IndiaDivine.org

To Gauri on Learning Sanskrit Goal

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Namaste Gauri,

GGG-Go Gauri Go!

May Lord Ganesha and Saraswati Maa bless your efforts towards learning Sanskrit. Just

the other day I was thinking what a blessing it is for anyone to be able to read and

chant from Sanskrit. Shree Maa says that Ramakrishna called Sanskrit the "language of the

Gods." There are many benefits to reading Sanskrit. One of them is that since each letter

of Sanskrit is a yantra in itself, just looking at the letters has a positive effect on your

physiology.

Your post reminded me of the time when Swamiji was teaching some of us Sanskrit. First

we learned the letters which really wasn't that difficult. After that, we would all sit in a

large circle and Swamiji would call on us one by one to read a certain sloka from a

designated scripture out loud. Let me tell you that even though it was a slow process to

get through one sloka at a time, Swamiji remained as patient as ever with each one of us

guiding us letter by letter and sound by sound. I am very thankful that he made us "jump

right in" as he did.

In the same way, I would highly recommend anyone out there to "jump right in" and begin

to learn Sanskrit. Since it is a phonetical language it is rather easy to learn.

Making flash cards is one way to learn the letters as well as writing them down.

As you learn the letters, you can pick up any scripture and begin to identify the letters

within the scripture. Pretty soon you will be able to put the letters together and read little

by little.

On another inspirational note, I am reminded of another devotee here who recently taught

himself to read Sanskrit. He now chants the Chandi in Sanskrit and has even begun to

translate it. Go Bhuv Go.

One other Sanskrit scholar also recommended listening to Swamiji and Shree Maa chant

from one of the scriptures or puja books while following along in the Sanskrit. For

instance, if you have the beginner Shiva puja CD, then you could listen to that and follow

along in the Sanskrit in the beginner Shiva puja book. Or listen to Swamiji chant the Lalita

Trishati and follow along, reading the Sanskrit. The Lalita Trishati can be found in the Guru

and the Goddess book.

Thanks for sharing this inspirational goal Gaur.

GEG-Go Everybody Go!

"Take all of the pleasures of heaven and even those of liberation and count them as one,

all of them together cannot be equal to the pleasure gained from satsanagha, from the

communion with beings of truth."

Sundar Kand (Verse 4 Swami Satyananda Saraswati)

, "gabilu27" <gabilu27 wrote:

>

> I will learn to chant the Chandi direct from Devanagari by making a sankalpa to learn a

few

> letters every day and once i know them, to start doing a couple of slokas a day.

>

> I will learn one sloka a week of several Chandi sections until I know them by heart.

>

> Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaai Maa,

> Gauri

> , Rangan Srinivasan <srini_sadhu@> wrote:

> >

> > Dear Family,

> >

> > Namaste!

> >

> > Thanks for all the fine discussion on goals and God's

> > will. It really helped clarify our thinking. Thank

> > you!

> >

> > Swamiji said that one of the most important scriptures

> > to help set goals is Sadhana Panchakam.

> >

> > We have a slide show on shreemaa.org which has the

> > sanskrit and english translation of Sadhana Panchakam

> > and Swamiji speaking the translation.

> >

> > You can find it at:

> >

> > http://www.shreemaa.org/drupal-4.7.3/node/635

> >

> > Can you please read it and share a goal or two that

> > speaks to your heart and the sankalpa one can take to

> > acheive such a goal.

> >

> > Very eagerly looking forward to hearing from you!

> >

> > Jai MAA!

> >

> > srini

> >

>

Dear Parvathi and Gauri,

Namaste!

Swamiji said the Matrka Nyasa and Bahya Matrka Nyasa are an effective way to learn

Sanskrit. It is in the Cosmic Puja. It involves placing the letters of the Sanskrit alphabet on

various parts of the body and on the Chakras.

Sincerely

srini

, "parv108" <parv108 wrote:

>

>

> Namaste Gauri,

>

> GGG-Go Gauri Go!

>

> May Lord Ganesha and Saraswati Maa bless your efforts towards learning Sanskrit. Just

> the other day I was thinking what a blessing it is for anyone to be able to read and

> chant from Sanskrit. Shree Maa says that Ramakrishna called Sanskrit the "language of

the

> Gods." There are many benefits to reading Sanskrit. One of them is that since each

letter

> of Sanskrit is a yantra in itself, just looking at the letters has a positive effect on your

> physiology.

>

> Your post reminded me of the time when Swamiji was teaching some of us Sanskrit.

First

> we learned the letters which really wasn't that difficult. After that, we would all sit in a

> large circle and Swamiji would call on us one by one to read a certain sloka from a

> designated scripture out loud. Let me tell you that even though it was a slow process to

> get through one sloka at a time, Swamiji remained as patient as ever with each one of

us

> guiding us letter by letter and sound by sound. I am very thankful that he made us

"jump

> right in" as he did.

>

> In the same way, I would highly recommend anyone out there to "jump right in" and

begin

> to learn Sanskrit. Since it is a phonetical language it is rather easy to learn.

> Making flash cards is one way to learn the letters as well as writing them down.

> As you learn the letters, you can pick up any scripture and begin to identify the letters

> within the scripture. Pretty soon you will be able to put the letters together and read

little

> by little.

>

> On another inspirational note, I am reminded of another devotee here who recently

taught

> himself to read Sanskrit. He now chants the Chandi in Sanskrit and has even begun to

> translate it. Go Bhuv Go.

>

> One other Sanskrit scholar also recommended listening to Swamiji and Shree Maa chant

> from one of the scriptures or puja books while following along in the Sanskrit. For

> instance, if you have the beginner Shiva puja CD, then you could listen to that and

follow

> along in the Sanskrit in the beginner Shiva puja book. Or listen to Swamiji chant the

Lalita

> Trishati and follow along, reading the Sanskrit. The Lalita Trishati can be found in the

Guru

> and the Goddess book.

>

> Thanks for sharing this inspirational goal Gaur.

> GEG-Go Everybody Go!

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> "Take all of the pleasures of heaven and even those of liberation and count them as one,

> all of them together cannot be equal to the pleasure gained from satsanagha, from the

> communion with beings of truth."

> Sundar Kand (Verse 4 Swami Satyananda Saraswati)

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> , "gabilu27" <gabilu27@> wrote:

> >

> > I will learn to chant the Chandi direct from Devanagari by making a sankalpa to learn

a

> few

> > letters every day and once i know them, to start doing a couple of slokas a day.

> >

> > I will learn one sloka a week of several Chandi sections until I know them by heart.

> >

> > Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaai Maa,

> > Gauri

> > , Rangan Srinivasan <srini_sadhu@> wrote:

> > >

> > > Dear Family,

> > >

> > > Namaste!

> > >

> > > Thanks for all the fine discussion on goals and God's

> > > will. It really helped clarify our thinking. Thank

> > > you!

> > >

> > > Swamiji said that one of the most important scriptures

> > > to help set goals is Sadhana Panchakam.

> > >

> > > We have a slide show on shreemaa.org which has the

> > > sanskrit and english translation of Sadhana Panchakam

> > > and Swamiji speaking the translation.

> > >

> > > You can find it at:

> > >

> > > http://www.shreemaa.org/drupal-4.7.3/node/635

> > >

> > > Can you please read it and share a goal or two that

> > > speaks to your heart and the sankalpa one can take to

> > > acheive such a goal.

> > >

> > > Very eagerly looking forward to hearing from you!

> > >

> > > Jai MAA!

> > >

> > > srini

> > >

> >

>