IndiaDivine.org

Is having a son necessary according to hinduism?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Can anyone give me correct information on this topic.

In hinduism people thrive to have a son even though they have many daughters to raise,though they r finacially weak to get them married off...

why is it important to have a son and is it a misconception or is it not?

Can anyone give me correct information on this topic.

In hinduism people thrive to have a son even though they have many daughters to raise,though they r finacially weak to get them married off...

why is it important to have a son and is it a misconception or is it not?

No in hinduism it isn't written anywhere we must thrive to have a son. Yes Indian culture generally wants one because of social obligations, poor families can't afford the sin of dowry and a son will stay with the aged parents in later life hence one is preffered, but not required by Hinduism. It is a misconception to say it is required by Hinduism. Only social factors implicate such things.

For example in Khstriya dharma in the first 3 yugas, you will hear and read and watch of the Mahabharata and so forth where elders grant blessings for their children to have sons, again merely cultural and social, not religious. They want sons in that time so someone would be able to take over their kingdom one day, it was a lack of a son(s) which raised the Mahabharata issue with Shantanu and Satyavati if you have read/watched it.

I don't think so coz otherwise why would some of the Hindu saints be lifelong celibates from birth and never marry, or marry and remain childless by being celibate marriage partners? if having a son was an intrinsic part of their religion. Why would there be whole schools of rsis and celibate monastics?

I think in the old school it was important to have a son because the first son would do offerings for the deceased so they can have a good life in the afterlife. However if any individual does good in their spiritual practices then that helps the forefathers attain liberation also.

Christian kings of England did things like marry eight wives and behead a whole slew of them for not bearing sons. So I don't think India has the monopoly on this practice. Also nowadays amongst educated people the daughters can ask a priest to do the pinda ceremony for the father now.

So no big deal.