IndiaDivine.org

sharing an idea

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Here’s an idea for increasing participation in Shree Maa’s 2007 peace

mantra sankalpa:

Shubal and I requested the permission and blessing from Shree Maa and Swami

to invite the people who sing kirtan with us to participate in the sankalpa.

We held a gathering last night to review and begin the practice. People came

with loving intentions towards manifesting peace. For us, beginning in this

way was powerful, inspiring, energizing and fun. We’re writing to share the

live presentation and also the written orientation we created for those too

far to join us (enclosed), which include parts of on-line group posts by Swami,

Nanda, Chris, Vishveshwar, Tanmaya, Brian and Surya.

Inviting participation: We sent an email explaining the sankalpa and

inviting people to a satsang a week later. We received 30 responses from the

Northeast, and 1 from Toronto. Of these, 10 came for satsang, and another 20 couldn’

t make it but expressed interest in an email orientation.

Getting ready: Shubal and I met, coordinated about the goals and activities

for the evening and divided responsibilities. We quietly played the CD of

Shree Maa and satsang chanting the mrithunjaya mantra the whole day. We

laminated the wallet cards offered by Chris to the on-line group, and printed the

self-standing cards on cardstock. We made name tags and a dakshina offering

basket for the Devi Mandir. We prepared chai, prasad and arati ghee lamps.. We

decorated the puja room with flowers, burned incense and filled the space with

candles.

Putting the practice into context: We began by introducing Shree Maa &

Swami and what they do, and acknowledged their presence and blessings. We gave an

overview of the Chandi Path, discussed chapter 11 and passages just before

the mantra and the mantra. We summarized Vish’s recent on-line comments about

Swami's teaching that reciting the Chandi Path is a way to overcome ego and

realize the goal of life according to the Bhagavad Gita, to become a Divine

instrument. We shared Swami’s translation of the mantra, and Tanmaya's recent

on-line comments about its meaning -- a request for the wholeness of the

all-pervading Mother to heal the fear that torments our worlds with the peace

of unity.

We talked about the Devi Mandir’s 3-year yagya for universal peace and how

the peace mantra sankalpa is aligned with the last year of that sankalpa. We

shared a photo of Shree Maa and Swami performing a yagya.

Discussing & demonstrating: We discussed that making a sankalpa means

concretizing an intention by making a commitment to oneself to do everything

possible to achieve a goal of deep personal conviction; that a sankalpa is a gift,

like the 2006 Mother Earth sankalpa was a gift to Mother Earth. Most had

never done a mantra practice, and some were uneasy committing to 100,000

repetitions. We didn’t want people to feel pressured, so we offered some ideas for

making a less overwhelming start and encouraged people to do whatever feels

comfortable. We also offered a bunch of choices for the sanklapa part of the

evening – including making a sankalpa of 100,000 recitations, committing to

a different number, making any sankalpa, or simply participating as an

observer.

We gave an information sheet that followed the outline of the meeting and

included the mantra, the link to Shree Maa chanting the mantra on-line, the

sankalpa prayer, the reporting of weekly grand total etc. We listened to the

mantra on the CD of Shree Maa chanting the Chandi Path several times together.

We practiced the mantra slowly together several times looking at the parsed

transliteration on the info sheet.

We shared Swami's on-line comments from a while back on the 3 sound levels

of chanting and benefits of each. We mentioned intention and devotion as key,

and that the speed for optimal focus and devotion varies for different

people. We mentioned that japa can be done anywhere, like while driving. We

presented a translation of the Mundaka Upanishad that Nanda offered on-line last

year -- about mantra as the bow, the devotional aspirant the arrow,

meditation as the bowstring, and unity the target. We talked about how ultimately the

mantra does us; we become the instrument.

We demonstrated the recommendations we’d gotten from Swami for this mantra

-- doing japa with the right hand facing sideways and chanting 'om namah

shivaya' on the inbreath and loudly pronouncing the mantra during the outflowing

breath. We shared Brian's on-line comments from last year about mantra: the

moment of pause after exhaling as a moment of touching unity and inviting the

energy into individual consciousness on the inhale; the exhale with mantra

directing Her healing energy to areas of our bodies and minds and environment.

We led the group in chanting the mantra musically about 10 times, starting

slowly, gaining momentum, and demonstrating a rhythm. We gave out the wallet

and self standing cards and shared the idea of tracking weekly totals by

recording daily totals in a pocket calendar, as well as Surya’s idea to the

on-line group -- using a hand tally counter. We reviewed how to make a weekly

report of the grand total to Nanda.

Making the Sankalpa: We entered the puja room with malas and mantra cards..

For those with no mala, we demonstrated the finger-counting method. Again we

welcomed people to make whatever sankalpa they wished. We recited the

sankalpa prayer looking at the info sheet, held a flower and sprinkled it with

water, quietly stated our individual goals, offered the flowers onto plate, and

offered the plate to God at the altar.

Unifying: We chanted a full mala together, starting loud and slow, going to

quieter and faster, with more focus. We sang a rousing Jai Maa aarati ringing

the bell, chasing away ego with a fly whisk, and waving a lamp. We sang a

Chandi Maa kirtan ‘til the little room felt like it would blast right through

the roof. It was a truly unifying experience, and people said they felt Divine

Mother's presence.

We offered ash from the Devi Mandir 3-year yagya, for people to apply to

their third eyes. We sat together for a while, sharing conversation, chai and

sweet prasad. Local Devi Mandir family member Sadananda joined us, and the

three of us took turns relating little stories involving Shree Maa, Swami, the

Devi Mandir and sadhus, the sadhana, the books, the classes, the on-line

discussion group, and the daily webcam offerings.

After several hours the bhav was high, and everyone seemed to be brimming

with joy. Some want to gather again for support and inspiration, to chant the

mantra together and share in satsang.

Following up: We emailed to thank those who joined us, to offer the

written orientation to those who couldn’t make it, and to mention the possibility

of future gatherings.

Jai Maa........Jai Swami.......Jai Peace

I think this is great! Koti Pranams to you for inspiring others to practice by doing this!

The hand counting method is cluth to know. I utilize several variations on occasion.

Today I was in a rush to get the kids to school on time and left without my hand counter. At first I almost turned the car around, which would have made us really late. Then I realized that was silly. I counted on the hands, which is not so easy while driving because both hands need to be used in this situation. But I managed. I also used a mala later on as well. It all worked out fine.

Today I pushed myself to finish my 27,000 official repetition, completing 250 malas total, in honor of the beginning of Magh Navratri. I have committed to 100,000 but will actually do 100 malas or 108,000 minimum, and most likely at least 110,000 and then some. After the sankalpa, I won't publish anymore totals as this was a break from my norm to begin with. I hope to finish my initial commitment within 2-3 months.

My choice to approach this practice vigorously has been interesting. Personally I think the slow and steady approach is probably the way to go, with extra reps if one has time while driving, etc. As I've told Nanda, I miss not doing as much of my Guru Mantra. I chose this approach because I know come summer, when I travel with Amma and have heavy seva and chanting commitments (happily and luckily so), I might not be able to squeeze this in. Also to be honest, I was intimidated at first by the amount and didn't realize how I could get this mantra to flow. Some people's initial comments scared me a bit. All of this was just not the case...thank Goddess.

I have chanted while driving, while doing exercise, while eating, preparing food, in the shower, brushing my teeth, playing with my kids, watching TV and movies, at any and all spare moments at work, while on the computer, while lying in bed, while dreaming (didn't count those), while shopping, while sitting in front of my altar, and more. I chose to do this practice primarily on a hand counter and from a devotional bhav, as opposed to synchronized with pranayam. I am careful to do the mantra correctly each time, or I don't count the repetition or start it over. I vascilate between the 3 methods of chanting.

Again, I am so thankful for Shree Maa to lovingly give us this practice and to provide us with this privilege as well as lead us by the example of Her life. When I was last at the Mandir, I stole a few minutes with Her outside before I left. I thanked Her for the Mandir and Her example. She said to me (my quote may be slightly off) that the Mandir was not a "joking" place. She wanted it to be a place of serious sadhana. This really stuck with me and when this practice was presented and I started, somehow it influenced my approach. It is always amazing how the smallest few words from Her have such a strong force and influence behind them. She speaks right to your Heart. This has always been my experience.

I've learned so much from this practice already. I am sure it is my own great inner hostility that is driving me to chant so much. What a great and sorely needed gift--for me and for the World.

Loving Pranams to all of you Maha Sadhaks and Mahatmas!

Jai Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Pagel Surya

-

shubalanddurga (AT) aol (DOT) com

Friday, January 19, 2007 8:55 PM

[www.ShreeMaa.org] sharing an idea

Here’s an idea for increasing participation in Shree Maa’s 2007 peace mantra sankalpa:

Shubal and I requested the permission and blessing from Shree Maa and Swami to invite the people who sing kirtan with us to participate in the sankalpa. We held a gathering last night to review and begin the practice. People came with loving intentions towards manifesting peace. For us, beginning in this way was powerful, inspiring, energizing and fun. We’re writing to share the live presentation and also the written orientation we created for those too far to join us (enclosed), which include parts of on-line group posts by Swami, Nanda, Chris, Vishveshwar, Tanmaya, Brian and Surya..

Inviting participation: We sent an email explaining the sankalpa and inviting people to a satsang a week later. We received 30 responses from the Northeast, and 1 from Toronto. Of these, 10 came for satsang, and another 20 couldn’t make it but expressed interest in an email orientation.

Getting ready: Shubal and I met, coordinated about the goals and activities for the evening and divided responsibilities. We quietly played the CD of Shree Maa and satsang chanting the mrithunjaya mantra the whole day. We laminated the wallet cards offered by Chris to the on-line group, and printed the self-standing cards on cardstock. We made name tags and a dakshina offering basket for the Devi Mandir. We prepared chai, prasad and arati ghee lamps. We decorated the puja room with flowers, burned incense and filled the space with candles.

Putting the practice into context: We began by introducing Shree Maa & Swami and what they do, and acknowledged their presence and blessings. We gave an overview of the Chandi Path, discussed chapter 11 and passages just before the mantra and the mantra. We summarized Vish’s recent on-line comments about Swami's teaching that reciting the Chandi Path is a way to overcome ego and realize the goal of life according to the Bhagavad Gita, to become a Divine instrument. We shared Swami’s translation of the mantra, and Tanmaya's recent on-line comments about its meaning -- a request for the wholeness of the all-pervading Mother to heal the fear that torments our worlds with the peace of unity.

We talked about the Devi Mandir’s 3-year yagya for universal peace and how the peace mantra sankalpa is aligned with the last year of that sankalpa. We shared a photo of Shree Maa and Swami performing a yagya.

Discussing & demonstrating: We discussed that making a sankalpa means concretizing an intention by making a commitment to oneself to do everything possible to achieve a goal of deep personal conviction; that a sankalpa is a gift, like the 2006 Mother Earth sankalpa was a gift to Mother Earth. Most had never done a mantra practice, and some were uneasy committing to 100,000 repetitions. We didn’t want people to feel pressured, so we offered some ideas for making a less overwhelming start and encouraged people to do whatever feels comfortable. We also offered a bunch of choices for the sanklapa part of the evening – including making a sankalpa of 100,000 recitations, committing to a different number, making any sankalpa, or simply participating as an observer.

We gave an information sheet that followed the outline of the meeting and included the mantra, the link to Shree Maa chanting the mantra on-line, the sankalpa prayer, the reporting of weekly grand total etc. We listened to the mantra on the CD of Shree Maa chanting the Chandi Path several times together. We practiced the mantra slowly together several times looking at the parsed transliteration on the info sheet.

We shared Swami's on-line comments from a while back on the 3 sound levels of chanting and benefits of each. We mentioned intention and devotion as key, and that the speed for optimal focus and devotion varies for different people. We mentioned that japa can be done anywhere, like while driving.. We presented a translation of the Mundaka Upanishad that Nanda offered on-line last year -- about mantra as the bow, the devotional aspirant the arrow, meditation as the bowstring, and unity the target. We talked about how ultimately the mantra does us; we become the instrument.

We demonstrated the recommendations we’d gotten from Swami for this mantra -- doing japa with the right hand facing sideways and chanting 'om namah shivaya' on the inbreath and loudly pronouncing the mantra during the outflowing breath. We shared Brian's on-line comments from last year about mantra: the moment of pause after exhaling as a moment of touching unity and inviting the energy into individual consciousness on the inhale; the exhale with mantra directing Her healing energy to areas of our bodies and minds and environment.

We led the group in chanting the mantra musically about 10 times, starting slowly, gaining momentum, and demonstrating a rhythm. We gave out the wallet and self standing cards and shared the idea of tracking weekly totals by recording daily totals in a pocket calendar, as well as Surya’s idea to the on-line group -- using a hand tally counter. We reviewed how to make a weekly report of the grand total to Nanda.

Making the Sankalpa: We entered the puja room with malas and mantra cards.. For those with no mala, we demonstrated the finger-counting method. Again we welcomed people to make whatever sankalpa they wished. We recited the sankalpa prayer looking at the info sheet, held a flower and sprinkled it with water, quietly stated our individual goals, offered the flowers onto plate, and offered the plate to God at the altar.

Unifying: We chanted a full mala together, starting loud and slow, going to quieter and faster, with more focus. We sang a rousing Jai Maa aarati ringing the bell, chasing away ego with a fly whisk, and waving a lamp. We sang a Chandi Maa kirtan ‘til the little room felt like it would blast right through the roof. It was a truly unifying experience, and people said they felt Divine Mother's presence.

We offered ash from the Devi Mandir 3-year yagya, for people to apply to their third eyes. We sat together for a while, sharing conversation, chai and sweet prasad. Local Devi Mandir family member Sadananda joined us, and the three of us took turns relating little stories involving Shree Maa, Swami, the Devi Mandir and sadhus, the sadhana, the books, the classes, the on-line discussion group, and the daily webcam offerings.

After several hours the bhav was high, and everyone seemed to be brimming with joy. Some want to gather again for support and inspiration, to chant the mantra together and share in satsang.

Following up: We emailed to thank those who joined us, to offer the written orientation to those who couldn’t make it, and to mention the possibility of future gatherings.

Forgive all the typos in this post.

Hand counting is "clutch", not cluth.

While both hands should be used while driving, I meant while doing this sort of japa counting.

27000th

1000 malas, not 100.

Jai Maa!

Surya

-

Mahamuni Das

Friday, January 19, 2007 11:40 PM

Re: [www.ShreeMaa.org] sharing an idea

I think this is great! Koti Pranams to you for inspiring others to practice by doing this!

The hand counting method is cluth to know. I utilize several variations on occasion.

Today I was in a rush to get the kids to school on time and left without my hand counter. At first I almost turned the car around, which would have made us really late. Then I realized that was silly. I counted on the hands, which is not so easy while driving because both hands need to be used in this situation. But I managed. I also used a mala later on as well. It all worked out fine.

Today I pushed myself to finish my 27,000 official repetition, completing 250 malas total, in honor of the beginning of Magh Navratri. I have committed to 100,000 but will actually do 100 malas or 108,000 minimum, and most likely at least 110,000 and then some. After the sankalpa, I won't publish anymore totals as this was a break from my norm to begin with. I hope to finish my initial commitment within 2-3 months.

My choice to approach this practice vigorously has been interesting. Personally I think the slow and steady approach is probably the way to go, with extra reps if one has time while driving, etc. As I've told Nanda, I miss not doing as much of my Guru Mantra. I chose this approach because I know come summer, when I travel with Amma and have heavy seva and chanting commitments (happily and luckily so), I might not be able to squeeze this in. Also to be honest, I was intimidated at first by the amount and didn't realize how I could get this mantra to flow. Some people's initial comments scared me a bit. All of this was just not the case...thank Goddess.

I have chanted while driving, while doing exercise, while eating, preparing food, in the shower, brushing my teeth, playing with my kids, watching TV and movies, at any and all spare moments at work, while on the computer, while lying in bed, while dreaming (didn't count those), while shopping, while sitting in front of my altar, and more. I chose to do this practice primarily on a hand counter and from a devotional bhav, as opposed to synchronized with pranayam. I am careful to do the mantra correctly each time, or I don't count the repetition or start it over. I vascilate between the 3 methods of chanting.

Again, I am so thankful for Shree Maa to lovingly give us this practice and to provide us with this privilege as well as lead us by the example of Her life. When I was last at the Mandir, I stole a few minutes with Her outside before I left. I thanked Her for the Mandir and Her example. She said to me (my quote may be slightly off) that the Mandir was not a "joking" place. She wanted it to be a place of serious sadhana. This really stuck with me and when this practice was presented and I started, somehow it influenced my approach. It is always amazing how the smallest few words from Her have such a strong force and influence behind them. She speaks right to your Heart. This has always been my experience.

I've learned so much from this practice already. I am sure it is my own great inner hostility that is driving me to chant so much. What a great and sorely needed gift--for me and for the World.

Loving Pranams to all of you Maha Sadhaks and Mahatmas!

Jai Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Pagel Surya

-

shubalanddurga (AT) aol (DOT) com

Friday, January 19, 2007 8:55 PM

[www.ShreeMaa.org] sharing an idea

Here’s an idea for increasing participation in Shree Maa’s 2007 peace mantra sankalpa:

Shubal and I requested the permission and blessing from Shree Maa and Swami to invite the people who sing kirtan with us to participate in the sankalpa. We held a gathering last night to review and begin the practice. People came with loving intentions towards manifesting peace. For us, beginning in this way was powerful, inspiring, energizing and fun. We’re writing to share the live presentation and also the written orientation we created for those too far to join us (enclosed), which include parts of on-line group posts by Swami, Nanda, Chris, Vishveshwar, Tanmaya, Brian and Surya.

Inviting participation: We sent an email explaining the sankalpa and inviting people to a satsang a week later. We received 30 responses from the Northeast, and 1 from Toronto. Of these, 10 came for satsang, and another 20 couldn’t make it but expressed interest in an email orientation.

Getting ready: Shubal and I met, coordinated about the goals and activities for the evening and divided responsibilities. We quietly played the CD of Shree Maa and satsang chanting the mrithunjaya mantra the whole day. We laminated the wallet cards offered by Chris to the on-line group, and printed the self-standing cards on cardstock. We made name tags and a dakshina offering basket for the Devi Mandir. We prepared chai, prasad and arati ghee lamps. We decorated the puja room with flowers, burned incense and filled the space with candles.

Putting the practice into context: We began by introducing Shree Maa & Swami and what they do, and acknowledged their presence and blessings. We gave an overview of the Chandi Path, discussed chapter 11 and passages just before the mantra and the mantra. We summarized Vish’s recent on-line comments about Swami's teaching that reciting the Chandi Path is a way to overcome ego and realize the goal of life according to the Bhagavad Gita, to become a Divine instrument. We shared Swami’s translation of the mantra, and Tanmaya's recent on-line comments about its meaning -- a request for the wholeness of the all-pervading Mother to heal the fear that torments our worlds with the peace of unity.

We talked about the Devi Mandir’s 3-year yagya for universal peace and how the peace mantra sankalpa is aligned with the last year of that sankalpa. We shared a photo of Shree Maa and Swami performing a yagya.

Discussing & demonstrating: We discussed that making a sankalpa means concretizing an intention by making a commitment to oneself to do everything possible to achieve a goal of deep personal conviction; that a sankalpa is a gift, like the 2006 Mother Earth sankalpa was a gift to Mother Earth. Most had never done a mantra practice, and some were uneasy committing to 100,000 repetitions. We didn’t want people to feel pressured, so we offered some ideas for making a less overwhelming start and encouraged people to do whatever feels comfortable. We also offered a bunch of choices for the sanklapa part of the evening – including making a sankalpa of 100,000 recitations, committing to a different number, making any sankalpa, or simply participating as an observer.

We gave an information sheet that followed the outline of the meeting and included the mantra, the link to Shree Maa chanting the mantra on-line, the sankalpa prayer, the reporting of weekly grand total etc. We listened to the mantra on the CD of Shree Maa chanting the Chandi Path several times together. We practiced the mantra slowly together several times looking at the parsed transliteration on the info sheet.

We shared Swami's on-line comments from a while back on the 3 sound levels of chanting and benefits of each. We mentioned intention and devotion as key, and that the speed for optimal focus and devotion varies for different people. We mentioned that japa can be done anywhere, like while driving. We presented a translation of the Mundaka Upanishad that Nanda offered on-line last year -- about mantra as the bow, the devotional aspirant the arrow, meditation as the bowstring, and unity the target. We talked about how ultimately the mantra does us; we become the instrument.

We demonstrated the recommendations we’d gotten from Swami for this mantra -- doing japa with the right hand facing sideways and chanting 'om namah shivaya' on the inbreath and loudly pronouncing the mantra during the outflowing breath. We shared Brian's on-line comments from last year about mantra: the moment of pause after exhaling as a moment of touching unity and inviting the energy into individual consciousness on the inhale; the exhale with mantra directing Her healing energy to areas of our bodies and minds and environment.

We led the group in chanting the mantra musically about 10 times, starting slowly, gaining momentum, and demonstrating a rhythm. We gave out the wallet and self standing cards and shared the idea of tracking weekly totals by recording daily totals in a pocket calendar, as well as Surya’s idea to the on-line group -- using a hand tally counter. We reviewed how to make a weekly report of the grand total to Nanda.

Making the Sankalpa: We entered the puja room with malas and mantra cards. For those with no mala, we demonstrated the finger-counting method. Again we welcomed people to make whatever sankalpa they wished. We recited the sankalpa prayer looking at the info sheet, held a flower and sprinkled it with water, quietly stated our individual goals, offered the flowers onto plate, and offered the plate to God at the altar.

Unifying: We chanted a full mala together, starting loud and slow, going to quieter and faster, with more focus. We sang a rousing Jai Maa aarati ringing the bell, chasing away ego with a fly whisk, and waving a lamp. We sang a Chandi Maa kirtan ‘til the little room felt like it would blast right through the roof. It was a truly unifying experience, and people said they felt Divine Mother's presence.

We offered ash from the Devi Mandir 3-year yagya, for people to apply to their third eyes. We sat together for a while, sharing conversation, chai and sweet prasad. Local Devi Mandir family member Sadananda joined us, and the three of us took turns relating little stories involving Shree Maa, Swami, the Devi Mandir and sadhus, the sadhana, the books, the classes, the on-line discussion group, and the daily webcam offerings.

After several hours the bhav was high, and everyone seemed to be brimming with joy. Some want to gather again for support and inspiration, to chant the mantra together and share in satsang.

Following up: We emailed to thank those who joined us, to offer the written orientation to those who couldn’t make it, and to mention the possibility of future gatherings.

Reading this post carried with it the sense and feeling of a deep

sea-change, a threshold crossed, a milestone passed.

The Mother's Power is Present and deeply rooted; what is needed is a

kind of self-starting, spiritual leadership-fearless, and with immense

dedication to God and Guru, caring nothing for self. Then work can

begin.

For sure, Mother and Swami want centers of the Devi Mandir Spirit in

every state and every city; all that is lacking are the workers, the

devotees.

My sense is that 2007 will be a year of miracles

with love,

Tanmaya

, shubalanddurga wrote:

>

> Here’s an idea for increasing participation in Shree

Maa’s 2007 peace

> mantra sankalpa:

> Shubal and I requested the permission and blessing from Shree Maa and

Swami

> to invite the people who sing kirtan with us to participate in the

sankalpa.

> We held a gathering last night to review and begin the practice.

People came

> with loving intentions towards manifesting peace. For us, beginning

in this

> way was powerful, inspiring, energizing and fun. We’re

writing to share the

> live presentation and also the written orientation we created for

those too

> far to join us (enclosed), which include parts of on-line group posts

by Swami,

> Nanda, Chris, Vishveshwar, Tanmaya, Brian and Surya.

> Inviting participation: We sent an email explaining the sankalpa and

> inviting people to a satsang a week later. We received 30 responses

from the

> Northeast, and 1 from Toronto. Of these, 10 came for satsang, and

another 20 couldn’

> t make it but expressed interest in an email orientation.

> Getting ready: Shubal and I met, coordinated about the goals and

activities

> for the evening and divided responsibilities. We quietly played the

CD of

> Shree Maa and satsang chanting the mrithunjaya mantra the whole day.

We

> laminated the wallet cards offered by Chris to the on-line group, and

printed the

> self-standing cards on cardstock. We made name tags and a dakshina

offering

> basket for the Devi Mandir. We prepared chai, prasad and arati ghee

lamps. We

> decorated the puja room with flowers, burned incense and filled the

space with

> candles.

> Putting the practice into context: We began by introducing Shree Maa

&

> Swami and what they do, and acknowledged their presence and

blessings. We gave an

> overview of the Chandi Path, discussed chapter 11 and passages just

before

> the mantra and the mantra. We summarized Vish’s recent on-line

comments about

> Swami's teaching that reciting the Chandi Path is a way to overcome

ego and

> realize the goal of life according to the Bhagavad Gita, to become a

Divine

> instrument. We shared Swami’s translation of the mantra, and

Tanmaya's recent

> on-line comments about its meaning -- a request for the wholeness of

the

> all-pervading Mother to heal the fear that torments our worlds with

the peace

> of unity.

> We talked about the Devi Mandir’s 3-year yagya for universal

peace and how

> the peace mantra sankalpa is aligned with the last year of that

sankalpa. We

> shared a photo of Shree Maa and Swami performing a yagya.

> Discussing & demonstrating: We discussed that making a sankalpa

means

> concretizing an intention by making a commitment to oneself to do

everything

> possible to achieve a goal of deep personal conviction; that a

sankalpa is a gift,

> like the 2006 Mother Earth sankalpa was a gift to Mother Earth. Most

had

> never done a mantra practice, and some were uneasy committing to

> repetitions. We didn’t want people to feel pressured, so we

offered some ideas for

> making a less overwhelming start and encouraged people to do whatever

feels

> comfortable. We also offered a bunch of choices for the sanklapa

part of the

> evening â€" including making a sankalpa of 100,000 recitations,

committing to

> a different number, making any sankalpa, or simply participating as

an

> observer.

> We gave an information sheet that followed the outline of the meeting

and

> included the mantra, the link to Shree Maa chanting the mantra

on-line, the

> sankalpa prayer, the reporting of weekly grand total etc. We listened

to the

> mantra on the CD of Shree Maa chanting the Chandi Path several times

together.

> We practiced the mantra slowly together several times looking at the

parsed

> transliteration on the info sheet.

> We shared Swami's on-line comments from a while back on the 3 sound

levels

> of chanting and benefits of each. We mentioned intention and devotion

as key,

> and that the speed for optimal focus and devotion varies for

different

> people. We mentioned that japa can be done anywhere, like while

driving. We

> presented a translation of the Mundaka Upanishad that Nanda offered

on-line last

> year -- about mantra as the bow, the devotional aspirant the arrow,

> meditation as the bowstring, and unity the target. We talked about

how ultimately the

> mantra does us; we become the instrument.

> We demonstrated the recommendations we’d gotten from Swami for

this mantra

> -- doing japa with the right hand facing sideways and chanting 'om

namah

> shivaya' on the inbreath and loudly pronouncing the mantra during the

outflowing

> breath. We shared Brian's on-line comments from last year about

mantra: the

> moment of pause after exhaling as a moment of touching unity and

inviting the

> energy into individual consciousness on the inhale; the exhale with

mantra

> directing Her healing energy to areas of our bodies and minds and

environment.

> We led the group in chanting the mantra musically about 10 times,

starting

> slowly, gaining momentum, and demonstrating a rhythm. We gave out

the wallet

> and self standing cards and shared the idea of tracking weekly totals

by

> recording daily totals in a pocket calendar, as well as

Surya’s idea to the

> on-line group -- using a hand tally counter. We reviewed how to make

a weekly

> report of the grand total to Nanda.

> Making the Sankalpa: We entered the puja room with malas and mantra

cards.

> For those with no mala, we demonstrated the finger-counting method.

Again we

> welcomed people to make whatever sankalpa they wished. We recited the

> sankalpa prayer looking at the info sheet, held a flower and sprinkled

it with

> water, quietly stated our individual goals, offered the flowers onto

plate, and

> offered the plate to God at the altar.

> Unifying: We chanted a full mala together, starting loud and slow,

going to

> quieter and faster, with more focus. We sang a rousing Jai Maa aarati

ringing

> the bell, chasing away ego with a fly whisk, and waving a lamp. We

sang a

> Chandi Maa kirtan ‘til the little room felt like it would

blast right through

> the roof. It was a truly unifying experience, and people said they

felt Divine

> Mother's presence.

> We offered ash from the Devi Mandir 3-year yagya, for people to apply

to

> their third eyes. We sat together for a while, sharing conversation,

chai and

> sweet prasad. Local Devi Mandir family member Sadananda joined us,

and the

> three of us took turns relating little stories involving Shree Maa,

Swami, the

> Devi Mandir and sadhus, the sadhana, the books, the classes, the

on-line

> discussion group, and the daily webcam offerings.

> After several hours the bhav was high, and everyone seemed to be

brimming

> with joy. Some want to gather again for support and inspiration, to

chant the

> mantra together and share in satsang.

> Following up: We emailed to thank those who joined us, to offer the

> written orientation to those who couldn’t make it, and to

mention the possibility

> of future gatherings.

>

> Jai Maa........Jai Swami.......Jai Peace

>

Wow! That sounds just, well, heavenly! You guys did a wonderful thing.

Jai Maa!

Chris

, shubalanddurga wrote:

>

> Here’s an idea for increasing participation in Shree Maa’s 2007

peace

> mantra sankalpa:

> Shubal and I requested the permission and blessing from Shree Maa

and Swami

> to invite the people who sing kirtan with us to participate in the

sankalpa.

> We held a gathering last night to review and begin the practice.

People came

> with loving intentions towards manifesting peace. For us, beginning

in this

> way was powerful, inspiring, energizing and fun. We’re writing

to share the

> live presentation and also the written orientation we created for

those too

> far to join us (enclosed), which include parts of on-line group

posts by Swami,

> Nanda, Chris, Vishveshwar, Tanmaya, Brian and Surya.

> Inviting participation: We sent an email explaining the sankalpa and

> inviting people to a satsang a week later. We received 30 responses

from the

> Northeast, and 1 from Toronto. Of these, 10 came for satsang, and

another 20 couldn’

> t make it but expressed interest in an email orientation.

> Getting ready: Shubal and I met, coordinated about the goals and

activities

> for the evening and divided responsibilities. We quietly played the

CD of

> Shree Maa and satsang chanting the mrithunjaya mantra the whole

day. We

> laminated the wallet cards offered by Chris to the on-line group,

and printed the

> self-standing cards on cardstock. We made name tags and a dakshina

offering

> basket for the Devi Mandir. We prepared chai, prasad and arati ghee

lamps. We

> decorated the puja room with flowers, burned incense and filled the

space with

> candles.

> Putting the practice into context: We began by introducing Shree

Maa &

> Swami and what they do, and acknowledged their presence and

blessings. We gave an

> overview of the Chandi Path, discussed chapter 11 and passages just

before

> the mantra and the mantra. We summarized Vish’s recent on-line

comments about

> Swami's teaching that reciting the Chandi Path is a way to overcome

ego and

> realize the goal of life according to the Bhagavad Gita, to become

a Divine

> instrument. We shared Swami’s translation of the mantra, and

Tanmaya's recent

> on-line comments about its meaning -- a request for the wholeness

of the

> all-pervading Mother to heal the fear that torments our worlds with

the peace

> of unity.

> We talked about the Devi Mandir’s 3-year yagya for universal

peace and how

> the peace mantra sankalpa is aligned with the last year of that

sankalpa. We

> shared a photo of Shree Maa and Swami performing a yagya.

> Discussing & demonstrating: We discussed that making a sankalpa means

> concretizing an intention by making a commitment to oneself to do

everything

> possible to achieve a goal of deep personal conviction; that a

sankalpa is a gift,

> like the 2006 Mother Earth sankalpa was a gift to Mother Earth.

Most had

> never done a mantra practice, and some were uneasy committing to

> repetitions. We didn’t want people to feel pressured, so we

offered some ideas for

> making a less overwhelming start and encouraged people to do

whatever feels

> comfortable. We also offered a bunch of choices for the sanklapa

part of the

> evening â€" including making a sankalpa of 100,000 recitations,

committing to

> a different number, making any sankalpa, or simply participating as an

> observer.

> We gave an information sheet that followed the outline of the

meeting and

> included the mantra, the link to Shree Maa chanting the mantra

on-line, the

> sankalpa prayer, the reporting of weekly grand total etc. We

listened to the

> mantra on the CD of Shree Maa chanting the Chandi Path several

times together.

> We practiced the mantra slowly together several times looking at

the parsed

> transliteration on the info sheet.

> We shared Swami's on-line comments from a while back on the 3 sound

levels

> of chanting and benefits of each. We mentioned intention and

devotion as key,

> and that the speed for optimal focus and devotion varies for

different

> people. We mentioned that japa can be done anywhere, like while

driving. We

> presented a translation of the Mundaka Upanishad that Nanda offered

on-line last

> year -- about mantra as the bow, the devotional aspirant the arrow,

> meditation as the bowstring, and unity the target. We talked about

how ultimately the

> mantra does us; we become the instrument.

> We demonstrated the recommendations we’d gotten from Swami for

this mantra

> -- doing japa with the right hand facing sideways and chanting 'om

namah

> shivaya' on the inbreath and loudly pronouncing the mantra during

the outflowing

> breath. We shared Brian's on-line comments from last year about

mantra: the

> moment of pause after exhaling as a moment of touching unity and

inviting the

> energy into individual consciousness on the inhale; the exhale with

mantra

> directing Her healing energy to areas of our bodies and minds and

environment.

> We led the group in chanting the mantra musically about 10 times,

starting

> slowly, gaining momentum, and demonstrating a rhythm. We gave out

the wallet

> and self standing cards and shared the idea of tracking weekly

totals by

> recording daily totals in a pocket calendar, as well as Surya’s

idea to the

> on-line group -- using a hand tally counter. We reviewed how to

make a weekly

> report of the grand total to Nanda.

> Making the Sankalpa: We entered the puja room with malas and

mantra cards.

> For those with no mala, we demonstrated the finger-counting method.

Again we

> welcomed people to make whatever sankalpa they wished. We recited the

> sankalpa prayer looking at the info sheet, held a flower and

sprinkled it with

> water, quietly stated our individual goals, offered the flowers

onto plate, and

> offered the plate to God at the altar.

> Unifying: We chanted a full mala together, starting loud and slow,

going to

> quieter and faster, with more focus. We sang a rousing Jai Maa

aarati ringing

> the bell, chasing away ego with a fly whisk, and waving a lamp. We

sang a

> Chandi Maa kirtan ‘til the little room felt like it would blast

right through

> the roof. It was a truly unifying experience, and people said they

felt Divine

> Mother's presence.

> We offered ash from the Devi Mandir 3-year yagya, for people to

apply to

> their third eyes. We sat together for a while, sharing

conversation, chai and

> sweet prasad. Local Devi Mandir family member Sadananda joined us,

and the

> three of us took turns relating little stories involving Shree Maa,

Swami, the

> Devi Mandir and sadhus, the sadhana, the books, the classes, the

on-line

> discussion group, and the daily webcam offerings.

> After several hours the bhav was high, and everyone seemed to be

brimming

> with joy. Some want to gather again for support and inspiration, to

chant the

> mantra together and share in satsang.

> Following up: We emailed to thank those who joined us, to offer the

> written orientation to those who couldn’t make it, and to mention

the possibility

> of future gatherings.

>

> Jai Maa........Jai Swami.......Jai Peace

>