IndiaDivine.org

Who is the Knower?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Namaste, respected members,

I have not been able to read the mails posted by our respected members for some time. However, I glanced through some of them and with regard to “Who is the Knower”, I thought I would mention the following :

Recently I came across a book by Vidyaratna P.N. Menon, BA, BL, on Atma Bodha of Sri Shankaracharya. He has mentioned the following in the introduction:

“The Self, is the basis of all our knowledge. In knowing anything, we know, our self is the knower. As such, whatever we know, whatever we think or whatever we believe – all these exist as objects of a “knowing self”, and so, the entire world exists as the object of a knowing self. In knowing the world, we know two things, one the self as the subject of knowledge, and the other the world as the object of knowledge. Though these are two distinct entities, they are in fact one and the same. The distinction of the world from the self is only apparent and not real. Things which are objects of our knowledge are found to be pervaded by self, knowledge (i.e. gnanam). The essence of the self is knowledge i.e. gnanam, which cannot be parted from it. Since then, as every object is pervaded by knowledge – the essence of self – no object can be distinct from the self. Everything is really comprehended in the self.

In knowing the world, we know nothing but the self.

The notion of subject and object is only in vyavaharika or conventional due to our ignorance which gets removed on rising of self knowledge.”

IMHO, the above gives one some idea as to ”who is the knower”.

With warm regards to all,

Mani

P.S. I am in Trivandrum since the last couple of days and will be here for a few days. Is there anybody from Trivandrum in our Group? Do email to me so that we can try and get together here.

R. S. Mani

Guest guest

Sir,

I send u a mail few days before regarding the matter "Kaupina". I didn;t get any response from you...

Regards,

Hari

"R.S.MANI" <r_s_mani > wrote:

Namaste, respected members,

I have not been able to read the mails posted by our respected members for some time. However, I glanced through some of them and with regard to “Who is the Knower”, I thought I would mention the following :

Recently I came across a book by Vidyaratna P.N. Menon, BA, BL, on Atma Bodha of Sri Shankaracharya. He has mentioned the following in the introduction:

“The Self, is the basis of all our knowledge. In knowing anything, we know, our self is the knower. As such, whatever we know, whatever we think or whatever we believe – all these exist as objects of a “knowing self”, and so, the entire world exists as the object of a knowing self. In knowing the world, we know two things, one the self as the subject of knowledge, and the other the world as the object of knowledge. Though these are two distinct entities, they are in fact one and the same. The distinction of the world from the self is only apparent and not real. Things which are objects of our knowledge are found to be pervaded by self, knowledge (i.e. gnanam).. The essence of the self is knowledge i.e. gnanam, which cannot be parted from it. Since then, as every object is pervaded by knowledge – the essence of self – no object can be distinct from the self. Everything is really comprehended in the self.

In knowing the world, we know nothing but the self.

The notion of subject and object is only in vyavaharika or conventional due to our ignorance which gets removed on rising of self knowledge.”

IMHO, the above gives one some idea as to ”who is the knower”.

With warm regards to all,

Mani

P.S. I am in Trivandrum since the last couple of days and will be here for a few days. Is there anybody from Trivandrum in our Group? Do email to me so that we can try and get together here.

R. S. Mani