Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Spirituality and Management

Mr. Ram Jethmalani

Former Law Minister

as interviewed by pradeep nambiar for sanskar tv 09321027318

“The youth should live a life guided by their intellect and inspired by love”

“On Leadership I learnt a few things from Mahatma Gandhi but I found faults in many things. I learnt few things from Pandit Nehru but he was a disaster on many fronts. There can be no single idol; the youth should never dwarf the scope of their choice”

“The youth should create confidence in their integrity of character, so that people trust them that will be their greatest asset to reach great heights in their mortal adventure”

How does the youth understand his purpose of life?

The youth is unlikely to have this thought in mind. You think about this at a ripe age under the prospect of death. Honestly I feel there is no answer to this. Therefore there are two options to this. A] Give up the quest of these answers. B] Follow the scriptures, somebody’s assertion or some opinions.

With this kind of brain you can never perceive the ultimate truth. The message by the time it reaches the brain has been a distorted reality. Pyrrho - the Greek philosopher came to this conclusion that it is useless to try to find answers, unless providence gives the grace to understand the riddles of life.

When the idea of making somebody happy makes you happy, that is the greatest need of the soul that is the only religion.

Which is the best form of leadership and why?

There can be no one idol. I learnt a few things from Mahatma Gandhi but I found faults in many things. I learnt a few things from Pandit Nehru but he was a disaster on many fronts. The youth should never dwarf the scope of their choice. He should look at everybody without prejudice and learn all the good things but should be responsible for all his actions.

Bhagavad-Gita and Management?

The Bhagavad-Gita is a confusing document. It gives us one great truth that percolated to the German philosophy mostly highlighted by Emmanuel Kant about the kingdom of aids and not the kingdom of needs. That to follow your inner voice and not be worried about results and consequences. But our inner voice could be the voice of a thief or a tyrant. Therefore the ultimate test would be to dissect things with finite intellect and beyond that; the parameter would be whether your action is spreading happiness.

What is success in life?

Success depends on a variety of circumstances which we have no control over. But success should never be an occasion for arrogance or self adulation. It all depends on the genetically engineered advantageous circumstances beyond our control. The performance engineered by our genes could have also been bad or worse. Therefore we should never be disheartened by failure or arrogant due to success. We have to keep up our endeavor. As marriage is the end of romance, success is at the end of honest endeavor.

How does the youth combat adversity?

Adverse circumstances are a spur to perform. I came to Ulhasnagar after partition from Pakistan with Rs. 10 in my pocket and an unknown indeterminate future before me. I conquered adverse circumstances but there were others who could not do what I did. The youth has to conquer adversity but there should be neither arrogance nor despondency.

What is your motto in life?

Every morning I pray to God, don’t send me back to the world filled with sorrow and suffering. Buddha was right when he said that. Accumulation of wealth is no crime, only then can you share it with the society. You cannot lead a life of a monk asking for alms. In this world live a life guided by intellect and inspired by love.

Message to the youth?

Create confidence in the integrity of your character, so that people trust you. That will be your greatest asset to reach great heights in this mortal adventure. Our Prime Minister is not the brilliant of persons nor does he capture the imaginations of the crowd. But people trust that he will not put his hands in their pockets. Industry has to be coupled with integrity. The silver spoon that one is born with often disappears if not coupled with industry. Rest, leave it to God.

Talk is cheap. Use Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls. Great rates starting at 1¢/min.