IndiaDivine.org

mantra questions...

Rate this topic

Guest guest

hello all,

ok so i had posted a question a few days ago but no one seems to have taken it upon themselves to furnish me with an answer... so i thought i might try again... as i had said, most of the mantras i know i have taught myself... and the majority of them i have never seen in devanagri script... so there are some ambiguities in regard to pronunciation...

ok so the main problem i'e been having is the bija mantra hum... there was this matangi mantra breakdown i downloaded at one point... which had the devanagri transliteration... it showed this bija with a choti u ki matra... and described it as the damana bija (whatever damana means)... suppressing evil... rahu runs away etc... the mantra mentioned was 'om hrim klim hum matangayai phat swaha'

but i'm slightly confused because elsewhere what appears to be the same bija in roman script... hum... is mentioned with an accent over the u, suggesting that it is a badi u ki matra... and it is described as being related to the mother of great heroes or something to that effect and divine wrath, an example of a mantra that is shown as having the elongated 'u' sound is tara's mantra 'om hrim strim hum phat,' so are there actually two bijas? huum and hum? or is it just one that some people translate with an accent while others don't? please please honor me with a response this time; i'd really appreciate it,

goddess bless,

krishna

I am not an expert on Mantras. I am referring from a Sanskrit to English dictionary, first published in 1890 by late Pundit V.S.Apte, Principal of Ferguson college, Pune. I quote " Hum(choti matra)- remembrance, recollection, assent---in spells and incantations it is often used as dative( ex Ohm Kavachaya Hum) ; Humkara is the uttering of Hum ". As per pundit Apte, Hoom is used interchangeably with Hum. In the example you have cited Hoom Phat certainly sounds more powerful than Hum. Both are used as per practises and occasion.

nomoreifalready <krish.pillai > wrote: hello all,

ok so i had posted a question a few days ago but no one seems to have taken it upon themselves to furnish me with an answer... so i thought i might try again... as i had said, most of the mantras i know i have taught myself... and the majority of them i have never seen in devanagri script... so there are some ambiguities in regard to pronunciation...

ok so the main problem i'e been having is the bija mantra hum... there was this matangi mantra breakdown i downloaded at one point... which had the devanagri transliteration... it showed this bija with a choti u ki matra... and described it as the damana bija (whatever damana means)... suppressing evil... rahu runs away etc... the mantra mentioned was 'om hrim klim hum matangayai phat swaha'

but i'm slightly confused because elsewhere what appears to be the same bija in roman script... hum... is mentioned with an accent over the u, suggesting that it is a badi u ki matra... and it is described as being related to the mother of great heroes or something to that effect and divine wrath, an example of a mantra that is shown as having the elongated 'u' sound is tara's mantra 'om hrim strim hum phat,' so are there actually two bijas? huum and hum? or is it just one that some people translate with an accent while others don't? please please honor me with a response this time; i'd really appreciate it,

goddess bless,

krishna

Send free SMS to your Friends on Mobile from your Messenger. Download Now! http://messenger./download.php

thanks a lot you guys, this really helped, really appreciate it...

On 12/16/06, venkat bhasksr <sitam_subba (AT) (DOT) co.in> wrote:

I am not an expert on Mantras. I am referring from a Sanskrit to English

> dictionary, first published in 1890 by late Pundit V.S.Apte, Principal of

> Ferguson college, Pune. I quote " Hum(choti matra)- remembrance,

> recollection, assent---in spells and incantations it is often used as

> dative( ex Ohm Kavachaya Hum) ; Humkara is the uttering of Hum ". As per

> pundit Apte, Hoom is used interchangeably with Hum. In the example you have

> cited Hoom Phat certainly sounds more powerful than Hum. Both are used as

> per practises and occasion.

>

> nomoreifalready <krish.pillai > wrote: hello all,

>

> ok so i had posted a question a few days ago but no one seems to have taken

> it upon themselves to furnish me with an answer... so i thought i might try

> again... as i had said, most of the mantras i know i have taught myself...

> and the majority of them i have never seen in devanagri script... so there

> are some ambiguities in regard to pronunciation...

>

> ok so the main problem i'e been having is the bija mantra hum... there was

> this matangi mantra breakdown i downloaded at one point... which had the

> devanagri transliteration... it showed this bija with a choti u ki matra...

> and described it as the damana bija (whatever damana means)... suppressing

> evil... rahu runs away etc... the mantra mentioned was 'om hrim klim hum

> matangayai phat swaha'

>

> but i'm slightly confused because elsewhere what appears to be the same

> bija in roman script... hum... is mentioned with an accent over the u,

> suggesting that it is a badi u ki matra... and it is described as being

> related to the mother of great heroes or something to that effect and divine

> wrath, an example of a mantra that is shown as having the elongated 'u'

> sound is tara's mantra 'om hrim strim hum phat,' so are there actually two

> bijas? huum and hum? or is it just one that some people translate with an

> accent while others don't? please please honor me with a response this time;

> i'd really appreciate it,

>

> goddess bless,

>

> krishna

>

> Send free SMS to your Friends on Mobile from your Messenger.

> Download Now! http://messenger./download.php

>

>