IndiaDivine.org

New find of sri Ramakrishna's Gospel

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Namaskars.

A new find of sri Ramakrishna's gospel is at Prabuddha Bharata web site, February issue.

A rare one from Sri Ma's diaries.

http://www.advaitaonline.com/magazine/2006-02/02-04.htm

An Extract from the same is givenbelow:

After Sri Ramakrishna’s Passing Away1

M (MAHENDRA NATH GUPTA)

TRANS. SWAMI CHETANANANDA

The five volumes of Sri Sri Ramakrishna Kathamrita, recorded by M (Mahendra Nath Gupta) in Bengali, were not written in chronological order. At the end of the first four volumes, M added some information about the disciples of the Master and the Ramakrishna monastery at Baranagore that was established after Sri Ramakrishna’s passing away. A few years ago, some researchers discovered that four of M’s diary entries (25 August 1886, 2 September 1886, 12 October 1886, and 17 February 1887) had been published in 1904 in the Navya Bharat (Jyaishtha-Asharh 1311 BE), a monthly magazine. Perhaps M intended to add these entries at the end of the fifth volume of the Kathamrita, but unfortunately that volume was only published posthumously. I have translated this newly found material from Bengali into English. I must acknowledge that I have used some songs from Swami Nikhilananda’s translation, The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna, which I have referred to in the endnotes. In this precious

historical record we learn that the Ramakrishna Math at Baranagore was inaugurated sometime before 12 October 1886. —Translator

Chapter 1

Wednesday, 25 August 1886

It has been ten days since Sri Ramakrishna went to his own abode, leaving his devotees behind. Imbued with renunciation, Naren­dra and his brother disciples have been practicsing sadhana.

Narendra and the Master’s devotees have assembled in the parlour of Balaram Basu’s house in Calcutta. They are like motherless orphans. By merely looking at them, one can feel their intense grief, the result of the Master’s passing away. One thought fills their minds: The Master has gone to his own abode; what should we do now? The devotees have no place where these young disciples can stay together. They are forced to return home for food and shelter every day. The thread holding the pearls together as a necklace has broken, and the group is about to fall apart. The disciples continually think: Where shall we go? What shall we do? Sitting in seclusion, they think of the Master and cry for him.

The Holy Mother now lives in Vrindaban. Narendra and M are talking about her. One day at the Cossipore garden house, the young devotees told Sri Ramakrishna about the Holy Mother’s affection for them. At that time she was living at the garden house to serve the Master. The disciples told the Master that they had never met another woman as large-hearted as she was.

M: ‘What did the Master say?’

Narendra: ‘The Master began to laugh and then said: “She is my Shakti [Power]. So she loves all.”’

Salutations

Chetan

Chetan Merani

Get on board. You're invited to try the new Mail Beta.