IndiaDivine.org

teacher

Rate this topic

Guest guest

am i allowed to read other translations other than as it is,if not please why?

What do you mean "am I allowed"? Have you given up ownership of your very self to some Hare Krsna clique and now you can only read what they allow you to read?

Krsna consciousness is about finding yourself brother thirwell which has nothing to do with whimiscally and lazily letting others control what you learn and think.

You can read whatever you want to but you should consider that what translation you read will effect how you come to view Krsna.

The vast majority of translations will say that Krsna is a temporary form that the eternal formless light has taken on to help the souls of this world understand spirit and that what is important is not Krsna the person but it is really the formless light within Krsna that has value.

The authors of these mistranslations are usually academic types and they write from an impersonalists point of view. But the Bhagavad-gita is revealed knowledge from Krsna to his devotee Arjuna. So to get the same message translated purely to us we need to hear it from a devotee of Krsna who follows in the footsteps of Arjuna.

Krsna only reveals Himself to His devotees and knowing Krsna is the whole point to Bhagavad-gita. Therefore we must get knowledge of Krsna through the Bhagavad-gita as it is translated by His devotee.

Myself I feel confident in Srila Prabhupada's translation. My advice would be to first read Bhagavad-gita As It Is thoroughly and prayerfully and then see if you want to read another translation. My guess is you won't want to but instead will read Srila Prabhupada's again.