IndiaDivine.org

meditation to take criticism equanimously

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi to everyone.

I am working as a writer and have to deal with criticism. for example in a three hour

meeting where I am the one who has to listen to the comments of others (and never the

other way around...). There is the point when it becomes too much for me and great anger

starts rising in me. for some time I won't be able to listen to what's said because I go

inside and only listen to my anger, thoughts of running away, never working for them

again,... and so on. it's worst when someone is not given the criticism (or should I say

comments...) not spoken but written. and when there are comments given like "nonsense"

, "weak", "stupid". when I think it's good word I have done there.

Is there a meditation I can do addionally to my yoga practice that will make me more...

equanimous, stronger, taking it not so personally, or so? since it's my job I would like to

lose less energy in meetings and similair situations and deal with criticism more easily.

thanks!

vroni

Hello,

I would recommend the Divine Sheild Meditation to protect yourself from being prone to other people's negativity and emotions. This will greatly help you in your current environment and situation. Be happy about the negativity that you receive as it is also a blessing in disguise.

http://www.pinklotus.org/-%20KY%20meditation%20for%20the%20Divine%20Shield.htm

I have been in similar situations from what you decribe and the feeling I mostly had was that of being drained by everyone in my particular circle. I was lucky that through my own sports physical exercises and daily bani recitation the situations quickly became positive rather than negative. I saw that by being negative myself it was letting the surroundings affect me. Change was not overnight but gradual and I was thankful that in the end I could see the negativity which surrounded me for such a longtime turned positive and in turn brought positive people around me also.

Sometimes it is better to go through the negativity so you can recognise and acknowledge it and learn from it. Negativity is not a bad thing if you can learn from it not let is affect you.

Blessings,

Goldie.

vroni <vhampl (AT) web (DOT) de>

Kundaliniyoga

Wednesday, 24 January, 2007 9:21:08 AM

Kundalini Yoga meditation to take criticism equanimously

Hi to everyone.

I am working as a writer and have to deal with criticism. for example in a three hour

meeting where I am the one who has to listen to the comments of others (and never the

other way around...). There is the point when it becomes too much for me and great anger

starts rising in me. for some time I won't be able to listen to what's said because I go

inside and only listen to my anger, thoughts of running away, never working for them

again,... and so on. it's worst when someone is not given the criticism (or should I say

comments...) not spoken but written. and when there are comments given like "nonsense"

, "weak", "stupid". when I think it's good word I have done there.

Is there a meditation I can do addionally to my yoga practice that will make me more...

equanimous, stronger, taking it not so personally, or so? since it's my job I would like to

lose less energy in meetings and similair situations and deal with criticism more easily.

thanks!

vroni

_________

New Mail is the ultimate force in competitive emailing. Find out more at the Mail Championships. Plus: play games and win prizes.

http://uk.rd./evt=44106/*http://mail..net/uk

Goldie,

Have you been practicing the Dinve Sheild med. long term exclusively or in combination with other meditations. If so for how long? -Chris

Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate

in the Answers Food & Drink Q&A.

Sat Nam Vroni,

When you're go to these meetings, are you expecting that your work will be

criticised harshly and that no one will like what you've presented? One of

the first things to consider is your mindset. The previous post on having

a positive mindset is timely for you. Keep in mind, people are projecting

their own reality, not yours. If you are being critiqued and you it makes

you angry, then it's your own thoughts and feelings being reflected to

you. If you're being told something about your work and it doesn't bother

you, don't feed into it. No one can make you feel inferior without your

consent (Eleanor Roosevelt).

I invite you to try the mental Sat Nam breath meditation when you're in

the meeting. Mentally vibrate Sat on the inhale, nam on the exhale. When

you are allowed to speak, ask, in the most compassionate way, if you could

receive feedback that is more constructive and specific. Words like "weak"

and "stupid" aren't going to help you write better material. Ask your team

to find specific areas in your work and explain why something didn't work

for them, and ask them to suggest how it might be better, or what you can

do in the future so that the information is clear.

I hope this helps you.

love and light,

melissa

--

Breathe Deeply,

Melissa D. Haile

Kundalini Yoga Instructor

When the spine is flexible, life is flexible.

www.ModernYogini.com

March 23-April 2, Relax and Renew in Costa Rica. See website for details.

Hello Chris,

I practised this meditation a few years ago now just to help me from others negativity. I found it helped tremendously in my ability to concentrate on here and now and not too much on future events which often took priorty in my work. I think it was more the daily prayer recitation which helped me more as I never used to pay much attention to this aspect of my spirit. I was in the company of not so good people which did not help matters either.

Prayer recitation what Yogi Bhajan said is like a keyboard on the upper roof of the mouth cavity. When certain words are said in connection it can open up the chakras and allow the shakti to flow. Prayer is one path for this. Only when I started this did I have a much more relaxed outlook on life and not so money oreintated which was very dominant to me. It helped me realise that money will come and go and to enjoy the moment while it lasts as there has to be balance within the two. Everyone is blessed. Guru Arjan Ji sat on a hot blistering plate and loved it as it was God's blessing. The negativity is a blessing, twist it and make it positive for you.

Look within and the answers will come.

Blessings,

Goldie.

chris charles <ccharles79 >

Kundaliniyoga

Wednesday, 24 January, 2007 4:25:38 PM

Re: Kundalini Yoga meditation to take criticism equanimously

Goldie,

Have you been practicing the Dinve Sheild med. long term exclusively or in combination with other meditations. If so for how long? -Chris

------------ --------- --------- ---

Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate

in the Answers Food & Drink Q&A.

I don't know a meditation, but as a writer and having read alot about criticism in the writing world, it is usual for editors to harshly critique work.  Don't take it too close to heart.  You know and like your work, and that's what matters. Unfortunately people have the need to want to change other peoples works to what they think it should be, or change it in general, and don't know how to articulate that well.

Blessings.

Dear Vroni,

Sat Nam! In addition to what has already been offered, I will share two things.

First, the place where we can deal best with this type of situation is in the neutral mind. Being positive still keeps us in the dualistic mind, so positive is followed by negative. Even if the negative is not hurtful, we analyze the pros and cons and keep our minds in duality. So a meditation to move into the neutral mind would be good. I suggest the Smiling Buddha meditation in Transition to a Heart-Centered World. Somehow, even others change when we do this meditation. We really have to practice going into neutral in our own meditation and then practice keeping this space in the world. The rewards are great when we have access to this space.

Second, the need to be treated with respect is a need worth honoring and asking for. Could you speak with each of these people separately and explain to them that you value their feedback and that there are certain things that would make it easier for you to hear their comments. Request what works for you. How about a bit of humor, a smile, a 2 minute time out to stretch or to tell a joke or something to make the mood not so serious. It seems like the meetings would be more productive if things weren't taken so seriously.

The person who puts things like "weak and stupid" needs to be asked to be specific and not judgmental. One of our life lessons is to identify what we need and make requests. It just seems to me like you need to ask for a more compassionate, relaxed and fun atmosphere. Of course, you might not get it, but the fact that you have enough confidence to ask, can make you feel better about yourself.

Blessings,

Gururattana