IndiaDivine.org

Atma in BG chp 6: self or Self?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

The word "Atma" can be used to indicate the individual soul or the Paramatma. In explaining chapter 6 of the Bhagavad-gita in his purports as well as the Path of Perfection, Srila Prabhupada gives the latter understanding, although the translations in BGAII (misleadingly?) give the small letter "s" for self.

This understanding of Atma as Paramatma is very contextually appropriate for several reasons:

(1) The passage is interspersed with other unequivocal words:

"paramatma" (Supersoul, 6.7)

"mac-citta" and "mat-param" (meditate on Me in the heart, making Me the ultimate goal, 6.14)

"mat-samstham" (My abode, 6.15)

"brahma" (6.27)

"brahma" (Supreme Consciousness, 6.28)

"mammayime" (6.30)

"mam" (6.31)

"mam" (Me, 6.47)

(2) The last three verses of chapter 5 summarizing the yoga system of chapter 6 only mentioned the Lord.

(3) The pleasure of contact with the Lord vs. mere self realization was contrasted in 5.21 with the only former being described as "akshaya sukha" or imperishable happiness. (This is based on the following translation of 5.21: The self who is detached from external contacts, who finds happiness in the self----That self, absorbed in Brahman through yoga, attains imperishable happiness.) Therefore, it is not likely that at this point of the discussion the Lord would divert attention from the highest pleasure and its source in the Lord.

Here are excerpts from Path of Perfection and one from Perfection of Yoga:

(Note the capital "S" and "T" for Self and Transcendence.)

“A transcendentalist should always try to concentrate his mind on the Supreme Self; he should live alone in a secluded place and should always carefully control his mind. He should be free from desires and feelings of possessiveness.†(Bg. 6.10) In this chapter, in which the Lord is teaching the principles of the yoga system, He here points out that a transcendentalist should always try to concentrate his mind on the Supreme Self.. “The Supreme Self’ refers to Krsna, the Supreme Lord.

"When the yogi, by practice of yoga, disciplines his mental activities and becomes situated in Transcendence--devoid of all material desires--he is said to have attained yoga." (Bg. 6.18) One who has attained yoga is not dependent on the dictations of his mind; rather, the mind comes under his control. Nor is the mind put out or extinguished, for it is the business of the yogi to think of Krsna, or Visnu, always. (Perfection of Yoga)

“As a lamp in a windless place does not waver, so the transcendentalist, whose mind is controlled, remains always steady in his meditation on the transcendent Self.†(Bg. 6.19)

If the mind is absorbed in Krsna consciousness, it will remain as steady as the flame of a candle that is in a room where there is no wind. Therefore it is said that a truly Krsna conscious person always absorbed in transcendence, in constant undisturbed meditation on his worshipable Lord, is as steady as a lamp or candle in a windless place. Just as the flame is not agitated, the mind is not agitated, and that steadiness is the perfection of yoga.

The state of one thus steadily situated in meditation on the transcendent Self, or the Supreme Lord, is described by Sri Krsna in the following verses of Bhagavad-gita (6.20–23):

“The stage of perfection is called trance, or samädhi, when one’s mind is completely restrained from material mental activities by practice of yoga. This is characterized by one’s ability to see the Self by the pure mind and to relish and rejoice in the Self. In that joyous state, one is situated in boundless transcendental happiness and enjoys himself through transcendental senses. Established thus, one never departs from the truth, and upon gaining this he thinks there is no greater gain. Being situated in such a position, one is never shaken, even in the midst of greatest difficulty. This indeed is actual freedom from all miseries arising from material contact.â€

Samadhi does not mean making oneself void or merging into the void. That is impossible. Kleso ’dhikataras tesam avyaktasakta-cetasam [bg. 12.5]. Some yogis say that one has to put an end to all activities and make himself motionless, but how is this possible? By nature, the living entity is a moving, acting spirit. “Motionless†means putting an end to material motion and being fixed in Krsna consciousness.

“Gradually, step by step, with full conviction, one should become situated in trance by means of intelligence, and thus the mind should be fixed on the Self alone and should think of nothing else.†(Bg. 6.25)

We are the self, and Krsna is also the Self. When there is sunlight, we can see the sun and ourselves also. However, when there is dense darkness, we sometimes cannot even see our own body. Although the body is there, the darkness is so dense that I cannot see myself. But when the sunshine is present, I can see myself as well as the sun. Similarly, seeing the self means first of all seeing the Supreme Self, Krsna.

“From whatever and wherever the mind wanders due to its flickering and unsteady nature, one must certainly withdraw it and bring it back under the control of the Self.†(Bg. 6.26) This is the real yogic process. If you are trying to concentrate your mind on Krsna, and the mind is diverted—wandering to some cinema or wherever—you should withdraw the mind, thinking, “Not there, please. Here.†This is yoga: not allowing the mind to wander from Krsna.

“Steady in the Self, being freed from all material contamination, the yogi achieves the highest perfectional stage of happiness in touch with the Supreme Consciousness.†(Bg. 6.28)

So here is the perfection: “The yogi whose mind is fixed on Me.â€

“A true yogi observes Me [atmanam-G.S.] in all beings, and also sees every being in Me [atmani-G.S.]. Indeed, the self-realized man sees Me everywhere.†(Bg. 6.29)

O mighty-armed Krsna, does not such a man, being deviated from the path of Transcendence [brahmani-G.S.], perish like a riven cloud, with no position in any sphere?†[6.38]

These meanings can be clearly seen in the purports of Bhagavad-Gita As It Is, chapter 6.

your servant

Gerald Surya

Check out the new AOL. Most comprehensive set of free safety and security tools, free access to millions of high-quality videos from across the web, free AOL Mail and more.