva lingam.

When she came out from the temple, she saw a naked sadhu wearing the same flower mala. "You should marry me!" he called to her, showing that he was wearing her mala.

She was abashed. "That crazy sadhu has stolen the flowers from my puja!" she called.

"Go in and see for yourself," replied the Swami.

She went into the temple only to find the offered garland was still draped over the Shiva lingam. Coming outside again, she saw that it was around the sadhu's necek. It was in two places at the same time! Both on the Shiva lingam and on the sadhu's neck! How could that be?

"Go, go," he said in benediction. "I accept your offering of worship. You'll find a good husband."

Returning to her home at the palace, she told her father of the extraordinary experience she had at the temple. "It must have been Trailinga Swami," replied the King. "Just while you were praying in the temple, we received a proposal for your marraige from a most worthy prince."

The princess was married and enjoyed a most blessed life.

At the Markendeya Ashram in Northern India, Ganapati did his Sadhana along the banks of the Narmada River. There he encountered a powerful Saint of the region, known as Kaki Baba.

One day Kaki Baba saw a beautiful scene:

All the rivers water was milk, and the newly arrived Swami was drinking it.

Kaki Baba understood the vision meant that Ganapati, now known as Trailinga Swami, had the power to drink the milk of the river, and that Mother Narmada provided this milk for Trailinga Swami. Also wishing to partake of the prasad, Kaki Baba went to the riverbank to drink, only to find the milk was just plain water.

The beloved Trailinga Swami stayed there for 8 years performing his Sadhana in the area. Trailinga Swami used to sit outside during the worst storms, despite persistent pleas from his disciples. Continually he would tell them, "Don't worry about me."

One day he went out into the river to rescue a sinking boat single handedly. Trailinga Swami knew that every one had the same potential to do anything, but sadhana enlivened the potential. He said: "Those who forget their own nature, their Godly essence, forget the power within themselves. Our real nature most often is mistaken by others. They prefer to believe in a miracle of the supernatural, rather than the inner strength of the powers that all of us possess." For him, the boat rescue was merely another proof of the power of the God within.

Jai MAA!........More to come......:-)

Guest guest

This is amazing! Thank You Shree Maa and Ramya!

Where are these stories coming from? A book or Maa's memory?

Can more speak a little on the specific sadhanas that Trailinga Swamiji practiced?

Jai Maa!

Surya

-

n_ramya108

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 10:31 AM

Beloved Family,

Please share your understanding and learning with everybody! Thank you!

If you missed the first part of the story, you can find it at:

http://www.shreemaa.org/drupal/node/353

When Shivaram was 40 years old, his father died. He had a great desire to leave the world and take up the life of a religious mendicant, but his Mother requested him to remain with her so long as she maintained her body. She promised him that if he would stay with her until her death, he would find the highest blessings and the ultimate liberation. He agreed, and remained in the family home.

When his mother died twelve years later, he was freed from the debts of family karma, and being accountable to no one, he moved off to live the life of a wandering sadhu. He started his sadhana in the local cremation grounds, where he remained seeking wisdom for 20 years.

An order from God led him on a search for his Guru,Yogi Rattananda Saraswati. Together, they made spiritual pilgrimage on foot across the North and South of India, and ultimately came to Pushkar Lake. It was here that the yogi initiated Shivaram into sannyas dharma, and gave him the name Ganapati Saraswati. Shortly after the initiation, his guru left the body and Ganapati remained there and performed spiritual practices for 10 years.

After the completion of this sadhana, he walked to Rameshwaram in South India. It is here that the first of a number of powerful miracles certified the depth of his yogic powers.

The story is told that he stopped and blessed the corpse of a young child amidst a large funeral procession. Much to the surprise of all the thousand or so mourners, the boy suddenly came to life. Without a word the saint disappeared.

Ganapati continued his pilgrimages throughout India and came to practice sadhana in Nepal's deep forests. A Nepalese story tells of a King (huntsman) who was on a safari in that region, and how, although a gifted marksman, could not seem to shoot a tiger. Despite repeated misses, the King insisted on getting the tiger and pursued it with all his might. The tiger chase brought the King to a yogi sitting amiably with the roaring beast. The yogi gently stroked the frightened animal, while the King looked on in amazement. Yogi Ganapati beckoned the King closer to give him this marvellous advice, "Give up your fear, Oh King, for the tiger will not harm you. God has created everything. Give love, and He will give you love. Always remember this."

Ganapati revealed the power of love in his simple yet heroic gesture. Later, the King returned to Kathmandu spreading news of the Saint and the tiger. Many people aroused with devotion travelled to the jungle for his blessings and Ganapati's fame began to spread. One weeping widow threw her dead child at the feet of the saint. Moved by compassion, Ganapati touched the corpse and revived it. Again, Ganapati disappeared without a trace.

One day Trailinga Swami was sitting outside the Pashupatinath Temple of Lord Shiva in Kathmandu,Nepal. The King's daughter had prepared a special garden of flowers with which to worship Shiva in a special puja for her marraige. With great devotion she performed the puja and put the garland on the Shiva lingam.

When she came out from the temple, she saw a naked sadhu wearing the same flower mala. "You should marry me!" he called to her, showing that he was wearing her mala.

She was abashed. "That crazy sadhu has stolen the flowers from my puja!" she called.

"Go in and see for yourself," replied the Swami.

She went into the temple only to find the offered garland was still draped over the Shiva lingam. Coming outside again, she saw that it was around the sadhu's necek. It was in two places at the same time! Both on the Shiva lingam and on the sadhu's neck! How could that be?

"Go, go," he said in benediction. "I accept your offering of worship. You'll find a good husband."

Returning to her home at the palace, she told her father of the extraordinary experience she had at the temple. "It must have been Trailinga Swami," replied the King. "Just while you were praying in the temple, we received a proposal for your marraige from a most worthy prince."

The princess was married and enjoyed a most blessed life.

At the Markendeya Ashram in Northern India, Ganapati did his Sadhana along the banks of the Narmada River. There he encountered a powerful Saint of the region, known as Kaki Baba.

One day Kaki Baba saw a beautiful scene:

All the rivers water was milk, and the newly arrived Swami was drinking it.

Kaki Baba understood the vision meant that Ganapati, now known as Trailinga Swami, had the power to drink the milk of the river, and that Mother Narmada provided this milk for Trailinga Swami. Also wishing to partake of the prasad, Kaki Baba went to the riverbank to drink, only to find the milk was just plain water.

The beloved Trailinga Swami stayed there for 8 years performing his Sadhana in the area. Trailinga Swami used to sit outside during the worst storms, despite persistent pleas from his disciples. Continually he would tell them, "Don't worry about me."

One day he went out into the river to rescue a sinking boat single handedly. Trailinga Swami knew that every one had the same potential to do anything, but sadhana enlivened the potential. He said: "Those who forget their own nature, their Godly essence, forget the power within themselves. Our real nature most often is mistaken by others. They prefer to believe in a miracle of the supernatural, rather than the inner strength of the powers that all of us possess." For him, the boat rescue was merely another proof of the power of the God within.

Jai MAA!........More to come......:-)

Guest guest

Dear Ramya and all,

I am very happy to hear about Trailinga Swami; I had read his name but

never heard any of the stories about him. And he is such an inspiring

example. Of course, he is in a league of his own, but I do derive

encouragement from the thought that after serving his mother, he

stayed in the local cremation ground for 20 years (!) seeking wisdom,

and that only then did God lead him to his Guru. To me, this is a

great example of faith and persistence and trust that God's guidance

will come in God's own good time.

Also, I love the story about the Saint and the tiger. Especially in

these times, when everyone seems to fear everyone else, I think

remembering this story will help me not to be taken in by appearances

so easily. 'Give love and He will give you love'; this is such a great

promise. And what is important, I feel, is that in this saying 'give

love' comes first: give love with no conditions attached, no 'I will

love you if you behave, if you are good, if you do like I do'. Just

'give love', allow the Presence of God to present itself in whatever

shape or form. I do think we need to use discrimination and maybe love

some beings from a distance for a while (I seem to remember Shree

Ramakrishna saying something to the effect that 'even though all

beings are manifestations of the Divine, it is wise not to walk to

closely to Narayana Tiger'), but to me this story has a very practical

lesson: start changing your initial reaction of rejection and fear

based on appearances into acts of acceptance and love: change 'what do

you want from me' in 'how can I help you' and see what happens.

with love,

Henny

, "n_ramya108" <n_ramya108

wrote:

>

> Beloved Family,

>

> Please share your understanding and learning with everybody! Thank

you!

>

> If you missed the first part of the story, you can find it at:

>

> http://www.shreemaa.org/drupal/node/353

>

>

> *******************

>

> When Shivaram was 40 years old, his father died. He had a great

desire to leave the world and take up the life of a religious

mendicant, but his Mother requested him to remain with her so long as

she maintained her body. She promised him that if he would stay with

her until her death, he would find the highest blessings and the

ultimate liberation. He agreed, and remained in the family home.

>

> When his mother died twelve years later, he was freed from the debts

of family karma, and being accountable to no one, he moved off to live

the life of a wandering sadhu. He started his sadhana in the local

cremation grounds, where he remained seeking wisdom for 20 years.

>

> An order from God led him on a search for his Guru,Yogi Rattananda

Saraswati. Together, they made spiritual pilgrimage on foot across

the North and South of India, and ultimately came to Pushkar Lake. It

was here that the yogi initiated Shivaram into sannyas dharma, and

gave him the name Ganapati Saraswati. Shortly after the initiation,

his guru left the body and Ganapati remained there and performed

spiritual practices for 10 years.

>

> After the completion of this sadhana, he walked to Rameshwaram in

South India. It is here that the first of a number of powerful

miracles certified the depth of his yogic powers.

>

> The story is told that he stopped and blessed the corpse of a young

child amidst a large funeral procession. Much to the surprise of all

the thousand or so mourners, the boy suddenly came to life. Without a

word the saint disappeared.

>

> Ganapati continued his pilgrimages throughout India and came to

practice sadhana in Nepal's deep forests. A Nepalese story tells of a

King (huntsman) who was on a safari in that region, and how, although

a gifted marksman, could not seem to shoot a tiger. Despite repeated

misses, the King insisted on getting the tiger and pursued it with all

his might. The tiger chase brought the King to a yogi sitting amiably

with the roaring beast. The yogi gently stroked the frightened

animal, while the King looked on in amazement. Yogi Ganapati beckoned

the King closer to give him this marvellous advice, "Give up your

fear, Oh King, for the tiger will not harm you. God has created

everything. Give love, and He will give you love. Always remember

this."

>

> Ganapati revealed the power of love in his simple yet heroic

gesture. Later, the King returned to Kathmandu spreading news of the

Saint and the tiger. Many people aroused with devotion travelled to

the jungle for his blessings and Ganapati's fame began to spread. One

weeping widow threw her dead child at the feet of the saint. Moved by

compassion, Ganapati touched the corpse and revived it. Again,

Ganapati disappeared without a trace.

>

> One day Trailinga Swami was sitting outside the Pashupatinath Temple

of Lord Shiva in Kathmandu,Nepal. The King's daughter had prepared a

special garden of flowers with which to worship Shiva in a special

puja for her marraige. With great devotion she performed the puja and

put the garland on the Shiva lingam.

>

> When she came out from the temple, she saw a naked sadhu wearing the

same flower mala. "You should marry me!" he called to her, showing

that he was wearing her mala.

>

> She was abashed. "That crazy sadhu has stolen the flowers from my

puja!" she called.

>

> "Go in and see for yourself," replied the Swami.

>

> She went into the temple only to find the offered garland was still

draped over the Shiva lingam. Coming outside again, she saw that it

was around the sadhu's necek. It was in two places at the same time!

Both on the Shiva lingam and on the sadhu's neck! How could that be?

>

> "Go, go," he said in benediction. "I accept your offering of

worship. You'll find a good husband."

>

> Returning to her home at the palace, she told her father of the

extraordinary experience she had at the temple. "It must have been

Trailinga Swami," replied the King. "Just while you were praying in

the temple, we received a proposal for your marraige from a most

worthy prince."

>

> The princess was married and enjoyed a most blessed life.

>

> At the Markendeya Ashram in Northern India, Ganapati did his Sadhana

along the banks of the Narmada River. There he encountered a powerful

Saint of the region, known as Kaki Baba.

>

> One day Kaki Baba saw a beautiful scene:

>

> All the rivers water was milk, and the newly arrived Swami was

drinking it.

>

> Kaki Baba understood the vision meant that Ganapati, now known as

Trailinga Swami, had the power to drink the milk of the river, and

that Mother Narmada provided this milk for Trailinga Swami. Also

wishing to partake of the prasad, Kaki Baba went to the riverbank to

drink, only to find the milk was just plain water.

>

> The beloved Trailinga Swami stayed there for 8 years performing his

Sadhana in the area. Trailinga Swami used to sit outside during the

worst storms, despite persistent pleas from his disciples.

Continually he would tell them, "Don't worry about me."

>

> One day he went out into the river to rescue a sinking boat single

handedly. Trailinga Swami knew that every one had the same potential

to do anything, but sadhana enlivened the potential. He said: "Those

who forget their own nature, their Godly essence, forget the power

within themselves. Our real nature most often is mistaken by others.

They prefer to believe in a miracle of the supernatural, rather than

the inner strength of the powers that all of us possess." For him,

the boat rescue was merely another proof of the power of the God

within.

>

> Jai MAA!........More to come......:-)

>

Guest guest

ramya posted:

....Ganapati continued his pilgrimages throughout India and came to practice

sadhana in Nepal's deep forests. A Nepalese story tells of a King (huntsman)

who was on a safari in that region, and how, although a gifted marksman,

could not seem to shoot a tiger. Despite repeated misses, the King insisted on

getting the tiger and pursued it with all his might. The tiger chase brought

the King to a yogi sitting amiably with the roaring beast. The yogi gently

stroked the frightened animal, while the King looked on in amazement. Yogi

Ganapati beckoned the King closer to give him this marvellous advice, "Give up

your fear, Oh King, for the tiger will not harm you. God has created

everything. Give love, and He will give you love. Always remember this."

....One day he went out into the river to rescue a sinking boat single

handedly. Trailinga Swami knew that every one had the same potential to do

anything, but sadhana enlivened the potential. He said: "Those who forget their own

nature, their Godly essence, forget the power within themselves. Our real

nature most often is mistaken by others. They prefer to believe in a miracle

of the supernatural, rather than the inner strength of the powers that all of

us possess." For him, the boat rescue was merely another proof of the power

of the God within.

Dear Maa ~ thank you so much for giving us this second chapter in the story

of Trailinga Swami, and thank you ramya for bringing it to us. What a powerful

story. Reading of the miracles Trailinga Swami performed reminded me of the

story in "Sahib Sadhu" of Swamiji in the village that had experienced the

drought. Swamiji sat in the top of the tree, chanting the Chandi, with total

Love and Focus on the Goal, and all the rain, and more, needed by the village,

responded to his devotion and belief.

To me, the two segments of the story above, the one about the Lion and the

one about the boat, synopsize, for me, the essential teachings of Trailinga

Swami. I could be wrong, since all I know about him is through these two stores

from Maa. But, in my heart, the essence of the one is Love, and the essence

of the other is the Divine Within, and these are, I feel, One and the Same.

And in both cases, the "lesson," the Truth, was given in a very

straightforward, unselfconscious manner.

Traililnga Swami's devotion to his mother, his Guru, his sadhana, and his

giving to others in need, all speak to me of a heart and soul that is filled

with Love of the Divine and Identity with the Divine, without question. His

journey: his devotion, his tapas, his sadhana, and his plain speaking of the

Truth speak to me of total focus on the Goal, his complete surrender to the path

he had chosen, and his own Love for the Divine and all of creation as a

reflection and embodiment of the Divine.

"God has created everything." And ... "Those who forget their own nature,

their Godly essence, forget the power within themselves..." Trailinga Swami, as

one of my colleagues used to say, "gave it away." He showed the validity of

these statements in his own behavior, in what he did for and gave to others,

and in what he so plainly spoke.

I believe these Truths with all my being, but I forget ... a lot. I often

when I forget, it is because of fear ... because I have my own Lions. Yet at the

same time, I love the Lion. How to reconcile these opposing states ~ through

sadhana, focus on the Goal, love for the Divine within all things, and ...

wonderful stories from Shree Maa. These reconcile the duality and help me

remember.

And I think, if we remember often enough, then eventually, we become the

Truth ... although for one like me, it seems a long, slow path, and I'm sure one

over additional lifetimes. But once a person has heard or seen or experienced

the Love, the Love that Shree Maa and Swamiji give so unstintingly to their

own sadhana and to their devotees, the Love of the Divine, The Love that

permeates even the lion; no matter how hard the path gets, or how confused I

become, or how hard headed I may be, there is a part of me that remembers, that

sings to me in the Cave of my Heart, that this is Love, is True, and it is my

Home.

Jai Maa! ~ Linda

Guest guest

Dear Surya, Henny, Devanath, Linda and Everybody!

Thanks for sharing about Trailinga Swami. Surya - guess Devanath answered your

question about the story - Maa tells lots of Trailing Swami stories! About His sadhana --

we are seeing Him in samadhi or performing miracles. He was a Shaivite and prayed to

Divine Mother and was Digambar....that's what we know!

Ok - next part of the story coming up! Trailinga Swami at the bank of Ganga! Jai Trailinga

Swami! Jai Ganga Maiyya!

ramya :)

Guest guest

, "n_ramya108" <n_ramya108

wrote:

Beloved Family,

Please share your understanding and learning with everybody! Thank

you!

-----------------

Dear Ramya,

Please share with Shree Maa my appreciation for her stories.

I have been out of circulation the last few weeks due to

circumstances that have kept me from easy computer access. I just

finished catching up on posts and would like to offer my reflection

on the second Trilinga Swamiji story.

Today while at my grandparents house, I was helping my cousin cut

some wood to repair a piece of furniture. He pointed out to me that a

bird had gotten into the basement and that he could not open the door

because his dog and cat would chase it. I helped him with the task at

hand and then went to get a towel, approached the bird and when near,

quieted my energy with Durga's bija mantra - Hrim, settled into the

associated silence and quiet energy place, projected my intention to

the bird, then without hesitation I gently approached the bird, took

it gently in the towel, then outside, and released it to fly to the

trees.

It was with the bija mantra and the associated silence that I was

able to enter a neural place where only She exists (in the form of

HRIM). I was no threat. The trust of the bird was a blessing. The

interaction was simply something to be done. We met in the silence

and then each went our own way.

In the story Trailinga Swami (Part 2)

He said: "Those who forget their own nature, their Godly essence,

forget the power within themselves. Others most often mistake our

real nature. They prefer to believe in a miracle of the

supernatural, rather than the inner strength of the powers that all

of us possess." I think the Siddhis are naturally a part of creation,

and that it is ego and fear (too much and too little) that make them

seem miraculous. I believe that so long as we are surrendered in HER,

we can be used as a surgeon or an artist uses their instruments. What

a blessing to have the saints and avatars to show us what is possible

and what bhava to have. Pranams to Shree Maa, the source of our

wisdom. May She help us to remember our real nature.

With love,

Sadhu Maa