IndiaDivine.org

Sports and God...

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Do sports like soccer have a place in the life of a Vaishnava?

I don't know for sure but I read in one thing the main thing is just to try and chant and follow regulative principles as best you can. You don't have to give up your occupation, wife and family and I would assume recreational activities either just try and add Krishna to your life and your life will be successful even if you still have material activities. Just because a person is materially inclined doesn't prevent them from worshipping Krishna that's what I read somewhere but I could be wrong.

Guest guest

I'm confused. I thought God didn't want us to participate in the world?

have you heard the spiritual phrase: "be in the world, but not of the world."

people can't meditate and chant all day. Kids need sport activities and games to keep them out of trouble, and keep them occupied, so they don't turn to drugs, etc.

Sports are good for your health anyway. :)

Guest guest

I thinks sports are good for kids.

Kids in western countries shouldn't be raised to feel like cult members or outcastes.

ISKCON wasn't able to create a successful working model of a microcosm society of devotees, so most devotees are now regular working class people in American cities and town.

It is impossible to raise children in these circumstances without allowing them to feel like normal children.

My youngest daughter has played soccer for several years and she loves it.

I don't see any harm in it.

Guest guest

I thinks sports are good for kids.

Kids in western countries shouldn't be raised to feel like cult members or outcastes.

ISKCON wasn't able to create a successful working model of a microcosm society of devotees, so most devotees are now regular working class people in American cities and town.

It is impossible to raise children in these circumstances without allowing them to feel like normal children.

My youngest daughter has played soccer for several years and she loves it.

I don't see any harm in it.

I agree. We'd surely be labelled as cultists, and brainwashers of children, if we forbid them from playing games and sports, and told them they were bad. Sheesh.

Sports are very popular in India, especially cricket and soccer. Hindus have never forbidden sports. This is pure cult nonsense, to suggest that sports are sinful.

prahlada maharaj when he was kid asked his fellow mates to listen to his commentry ratherr than wasting time in playing. But that was differnt time, and now the time is differnt. As Sripada Madhwa used to be one of the greatest sportive kids during his childhood. He used to jump from high hill to the ground at one stretch ad used to defeat all his frinds in Wrestling. He even used o advise his desciples to take sport and excersise to keep themselves fit. Without proper health, where can there be devotion?

there is a saying in one of the regional langauges in India, Kalakke Thakka Kola meaning go according to the time

hari hari bol

I was always told that "Srila Prabhupada said" that swimming was a vaisnava sport.

Basically sports are for kids. It is healthy and gives them added structure. If it wasn't for baseball basketball and football through my local boy's club in Seattle I can see where I would have gotten in a lot more trouble then I did.

Srila Prabhupada played soccer as a kid. I believe he was a goalie. Wasn't Madvacarya an accomplished stick fighter?

There is room for variety and personal differences in devotion service.