IndiaDivine.org

Question about Non-Veg Diet and Vipassana

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I recently got Mantra from Ma Amma in Washington, DC. During orientation our group was told that there are no specific dietary regulations for mantra initiates. I also asked Swami Ji, he said Eggs and Fish are OK. But chicken should be consumed in lesser quantities perhaps not more than once a week.

I am lacto- vegetarin since last four years. Three years ago, I developed Diabetes and Hypothyroid. My doctors are suggesting me to eat baked fish and chicken in my daily diet. I have a strong stigma that eating non-veg food may leads to lower reincarnation into animal body.

I would like to know what Amma ji's guidelines about diet are. Is non-vegetarian food permitted? I did not find any document on his web site about dietary regulations.

I had been doing Vipassana meditation for last one year. Is it OK to combine both techniques???.

I would appreciate, If someone from the group may help me. Om Namah Shivaya.

Sanjeev

See the all-new, redesigned .com. Check it out.

Guest guest

Dear Sanjeev,

In general, Amma does suggest a vegetarian diet for spiritual aspirants. However, she very

rarely contradicts medical advice given to her devotees (especially householder devotees),

including advice for people with certain health conditions to consume animal protein. I've

even heard of Amma, herself, advising people to eat eggs or fish or chicken for health

reasons. Taken together with Swamiji's advice, I would try not to worry about it. However,

if you are really concerned, you might just ask Amma next time you see her.

When I learned Amma's meditation technique (IAM), the teacher said it was fine to do other

types of spiritual practice, including other meditations, but just to avoid mixing them up.

Be well,

Iswari

Ammachi, Sanjeev Chopra <schopra757 wrote:

>

> I recently got Mantra from Ma Amma in Washington, DC. During orientation our group

was told that there are no specific dietary regulations for mantra initiates. I also asked

Swami Ji, he said Eggs and Fish are OK. But chicken should be consumed in lesser

quantities perhaps not more than once a week.

> I am lacto- vegetarin since last four years. Three years ago, I developed Diabetes and

Hypothyroid. My doctors are suggesting me to eat baked fish and chicken in my daily diet.

I have a strong stigma that eating non-veg food may leads to lower reincarnation into

animal body.

>

> I would like to know what Amma ji's guidelines about diet are. Is non-vegetarian food

permitted? I did not find any document on his web site about dietary regulations.

>

> I had been doing Vipassana meditation for last one year. Is it OK to combine both

techniques???.

>

> I would appreciate, If someone from the group may help me. Om Namah Shivaya.

>

> Sanjeev