IndiaDivine.org

AW: suicide in the Mahabharata

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Phillip,

How are things? Suicide in MBh is a theme I am working on right now, albeit limited to drowning and mahAprasthAna. Mac has the Thakur volume, I will pick it up tomorrow; I can scan the pages you want and email them.

What kind of suicide are you thinking of, prAya? I have been collecting various MBh drowning-at-holy-places references, in connection with the Sarasvata/Darshadvata yatsattra, tirthayatra, Prayaga etc, but have not made my way into books 12 or 13 yet. One important article on yoga & suicide, that Mac interlibrary loans has been unable to get for me(!), is:

Schreiner, Peter. "Yoga - Lebenshilfe oder Sterbetechnik?" In Umwelt & Gesundheit, vol. 3/4, 1988, pp.12-18.

kus'alam,

Chris Austin

----- Ursprüngliche Mail ----

Von: Phillip Ernest <yadbhavisyati (AT) (DOT) co.in>

An: mahabharata_study; indology

Gesendet: Montag, den 22. Januar 2007, 04:39:52 Uhr

Betreff: [Y-Indology] suicide in the Mahabharata

Dear groups, I want to locate the passages dealing with suicide in the didactic Mahabharata. I suppose they are most likely to be in Santiparvan or Anusasanaparvan. I have Nicholas Sutton's book _Religious Doctrines in the Mahabharata_ but the two index entries on suicide concern sati. I was hoping to find Upendra Thakur's 1963 book _The history of suicide in India_ in the BORI library, but I can't find it in the card catalogue. I recall that this book cites quite number of passages concerning suicide from the Mahabharata. They are to be found on just a couple of pages, as I recall. Can someone, using this book or some other book or his own knowledge, point me towards the passages I am thinking of. I have the impression that they can't be very numerous or long. Hopefully they occur together in just a couple of places. Perhaps they are in the part of the Santiparvan recently translated by Fitzgerald.

Many thanks.

Phillip

Pune

------------ --------- --------- ---

Here’s a new way to find what you're looking for - Answers

Dear Chris,

I would be very interested in your research. If you could keep me posted, I will be delighted. I am also keen to know about suicide in other texts/mythological episodes in Indian history and literature.

Like Sepukku (in Japan) does suicide have religious sanction at all in Hinduism?

Thank you.

Smarth

Chris Austin <sigurd_deinheld (AT) (DOT) de> wrote:

Phillip,

How are things? Suicide in MBh is a theme I am working on right now, albeit limited to drowning and mahAprasthAna. Mac has the Thakur volume, I will pick it up tomorrow; I can scan the pages you want and email them.

What kind of suicide are you thinking of, prAya? I have been collecting various MBh drowning-at-holy-places references, in connection with the Sarasvata/Darshadvata yatsattra, tirthayatra, Prayaga etc, but have not made my way into books 12 or 13 yet. One important article on yoga & suicide, that Mac interlibrary loans has been unable to get for me(!), is:

Schreiner, Peter. "Yoga - Lebenshilfe oder Sterbetechnik?" In Umwelt & Gesundheit, vol. 3/4, 1988, pp.12-18.

kus'alam,

Chris Austin

----- Ursprüngliche Mail ----

Von: Phillip Ernest

An: mahabharata_study; indology

Gesendet: Montag, den 22. Januar 2007, 04:39:52 Uhr

Betreff: [Y-Indology] suicide in the Mahabharata

Dear groups, I want to locate the passages dealing with suicide in the didactic Mahabharata. I suppose they are most likely to be in Santiparvan or Anusasanaparvan. I have Nicholas Sutton's book _Religious Doctrines in the Mahabharata_ but the two index entries on suicide concern sati. I was hoping to find Upendra Thakur's 1963 book _The history of suicide in India_ in the BORI library, but I can't find it in the card catalogue. I recall that this book cites quite number of passages concerning suicide from the Mahabharata. They are to be found on just a couple of pages, as I recall. Can someone, using this book or some other book or his own knowledge, point me towards the passages I am thinking of. I have the impression that they can't be very numerous or long. Hopefully they occur together in just a couple of places. Perhaps they are in the part of the Santiparvan recently translated by Fitzgerald.

Many thanks.

Phillip

Pune

------------ --------- --------- ---

Here’s a new way to find what you're looking for - Answers

• 2 weeks later...