IndiaDivine.org

lotus poems for composer Toshio Hosokawa

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear List Members,

I am a student of Old Javanese literature currently posted at the Wissenschaftskolleg zu Berlin, where I am working on a volume on textuality in the Malay-Indonesian archipelago that includes an effort to trace the effects of the kavya on the development of the figural resources of Old Javanese. The composer in residence at the Wissenschaftskolleg this year is Toshio Hosokawa, a composer whose debut of a work titled "Circulating Ocean" was received with great aclaim when performed at the Philharmonie last month.

Toshio-san is currently working on a new composition devoted to "blossoming" and has told me of his special interest in poetry relating to lotus blossoms, which he hopes might add to his inspirations for the composition he is currently undertaking.

We have very good library resources here so I have just ordered Dan Ingall's anthology (1965) and will look for some verses for Toshio there. However, it occurred to Toshio and I that it might be possible to save time if I asked a few of you to suggest a verse or two that are among your favorites from the long history of verses related to lotus blossoms. Names of works, canto and verse numbers for a few poems would be sufficient, but if you have time and the inclination to write out a verse or two using the KyotoHarvard protocol that would also be very helpful.

Many thanks for your consideration,

Tom Hunter

Wissenschaftskolleg zu Berlin

Institute for Advanced Study

Wallotstrasse 19 14193 Berlin

+4930 89001-322 Fax: +4930 89001-300

Email: thomas.hunter (AT) wiko-berlin (DOT) de or:tomaryati http://www.wiko-berlin.de

The fish are biting.

Get more visitors on your site using Search Marketing.