Prema Bhakti Candrika: Chapter One—Sri Guru Mahimä

Sri Guru Mahimä

Glories of the Spiritual Master

TEXT 1

çré-guru-caraëa-padma, kebala-bhakati-sadma

bando mui säbadhäna mate

jähära prasäde bhäi, e bhava tariyä jäi

kåñëa-präpti haya jähä hate

The lotus feet of the spiritual master are the abode of pure devotional service.

I bow down to those lotus feet with great care and attention.

My dear brother (my dear mind)! It is through the grace of the spiritual master that we cross over this material existence and obtain Krsna.

PURPORT

by Srila Visvanatha Chakravarti Thakura

It is impossible to achieve the mercy of the Supreme Lord or devotional service without taking shelter of the lotus feet of the spiritual master. Therefore in order to enter the temple of devotional service, one must first take shelter of the lotus feet of the spiritual master. Hence, Srila Narottama däsa Thäkura is offering his prayers to his spiritual master.

The words sri guru mean the spiritual master with all spiritual opulence. The spiritual master is endowed with the potency to deliver his disciples from the grip of nescience and take them to the lotus feet of Sri Krsna.

In other words, the spiritual master is the treasury of loving devotional service. The words çré-guru-caraëa-padma do not only mean the lotus feet of the spiritual master, but the word caraëa is used here for respect, just as in Sridhara Svämi caraëa or Sri Goswämi caraëa etc.

The word padma indicates that the spiritual master is the embodiment of love for Sri Krsna and full of transcendental sweetness. It is also understood that just as the lotus flower is relished by the bumblebees, similarly, the sweet mercy of the spiritual master is relished by the devotees. Such a spiritual master is known as kevala-bhakati-sadma, the only shelter of unalloyed devotional service.

The words kevala-bhakti refer to pure devotional service devoid of fruitive activities, mental speculation and material desires. The word mui means “I am.” Due to the nature of pure devotional service, Srila Narottama däsa Thäkura has used the word mui in order to express his humility. “I offer my obeisances unto the lotus feet of the spiritual master, (described above), with great care and attention.” One should worship the spiritual master with great awe and reverence, without the desire for material enjoyment. One should search for the servitorship of the spiritual master and Sri Krsna. :pray:

By the grace of Kardama Muni, Devahuté experienced actual realization simply by serving. We get a similar example in the life of Närada Muni. In his previous life Närada was a maidservant’s son, but his mother was engaged in the service of great devotees. He got the opportunity to serve the devotees and simply by eating the remnants of their foodstuff and carrying out their orders, he became so elevated that in his next life he became the great personality, Närada. For spiritual achievement the easiest path is to take shelter of a bona fide spiritual master and to serve him with heart and soul. That is the secret of success. As stated by Viçvanätha Cakravaté Öhäkura in his eight stanzas of prayer to the spiritual master: yasya prasädad bhagavat-prasädo, by serving or receiving the grace of the spiritual master one receives the grace of the Supreme Lord. By serving her devotee husband Kardama Muni, Devahuté shared in his achievement. Similarly a sincere disciple, simply by serving a bona fide spiritual master, can achieve all the mercy of the Lord and the spiritual master simultaneously.

—Bhäg. 3.23.7, purport