IndiaDivine.org

The Wedding Party

Rate this topic

Guest guest

The Wedding Party

CAST: Man, Wife, Boatman.

Boatman: All aboard! All aboard! 5 rupees.

Man: Right this way, dear. We will take this boat to the other side of the river and soon we will be at our wedding party.

Wife: Oh, it sounds so romantic and adventurous!

Man: How much for the boat ride, mister?

Boatman: 5 rupees.

Man: 5 rupees! That's way too much! What do you think? We are rich or something?

Boatman: Alright, then. For you, I make no profit.

Wife: Don't be such an old miser, dear. Give the poor man what he wants.

Man: Whatever you say, my love. Here you are, Boatman-5 rupees. Now get us across the river before nightfall. We are going to our own wedding party.

Boatman: Well come aboard, then. The sooner we leave, the sooner we will get to our destination. (Boatman starts rowing, and a minute or two later lights go down)

Wife: (after a pause) It sure is taking a long time getting across this river. How much longer will it take? I told you, George-we should have just taken that bridge down the road.

Boatman: We should be there very soon. It's either the wind or the current flowing against us.

Man: (after another pause) For crying out loud! Just how long does it take to get across this river? You've already been rowing for hours.

Boatman: Just take it easy and relax. We are almost there.

Man: I could probably have made better time by swimming across.

Boatman: Sir, we will surely be there by tomorrow. So please relax and leave the rowing to me. (the man and woman fall asleep, then the lights come on)

Man: We are not there yet? Boatman, what have you been doing all night? We should have been on the other side hours ago! Have you been rowing the boat in circles? It looks like we are at the same location we were in when we first started! Well? What do you have to say for yourself? (wife starts to cry, man turns to her) What's wrong with you, why are you crying?

Wife: We had to spend our whole wedding night on this stupid boat, and we're still getting nowhere!

Boatman: I don't understand this. There must be some logical explanation. Wait a minute! What is that rope doing hanging over the side of the boat?

Man & Wife: You forgot to untie the rope from the dock!

Man: How can anyone be so stupid as to try to leave with the boat still tied to the dock? You simply wasted our valuable time!

Wife: Mister, you have no intelligence! Let's go back, George, and start over again.

Boatman: When it comes to doing business, you can't become attached.

(Man and Wife exit, then one returns to give the purport)

The Analogy

What you just saw was an analogy to show what happens to a living entity who takes to the spiritual path while still maintaining material attachments. Since the boat was still tied to the dock, it could not make it to its destination. So similarly, the living entity who is trying to reach the spiritual world of Lord Sri Krishna will not succeed as long as he is holding onto material attachments. Lord Sri Krishna clearly explains in the Bhagavad-gita

vita-raga-bhaya-krodha

man-maya mam upasritah

bahavo jnana-tapasa

puta mad-bhavam agatah

"Being freed from attachment, fear and anger, being fully absorbed in Me and taking refuge in Me, many, many persons in the past became purified by knowledge of Me-and thus they all attained transcendental love for Me." (4.10)

So, if we simply attach ourselves to the chanting of the holy names of Hare Krishna Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna Hare Hare / Hare Rama Hare Rama, Rama Rama Hare Hare, then we will be able to give up our sense gratification and material attachments. Thus we may ultimately attain transcendental love for Krishna. Thank you very much. Hare Krishna!

Yours in the service of Srila Prabhupada

Aishwarya Kumar

www.krishnazine.info

www.prabhupada.in

Always Remember Krishna. Never Forget Krishna.

Find out what India is talking about on - Answers India

Send FREE SMS to your friend's mobile from Messenger Version 8. Get it NOW