IndiaDivine.org

Yantra placement; for Devibhakta & Sangar

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear DB & Sangar,

I am not an authority on this subject nor am I an accomplished upasaka like you all, but my two bits.

In shilpa shaastra, there are two kinds of measurements -- maanaangula and maatraangulaa. Maanaangula is meant for making deities or yantras for worship by individuals at home. The basic unit is middle phallange of the right middle finger. It involves calculations which takes into reckoning the individual's star, raashi etc., and how many years/ generations the individual wants the deity to be worshiped at home. On this basis, the particular yantra's dimensions, star and raashi are determined. At this time the accomplished sthapati who makes the yantra also comes to know which direction the yantra should face -- generally East or North. After this praanapratishthaa is done and the yantra vibrates with life.

It is alright and fashionable to say devi is not bound by directions, but my humble suggestion is for agnaanis like me, it does matter till such time we evolve with the grace of Devi. Otherwise, think of all the presciptions in kalpasutras, sethubandham etc., and all the niyamas we have in Sri Vidya upasana; who are they meant for. Dismissing such requirements may not be helpful for people like me.

Maatraangula is the basic unit for constructing temples, making deities and yantras for public worship. The measurement is taken from the best grain grown in the local area (generally rice or wheat) during long crop season.

Of course I am not anexpert in shilpa shaastra nor am I a sthapati.

Om Namastripurasundari -- JR

Devi Bhakta <devi_bhakta > wrote: I was taught that placing the altar in the northeast corner (i.e.

worshiper facing northeast; deities therefore southwest) is excellent,

at least according to vaastu principles as applied to Srividya

upasana. Then again, the directions might have been personally

tailored; whatever way one's Guru instructs is the right way.

In any event, as you noted, our magnetic compass directions mean

little or nothing to Devi, who looks whatever way She wishes -- and if

She says it's East then it's East. There is not even up or down in the

infinite expanse of Space.

*** And as it is flat, how we should place it on the altar - make it

lying and facing the air - upwards or should we lean it on somthing

and make it face us!! ***

Flat is good.

, sangar narayanan

<mackro1932 wrote:

>

> One clearly understands the fact that any yantra placed in whatever

direction is placed, is supposed to be facing the East as Divine

Mother is always facing the east. The sadhaka faces the Divine - west

- and worships. That is the speciality of any yantra. The Yantra is of

full divine energy and it is not bound by sides as energy has no sides

or dimensions.

> SATHYANANDHA NATHAR

>

>

>

> Parishant <paribus81

>

> Thursday, November 9, 2006 12:26:25 PM

> Yantra placement

>

> Om Shri Matre Namaha

>

> Namaste to All

>

> Today, I have 2 questions that i want to ask and seeking the proper

> answers everywhere!

>

> My first question is:

> A yantra, how it should be placed for worshipping? ? For example,

> should it be on a particular direction? And as it is flat, how we

> should place it on the altar - make it lying and facing the air -

> upwards or should we lean it on somthing and make it face us!!

> Thats the biggest problem I usually get when doing yantra puja! I

> really dnt knw how to place it!!!

>

> My Second question is:

> In my puja room, when i do puja i faced the north - meaning my

> deities are in front and facing the south!! Is it good or they

> shoud be placed differently! !

>

> Hoping to get an answer soon..

>

> Thanking in advance!!

>

> LOVE

> Parishant

>

>

>

>

>

> R

>

>

>

>

Dear Brother,

Thanks.

Here in srividhya worship of the divine sriyantra or maha meru, the principle of worshipping face to face is adopted as you would see from the aavarana puja procedure. Here agama which concerns idol worship is not considered, as sriyantra or maha meru worship is considered supreme from Idol to ideal worship.

I do not want to comment on your opinion as opinion always differ. I appreciate your gesture and there is always room for people to follow what they want and reap the benefits as they come.

Regards,

S.SHANGARANARAYANAN

Radhakrishnan J <jayaarshree >

Monday, November 13, 2006 11:25:59 AM

Re: Re: Yantra placement; for Devibhakta & Sangar

Dear DB & Sangar,

I am not an authority on this subject nor am I an accomplished upasaka like you all, but my two bits.

In shilpa shaastra, there are two kinds of measurements -- maanaangula and maatraangulaa. Maanaangula is meant for making deities or yantras for worship by individuals at home. The basic unit is middle phallange of the right middle finger. It involves calculations which takes into reckoning the individual's star, raashi etc., and how many years/ generations the individual wants the deity to be worshiped at home. On this basis, the particular yantra's dimensions, star and raashi are determined. At this time the accomplished sthapati who makes the yantra also comes to know which direction the yantra should face -- generally East or North. After this praanapratishthaa is done and the yantra vibrates with life.

It is alright and fashionable to say devi is not bound by directions, but my humble suggestion is for agnaanis like me, it does matter till such time we evolve with the grace of Devi. Otherwise, think of all the presciptions in kalpasutras, sethubandham etc., and all the niyamas we have in Sri Vidya upasana; who are they meant for. Dismissing such requirements may not be helpful for people like me.

Maatraangula is the basic unit for constructing temples, making deities and yantras for public worship. The measurement is taken from the best grain grown in the local area (generally rice or wheat) during long crop season.

Of course I am not anexpert in shilpa shaastra nor am I a sthapati.

Om Namastripurasundari -- JR

Devi Bhakta <devi_bhakta@ > wrote: I was taught that placing the altar in the northeast corner (i.e. worshiper facing northeast; deities therefore southwest) is excellent, at least according to vaastu principles as applied to Srividya upasana. Then again, the directions might have been personallytailored; whatever way one's Guru instructs is the right way.

In any event, as you noted, our magnetic compass directions mean

little or nothing to Devi, who looks whatever way She wishes -- and if She says it's East then it's East. There is not even up or down in theinfinite expanse of Space.

*** And as it is flat, how we should place it on the altar - make it

lying and facing the air - upwards or should we lean it on somthing

and make it face us!! ***

Flat is good.