IndiaDivine.org

Introduction to Vedanta-1

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Introduction to Vedanta-1

I will present my understanding of what is Vedanta and/or why is it important to know Vedanta.

This presentation is supposed to be for a freshman in the Vedantic study with minimum of Sanskrit

words needed to understand the concept. We recognize, however, that we have to use some Sanskrit

words to bring out the full impact of the terms that are defined. Typical example is the word

‘vaasana’ which is more a technical word with no appropriate equivalent word in English. One can

say vaasanas manifest as ‘likes and dislikes’ both at individual level and at collective level.

Thus we have individual vaasanas as well as collective vaasanas that propel to act the way we act,

individually or collectively. Another Sanskrit word is ‘maaya’, which is poorly translated as

‘illusion’. It can be considered as that ‘power’ because of which one appears to be many or one

becomes many. While more of these terms will be introduced as we proceed further, the point is I

would like to make is that there are many technical words in Vedanta that one should familiarize

one self early in the game, if one wants to understand and participate in the Vedantic

discussions. Like many of these things, it is not essential that one should understand all these

terms to know Vedanta, but it will be helpful. It is not really a big deal, since we do use many

technical or mathematical terms without fully appreciating their significance. For example, we

learn the symbolic language of mathematics in the early schooling without questioning their

meaning or validity. We use two parallel lines signifying an equal sign, symbolizing an equality

of what is on the left hand side with that on the right hand side of the equation. Symbolically

the equal sign establishes a relation between two the sides of the equation. Later we learn in

mathematics that a symbol of three parallel lines is used to establish an identity equation that

is to declare what is on left side of the equation to be identically equal to the one on the right

side of the equation. No, I am not writing on mathematics, but want to lead you to simple but

profound statements of the Vedanta that establishes some relations; not relations establishing

equality, but statements confirming identity-relationships. The first one (equal sign) provides a

relation of two entities that appear to be different. The second one (identity equation) provides

a relation (in fact, a relationless relation) of two entities that appear to be different, but, in

truth, are one and the same. Vedanta zeros in on the second aspect.

Before I discuss about the above aspects, I want to identity those who are the beginners to

Vedantic study, since this writing is intended for them. A serious study of any subject would

require a student to have met some prerequisites. Vedantic study is no exception. Shankara

defines these requirements as ‘The four-fold qualifications’ – collectively called as 4-Ds: 1.

Discrimination of what is eternal and what is ephemeral, 2. Dispassion to reject that which is

ephemeral to gain that which is eternal, 3. Discipline of the mind to divert it from trivial or

ephemeral pursuits in life to conserve the energy to pursue that which is eternal, and finally 4.

Desire strong enough to motivate oneself in that pursuit without getting discouraged by any type

of obstacles that arise. They are somewhat interrelated with each one reinforcing the other.

Hence, from Shankara’s point, if one does not have these four-fold qualifications, he has not

prepared his mind, to own the knowledge of Vedanta. The mind that has acquired these four-fold

qualifications is the ‘pure’ mind that is ready to take off when the Vedantic teaching is imparted

by a competent teacher. The discipline of the mind (the third D above) involves six basic

disciplines of the mind for uncompromising commitment for the study – most important among them is

a full faith in the import of Vedanta, as explained by the teacher. Each word and idea in this

paragraph is important and elaborate discussion of these is available in text like

VivEkachUDAmaNi; but we can discuss those here on the need basis.

Hence a beginner for Vedantic study is the one who has acquired the four-fold qualifications for

the study. If one has the pre-requisites, then the study will be fruitful. I will address some of

the misconceptions of the Vedantic study later, but suffice here to say that if one experiences

that the Vedantic study has not been fruitful, it is not the fault of Vedanta but it only

signifies that the prerequisites have not been met adequately. Next question that arises then is,

should one study Vedanta without these pre-requisites. Vedanta itself address that issue saying

that one has to listen to Vedanta from a competent teacher (shravaNam) and reflect on it until all

doubts are fully resolved (mananam) and contemplate on it until the teaching of Vedanta is

assimilated fully and completely (nidhidhyaasanam). Listening to the teacher is sufficient if one

has all the pre-requisites. For those who do not have the prerequisites, the other two are

required until that conviction takes place in the mind; a conviction that what Vedanta says is

indeed true to the letter. To illustrate this point, we can remind ourselves the story of our

friend, Mr. Jones and the rat. Mr. Jones got a feeling that he is rat and not a man. Do not ask

me when that feeling started for Mr. Jones. As for as we are concerned, it is from the beginning.

So Mr. Jones used to hide in a closet whenever he sees a cat, since he is rat and that he needs to

protect himself from that terrible looking cat. Mrs. Jones saw this and somehow recognizing his

problem, took him to a psychologist who tried to convince Mr. Jones that he is indeed a man since

in his full glory he is identically equal to a man and not a rat. After many hours of sitting for

a prolonged length of time with his psychologist, Mr. Jones understood that he is indeed a man and

not a rat that he thought he was. With that clear understanding he returned home to discover to

his horror that there was that terrible cat still sitting there and waiting for him. He rushed

back to the doctor in a hurry and asked the doctor; “Sir, I know I am man and not a rat, but does

that cat know that I am man and not a rat?” –We may laugh at this but our situation is not much

different from Mr. Jones, as we see this later. What Mr. Jones needs to understand is about his

true identity, not just ‘as a thought’ but ‘as a fact’ that he is always a man and never a rat,

even when he thought he was a rat. Shankara says with adequate pre-requisites of the four-fold

qualifications, the Vedantic teaching from a competent teacher would become immediately fruitful.

Otherwise, one has to develop that clarity of understanding through constant reflection and

contemplation on the teaching until it is assimilated, or what Bhagavaan Ramana calls as firm

abidance in that knowledge.

What constitutes clear understanding of Vedanta? We will discuss this more extensively little bit

latter, but here it is suffice to know that it involves two essential aspects: One is a clear

understanding of the INDENTITY relations or relationless relationships called mahavaakyas or great

aphorisms, and the second is to realize that nothing else is required other than the clear

understanding of the identity relations. The significance of these two aspects will become

apparent when we discuss the identity relations, and their implications. From Mr. Jones and the

rat story, we have clear understanding of what clear understanding means.

If we do not have clear understanding of Vedanta, it only means either we do not have proper

exposure to Vedantic study (with the emphasis on proper), or our minds are not adequately prepared

and therefore saadhana is required to purify the mind for the teaching to sink in. Hence from the

point of Vedantic study, most of us are beginner-students requiring listening, reflecting and

contemplating on the teaching. The purpose of the advaitin list serve is exactly to accomplish

that – hence it is intended for all the beginners only who are trying to get a clear understanding

of the Vedantic teaching. For the silent majority – there is no silent teaching or learning in any

field of study, including Vedanta. Only way to clarify one’s understanding is through discussions

and by raising questions.

Of course, the intent of this writing as per our Chief Moderator, is to address to those who have

not been extensively exposed to Vedantic study. If one has the four fold qualifications, then

Vedanta declares that such a student will be lead to an appropriate teacher needed for his

evolution. Now we can ask ourselves if we have those four-fold qualifications or not, and who is

going to evaluate if we have them to qualify us to study Vedanta? In olden days, the teacher

normally used to observe the students individually for a prolonged length of time and determine

who is qualified and who is not. In modern days we do not have such system of teaching. A

student has to develop these qualifications through association with the company of good and by

following karma, bhakti and jnaana yogas. These aspects are extensively discussed in Bhagavad

Gita as preparatory for Brahma vidya or Vedantic study. Not all minds are ready for such kind of

study. Krishna gives out statistics in Gita – of thousands of people, very few are interested in

this study and of those who are interested only few have the commitment to study and of those very

few have the commitment to pursue till they realizes that identity emphasized in Vedanta.

However, once one is exposed to Vedantic teaching, there is no fall back in the sense that the

teaching will start to germinate slowly but studiedly once the mind is purified through normal

life’s trifles. Krishna says, even if one dies in the Vedantic pursuit, he will be born in the

next life in a conducive environment for his rapid growth. It also means that our preparations

will never go waste and we do not have to redo all over in the next life. It is a continuous

evolution. Examination of the life stories of some great souls indicates that they took off

rapidly without any preparatory discipline required. All that means they have already done all

those preparations in the past life or lives. Hence nothing will be wasted as per the law of

action and result. It also means nothing is given free; one has to work for it. This is true for

any field of study, and so is true for Vedantic study too.

Shankara says, to be born as human being is very rare indeed when there are billions of life forms

available for birth. Having been born as human being, the desire for liberation is very rear

indeed, as emphasized by Krishna’s teaching. Finally, getting exposed to teaching of Vedanta

through the association of great masters is even very rare indeed. In that sense, we are blessed

indeed to have that opportunity to learn and those who can avail this opportunities are blessed

indeed.

With this sense of optimism, let us begin our study of Vedanta.

---------

A note to the other beginners:

I am formulating as it comes and how it is going to shape up with each post will depend on the

feed back from you. I have no claims of the authorship since it is an eternal teaching that is

flowing from the beginning-less time. You can raise the issues by way of asking, but if you can

give me some freedom, all the questions will be addressed in appropriate sequence. Of course if

you do not have any questions, I assume you have already graduated from the beginner’s state.

Many thanks to Sri Sadananda for his excellent beginning of this

topic! I hope that all beginners will take advantage of this

unparalleled opportunity to ask what they might consider the most

basic questions so that they may become more firmly established on

this, the only worthwhile pursuit in this apparent life and world.

May I also request the senior members of the group to help out

Sadananda-ji in answering questions so that he may not be overburdened

in this very significant task. Can everyone also please ensure that

discussion on this topic remains at a level accessible to everyone.

Best wishes,

Dennis

Dennis, are the posts that deal with people learning the basics, labeled

in that way. I confess I delete most as I already know I wont

understand. . I opened this one because it was labeled introduction.

Judy

Judy - PraNams

Thanks for your input. I do not know where people stand in terms of vedantic study. I have

introduced the subject as a start. I would need a feed back from those who want to know the

topics that they would like to understand. This way I know I am fulfilling the need. Without any

feed back I will proceed in the direction that I perceive the need, of course logically as best as

I can.

Hari Om!

Sadananda

--- anna <anna (AT) atlantic (DOT) net> wrote:

> Dennis, are the posts that deal with people learning the basics, labeled

> in that way. I confess I delete most as I already know I wont

> understand. . I opened this one because it was labeled introduction.

>

> Judy

>

>

Respected Sada-ji:

i am indeed delighted to note that you have decided to devote a

valuable portion of your day to cobduct some on line studies in

vedanta when you are enjoying a well earned retirement in Chennai ,

India, our motherland . Service to humanity is also part of Karma

yoga . i don't think in this world ( more so in world) you can

please one and all ! FOR THE 'ONE' IS NOT ALL ! ANY pUN INTENDED IS

UNINTENTIONAL !

i used to be a member of many groups . in fact , i

have 'd' from many groups . in my own group SADHANA

SHAKTI, I AM NO LONGER THAT 'ACTIVE' - i am just a silent by

stander - i am only keeping that group alive for the sake of my

gurudeva in his fond and loving memory .

The Advaitin group is one of the best ( rsther the best) on

not only based on the strength of its membership ( over 1500 members

from six continents) but has some of the most Scholarly , erudite

members from all over the globe , not just the Indian sub

continent.

I think sri Dennis-ji had the right idea when he requested you to

give lessons in Vedanta for beginners . Those who have had the

benefit of listening to your gita discourses in your chinmaya

mission days in washington dc know that you are a great 'teacher' to

those who are in learning mode! Believe me , i am still on a

learning curve , every step that i take in my Advaita sadhnaa (

sravanam and mananam( is a step in the right direction.

So, please continue and let the Great ADVENTURE begin ...

Athatho brahma jijnasaa—Now, therefore, the enquiry of Brahman.

With warmest regarrds

\

advaitin, anna <anna wrote:

>

> Dennis, are the posts that deal with people learning the basics,

labeled

> in that way. I confess I delete most as I already know I wont

> understand. . I opened this one because it was labeled introduction.

>

> Judy

>

Hi Judy,

The posts relating to the Weekly Definitions should all have 'Weekly

Definition' in the subject heading. The Monthly topic for beginners

will always be announced before it begins and then the title (e.g.

'Introduction to Vedanta') will always be in the subject heading.

As regards all othe posts, I don't think it would be a good idea to

identify whether they are 'beginner friendly' or not because this

would rely upon the originator prejudging the issue. Some discussions

certainly do involve lots of Sanskrit and are not likely to appeal to

many beginners but many others are certainly accessible with a bit of

effort and I don't think we would want to discourage anyone!

I suggest that, if the topic of a message is of interest to you, then

you make some effort to understand it. If the topic is not particuarly

interesting then just ignore it. (But never say that you 'know' in

advance that you won't understand it!)

Hope this sounds reasonable to you.

Best wishes,

Dennis

dear friends

with due respects to all teachers and gurus and other learned friends it is my honest desire that instead of quoting and referring to scripts or posting a portion from them why not one share his personal experience on contemplation, meditation and what he has discovered in this respect or his quest for that knowledge for freedom since many of us have gone through enough classes and lestures under a guru or institution.

with regards

baskaran.

BASKARAN.C.S

Here’s a new way to find what you're looking for - Answers