IndiaDivine.org

stretch pose question

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I teach Kundalini Yoga and had a question about stretch pose. A new student of mine has two herniated discs in her lumbar vertebrae. We were doing the Prana-Apana Balance set, and told me afterwards that she had experienced pain/uncomfortable tension in her neck during the cycling exercise (lying on the back) and during the variation on stretch pose (feet are lifted six inches, but head remains down on ground). She had her hands placed underneath her buttocks as I had instructed to help protect her lower back - is it possible this tweaking of the arms/shoulders led to some of the pain in her neck? When I practice stretchpose in this manner (this is the only way I practice it), I too notice some tension there in my shoulders and neck, though not painful, and I just encourage myself to breathe through it, considering it part of the exercise/experience. Should she not be doing stretch pose at all with her spinal condition? Is there a modification she can or a pose

she could do in place of it. I would appreciate any suggestions anyone may have. thanks

Cerridwen

No need to miss a message. Get email on-the-go

with Mail for Mobile. Get started.

Dear Cerridwen,

First, I repeat what I said yesterday. Doing any exercise you need to start out slowing and do only what you can do accurately. Accurately for stretch pose means holding the small of the back to the floor with a light root lock. If you can't do this with the hands stretched out, put them under your buttocks to protect the small of the back and maintain the correct posture, which should be using the abdominal muscles not the small of the back muscles.

Sat nam.

I teach Kundalini Yoga and had a question about stretch pose. A new student of mine has two herniated discs in her lumbar vertebrae.

* No stretch pose for her. When people have medical conditions they should have advice from their doctor on what exercises, movements and postures are not advised. I know must doctors don't give this advise specifically related to yoga, but they would say (or it is common sense) not to put undue pressure on a part of the body that is weak.

* We should also tell our students to do only what they can and when they feel pain that is not coming from the ego to stop immediately.

We were doing the Prana-Apana Balance set, and told me afterwards that she had experienced pain/uncomfortable tension in her neck during the cycling exercise (lying on the back) and during the variation on stretch pose (feet are lifted six inches, but head remains down on ground).

* I personally find this exercise creates uncomfortable tension in my neck too. I raise my neck to avoid this. Another way to avoid it is to raise the legs higher. We can still get an activation of the navel with the legs raised just below the point where it becomes very easy, i.e. when they are too high there is no pull on the navel center.

She had her hands placed underneath her buttocks as I had instructed to help protect her lower back

* This is good, but also as I mentioned in my email yesterday practicing any exercise you need to start out slowing and do only what you can do accurately. Accurately for stretch pose means holding the small of the back to the floor with a light root lock. If you can't do this with the hands stretched out, put them under your buttocks to protect the small of the back and maintain the correct posture, which should be using the abdominal muscles not the small of the back muscles. Or the neck muscles. As soon as either are engaged, stop.

- is it possible this tweaking of the arms/shoulders led to some of the pain in her neck?

* It was not the postion of the arms, it is the pressure on the neck from not being able to do the exercise.

When I practice stretchpose in this manner (this is the only way I practice it), I too notice some tension there in my shoulders and neck, though not painful, and I just encourage myself to breathe through it, considering it part of the exercise/experience.

* Breathing is good and important. If you don't hurt afterwards, sometimes we can push through an exercise, using the breath, to get the stimulation from the pressure, which enhances or creates the powerful effect. Each individual has to monitor him or herself to know when to keep up to create the pressure and when to stop to avoid hurting oneself. If we pay attention to our body, it always tells us.

Should she not be doing stretch pose at all with her spinal condition?

* Yes she should not do this pose, especially with the head down.

Is there a modification she can or a pose

* raising one leg at at time instead of both. Leg lifts. Alternate leg lifts

* Thanks for asking. This is an important question.

* If you do not have Guru Prem Singh's book Divine Alignment, I highly suggest you get it. (available on www.yogatech.com ) He explains in clear detail how to do the locks and the postures correctly.

Blessings,

Gururattana Recent Activity

a.. 40New Members

Visit Your Group