IndiaDivine.org

brief introduction

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Sat Nam!

My name is Susan, yoga name is Devta Kaur, given to me 8 years ago by Yogi Bhajan.

I first started studying KY 13 years ago, and got my Level 1 Certification 8 years ago at the Guru Ram Das Ashram in Millis, MA. I taught for 4 years and was a member of this list. I stopped teaching and, for whatever reason, practicing, at that point, other than meditation only when I felt I needed it. I also left this list at that point. In the past 4 years, I have had brain cancer (yes, I am proud to say I am a survivor), which put me out of commission for about a year, a herniated disk in my back (several months on the couch), and most recently, knee surgery (another few months on the couch).

Now, after all this time, I am returning. I will be starting to teach again at the beginning of March and am currently working on class plans, etc. I have started Sadhana again with the Basic Spinal Flex Series. It is good to be back, however, I have one major question which I am concerned about, if someone could help.

When I am doing sadhana on my own, in my own home, I am able to make my own adjustments for physical limitations, i.e. back and knee. My concern is when teaching; obviously there are poses I am not physically able to do. I, of course, can explain verbally the correct postures, but will it take away from my students' experience if I am not able to do them myself? I understand that this is a great way to show them that kundalini yoga is for everyone, age, size and physical limitations notwithstanding, but I wonder if it will take away from my ability to correctly teach. I look forward to any feedback you would wish to share.

Beyond that, I live in MA, am married with 2 children, 1 in high school, 1 in college; I am a belly dancer; am on the Board of my church where I lead the Women's Spirituality Group (I have taught them several classes through the years) and I where I run a major fund-raising belly dance event every year; I also crochet in my spare time (of which there is sometimes precious little).

I look forward to, once again, being part of the KY&M community. Thank you.

Goddess Bless,

Susan Morgaine (Devta Kaur)

--

Dance is the hidden language of the soul, of the body. - Martha Graham

Sat Nam!

thank you so much for writing in and joining the group again, i found it to be very inspirational! i can say as a new student to kundalini that it is so much about the love and energy you possess as a person and teacher that comes across much stronger than any of the physical stuff. We are working with such subtle energy and connecting with God that i think as long as you can explain it thoroughly and just be YOU that it will be great. I think life sometimes gives us obstacles to overcome or work through and thus adding to our personality and energy. I think that you'll have plenty to offer students..on a much deeper level than just physical asana..and thats what its all about right?

maybe if its a pose you cant demonstrate you can have a student thats familiar with the pose demonstrate? or you could give direction and make adjustments to the new students. That is soo much more personal and intimate!

Take Care and Keep up!

jared

Dear Devta Kaur:

No Problems!

You are a teacher, so pick someone from your class and ask them to

demonstrate. Be at peace with your own physical limitations and that

will give the gift of ease to anyone in your class.

You are the first person I "met" with the name Devta. Remember you are

a spiritual person, that's what it means, so let go of any attachment

to how you appear physically. For your students... be there, be

spiritual, be!

Blessings, Awtar

Good to hear that you are getting back into teaching, and even better to hear that you have overcome brain cancer! I noticed this because my wife is going through her certification for Kundalini Yoga currently. She has learned a lot so far, and so have I. I'm sending you an e-mail or private message so that I may be able to direct you towards an answer to your question. Talk to you soon!