IndiaDivine.org

A small doubt in Gita

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Learned Members of the group,

Namaskarams,

While reading Gita I got a small doubt which may appear trivial but out of curiosity i want to get a clarification from the learned members. In the second chapter in the 45th verse Lord asks Arjuna to get freed from the gunatraya and become a Niryogakhemah and Atmavan. But he again says in the IX th chapter that he will look after the Yoga kshema of the the people who worship him as their innermost self. "Tesham nityabhiyuktanam yogakshemam vahamyaham". These statements apparently cotradictory and require reconciliation. I hope your learned members will through some light on it.

yorurs sincerely

Moses Yesupadam

Messenger with Voice. Make PC-to-Phone Calls to the US (and 30+ countries) for 2¢/min or less.

Guest guest

Namaste Moses,

It is only by getting such doubts that we progress in vedanta. Doubts are always welcome.Doubts come up only when the first step of shravanam is taken..

The second chapter of the Gita covers the entire ideas presented in the Gita. One can understand all the concepts which unfold Atmaj~nAna in the second chapter. the other chapters are an expansion of this.

Ch II. 45.

vedah triguNya viShayah - vedas have their subject matter realted to the three qualities Oh Arjuna

nistraigunyah bhava - be one who is free from the three fold qualities - gunas.

nirdvandvah bhava - be one who is free from the sorrow of pairs of opposites.

nitya sattvasthah bhav - be the one who is ever established in sattva guNa

niryogaxemah bhava - be one who is free from the anxieties of acquiring and protecting

AtmvAn bhava - be the one who is a master of oneself.

For those people who are living life to live and make merry, bhoga and aishvaraya, enjoyments and power, the vedas becaomes triguNya viShaya.

One usually looks at the scriptures for what one wants to see. Like visiting a hardware store, for picking up what ever you require.There are a number of topics including vedanta.

Krishna is saying that Arjuna has had enough and more of the trigunya vishaya part of the veda and it was time for him to study vedanta.

Shankara explains yogaxema in his bhashyam gaining what you dont have is yoga, something that is not with you, something that is desirable, something that you want to accomplish.

Xema means to protect what you have already gained.

getting married is yoga, and making it work is xema.

applying for a job, attending interviews etc is yoga, retaining the job that you have got is xema.

Krishna is saying oh Arjuna, 'May you be the person , who has no concerns or anxiety due to yoga or xema.

vedanta will be only in the lips, will not even enter the throat, much less to the

heart, if the student has anxiety or concerns.

Krishna says, ' May you be the one whose mind and senses are with yoou, may you be AtmavAn, master of yourself. Here Atma refers to the body - mind- sense complex. because you have a body , mind - sense complex - what is being said here is - 'May you have them, and may they not have you,' May you not be in the hands of the fancies. May your mind be with you. May be alert, may you be together.

sAdhana catuShTayam is indicated.

This is spoken through out the Gita. Otherwise krishnas words would have been and advice not a teaching.

This verse tells us what Krishna is going to teach to student Arjuna. Arjuna is still a karta/` bhokta. I am the doer, I am the enjoyer.

Ch 9.Verse 22

The 8th chapter ascertains the nature of brahman, that is to be meditated upon, and then, the goal of one who is engaged in meditation on It

In the ninth chapter Krishna, after ascertaining the nature of brahman that is to be known, the goal of the person, who is steadfast in knowledge of brahman, is stated.

Krishna is unfolding Atmaj~nana step by step to Arjuna.

In this chapter, He eulogises knowledge in the beginning, then unfolds Isvara, the worship, om kara, and about devotees bhakta laxanam and the blessings that the bhakta receives.

This verse is addressed to Bhakta Arjuna.

yogaxemaM meaning does not change. Same meaning as above.

but the difference is in "vahAmi aham." As a bhakta, when he sees Lord every where and in everything in the creation, where is the thought of 'I' and 'mine' exist? its all Isvara. The bhakta's basic worldly requirements, Isvara takes care of.

vah means to bear. vahami aham - I bear, I support, I take care of, I carry..

vah is generally used to mean to carry a heavy load or burden.

What seemes to be a huge burden, yoga and xema, for the human beings,

is Lord's promise/assurance to the bhakta, that a total surrender unto Him, He takes care and He does.aham vahAmi - Gives an insight in understanding Isvara.

Very same Arjuna, yoga xema, word meaning is the same, the attitude is different, and levels of understanding is different. Chapters are different, 2nd and 9th. In between 2nd and 9th a lot has been taught. Arjuna has also gained maturity from the 2nd to the 9th chapter. We understand this from Arjuna's questioning.

I hope I have not confused you further. May you have more doubts, only then you will study deeper and gain clarity.

om namo narayanaya

Lakshmi Muthuswamy

moses yesupadam <moses_yesupadam > wrote: Learned Members of the group,

Namaskarams,

While reading Gita I got a small doubt which may appear trivial but out of curiosity i want to get a clarification from the learned members. In the second chapter in the 45th verse Lord asks Arjuna to get freed from the gunatraya and become a Niryogakhemah and Atmavan. But he again says in the IX th chapter that he will look after the Yoga kshema of the the people who worship him as their innermost self. "Tesham nityabhiyuktanam yogakshemam vahamyaham". These statements apparently cotradictory and require reconciliation. I hope your learned members will through some light on it.

yorurs sincerely

Moses Yesupadam

Messenger with Voice. Make PC-to-Phone Calls to the US (and 30+ countries) for 2¢/min or less.

Guest guest

advaitin, moses yesupadam

<moses_yesupadam wrote:

>

> Learned Members of the group,

> > Namaskarams,

>

> While reading Gita I got a small doubt which may appear trivial

but out of curiosity i want to get a clarification from the learned

members. In the second chapter in the 45th verse Lord asks Arjuna to

get freed from the gunatraya and become a Niryogakhemah and Atmavan.

But he again says in the IX th chapter that he will look after the

Yoga kshema of the the people who worship him as their innermost

self. "Tesham nityabhiyuktanam yogakshemam vahamyaham". These

statements apparently cotradictory and require reconciliation. >

>

>

>

Guest guest

advaitin, moses yesupadam

<moses_yesupadam wrote:

>

Namaste Sri Yesupadam:

Already Profvkji and Lakshmiji have provided detailed answers to your

question. Let me try to provide you an answer with a different

perspective. Let us ask ourselves (by contemplating within) the

question - Who took care of our welfare (Yoga) and protection

(Kshemam)? The child did not have the 'responsibility' for its

Yogakshemam and this is the moment of Truth!

Though in appearance look like an adult, we are still the children of

the Kingdom of the Lord. But we have developed the Ego and we want to

assume the 'Doership' and responsibility for our Yogakshemam.

Bhagawan Sri Krishna tells Arjuna in chapter 2, verse 45 that he

should relinguish the doership and responsibility of Yogakshemam.

Lord Krishna in verse 47 states Arjuna's responsibility is only to

act and nothing more!

The bottom-line message of both verses (chapter 2, verse 45 and

chapter 9, verse 45) is to reinforce the fact that the 'Yogakshemam'

is always the responsibility of the Lord. Our focus should be always

on the Lord (ananya chinthayanthami)and leave the responsibility to

the 'Yogakshemam.' As for as I can see we don't to reconcile if we

agree to abandon our doership!

Warmest regards,

Ram Chandran

> Learned Members of the group,

>

> Namaskarams,

>

> While reading Gita I got a small doubt which may appear trivial but

out of curiosity i want to get a clarification from the learned

members. In the second chapter in the 45th verse Lord asks Arjuna to

get freed from the gunatraya and become a Niryogakhemah and Atmavan.

But he again says in the IX th chapter that he will look after the

Yoga kshema of the the people who worship him as their innermost

self. "Tesham nityabhiyuktanam yogakshemam vahamyaham". These

statements apparently cotradictory and require reconciliation. I

hope your learned members will through some light on it.

>

> yorurs sincerely

>

> Moses Yesupadam

>

>

Guest guest

Respected S/Sri Lakshmiji, VKji, and Ramchandran ji,

Pranaams,

I am thankful to you for your kind replies which cleared my doubt. I am heartened by the care you take to clear the doubts of the novices which encourage people like me to come forwrd with doubts which are not cleared in the individual study of the books. I am very much thankful to Lakshmiji who took lot of pains by giving a detailed reply by explaning the verses word by word in explaning how they are not contradictory.

Further the rplies by Shri VKji and Ramachandranji fully clarified the position that they are not at all contradidictory and infact complimentary to each other.

Thankful to all of you sirs,

Yours sincerely

Moses Yesupadam