IndiaDivine.org

introductory message

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hello all,

My name is Harry Liantziris and I feel privileged to be part of this electronic forum. I have come to Advaita via the Western philosophical tradition. Philosophy, as I saw it, was much more than just an intellectual exercise. To put it mildly, ideas mattered to me. The thing was that I somehow knew that there was power in thought – that is, power in the very experience of Knowing. This was not your clichéd understanding of the phrase “Knowledge is power”. For once again, I somehow knew that Knowledge, real Knowledge, whatever that was, powered our very lives. In short, our lives were being lived. In fact, Knowledge as power lives us. Therefore, we, as separate entities, as so-called agents empowered to act for ourselves, are not the originating or driving force of our lives. The philosophical endeavour as I viewed it was certainly something more than an exercise in thought. I not only understood Philosophy to mean the love of knowledge but also Knowledge as Love. It

often seemed that I was driven by a deep seated longing, or by my heart’s yearning, to at least try and comprehend the incomprehensible. It was as if whenever my mind reached out to grasp that which it was contemplating, that which it was contemplating somehow always avoided comprehension. It always slipped through the mind’s grasp. As a result, the thing-in-itself was never known – that is, its essence was never present. And yet, paradoxically, IT always remained as an absent presence, something never quite seen but somehow still known to be there somewhere beyond intellectual comprehension.

I look forward to our future exchange of views.

with warmest regards,

Harry

Send instant messages to your online friends http://au.messenger.

Dear Harry, Thank you for your comments in your introductory message.

Knowledge of oneself and the Brahman which are the same is very important but

knowledge per se is no use without experience of expressionless experience which

is wisdom. Knowledge which does not lead to wisdom is useless.

Hope you agree.

With kind regards,

Pakirareddy

advaitin, pakirareddy wrote:

>

> Dear Harry, Thank you for your comments in your introductory

message.

> Knowledge of oneself and the Brahman which are the same is very

important but

> knowledge per se is no use without experience of expressionless

experience which

> is wisdom. Knowledge which does not lead to wisdom is useless.

> Hope you agree.

> With kind regards,

> Pakirareddy

>

>

>