IndiaDivine.org

Hinduism/Chrisitanity

Rate this topic

_Lala_

Hi im new to the fourms and im doing a paper on the Kumbh Mela and one of the questions i need to answer is how is this and Chrisitainty similar..i couldnt really find anything on websites and i was hoping maybe somebody from here could help me!!

thank you..im goin to eat dinner ill be back in a few:)

The similarities between Krsna consciousness as taught by AC Bhaktivedanta Swami and the basic tenets of Christianity as taught by Lord Jesus Christ are the same although if I might say more developed.

They include:

Monotheism

Devotion and love for the One Supreme Lord is the highest goal.

They both reject polytheistic worship. (Krsna consciousness is not Hinduism.)

Human life is for coming to know God.

I hope your dinner was vegetarian :)

Guest guest

The similarities between Krsna consciousness as taught by AC Bhaktivedanta Swami and the basic tenets of Christianity as taught by Lord Jesus Christ are the same although if I might say more developed.

They include:

Monotheism

Devotion and love for the One Supreme Lord is the highest goal.

They both reject polytheistic worship. (Krsna consciousness is not Hinduism.)

Human life is for coming to know God.

I hope your dinner was vegetarian :)

Unreal... another misguided Hare Krishna attacking Hinduism (the modern term for Sanatana Dharma) to a non-Hindu; the origin of his Gaudyiya Vaishnava sect, while praising a religion, which condemns the very tradition he belongs to. :( Please, please stop showing such disrespect to your Hindu brothers and sisters and spreading disinfo, with such careless comments. Hindus face enough misunderstandings in the west, without supposed followers of a Vedic tradition themselves, Hare Krishnas, adding to the confusion.

FYI: For the thread starter, Hinduism is not polytheistic, this is a common misperception by Muslims and Christians who do not take the thoughtful time as you are doing, to understand the cosmology of Hinduism. Hinduism teaches there are many planes and levels of existence. It teaches there are higher cosmic beings (devas) beyond the human level, that can interact with the affairs of this world. It also teachers that the Supreme appears in many forms and manifestations (Vishnu, Shiva, Durga).

Hinduism is and always has been a monistic tradition - it has never preached the belief in co-equal and eternal gods (polytheism). It has taught that all beings seen and unseener are ultimately part of the One Supreme Power, that we call God (or Brahman).

As to your query. Similarities between the Khumb Mela and Christianity. Hmm. One similarity I can see is Christianity has a tradition of water baptism, and baptism in rivers, like we see Jesus being baptized in the Jordan river.. Hindus also believe that water is a purifier.. and it is believed at certain astrological times, it is even more auspicious to take ritual purification baths. The Ganges and Jordan are both looked at as being sacred rivers, in their respective religions, to take such purification baths in.

Yes "hinduism" can be seen as monistic. But you cannot deny that polytheism is practiced under the umbrella of hinduism. Hindus routinely pray to Ganesh for money, Indra for rain etc.

Just as long as you can accept that Krsna consciousness is not Hinduism, did not originate in Hinduism and is not dependent on Hinduism in anyway then we are on the same page. You must admit monism and monotheism are not the same thing.

I did like your answer on Baptism very much. The symbolism for the ultimate cleansing of the soul is certainly there in both.

Guest guest

Yes "hinduism" can be seen as monistic. But you cannot deny that polytheism is practiced under the umbrella of hinduism. Hindus routinely pray to Ganesh for money, Indra for rain etc.

That is not polytheism, anymore than Catholics praying to saints and angels is polytheism.

Just as long as you can accept that Krsna consciousness is not Hinduism, did not originate in Hinduism and is not dependent on Hinduism in anyway then we are on the same page. You must admit monism and monotheism are not the same thing.

Not this semantics debate again. *Sigh*

Hinduism = modern name for Vedic religion, which is known in ancient Sanskrit as Sanatana Dharma. Vaishnavism is the largest path within Hinduism (with several sub-sects). Gaudiya Vaishnavism is one of those subsects. Gaudiya Vaishivism is not a stand alone religion, it clearly has its roots in ancient Vedism. And most Vaishnavas (Gaudiya and Sri Vaishnavas) in the east call themselves Hindu. It's mainly been western ISKCON members who have a problem with the term. Not the Vaishnavas in India.

Regardless of semantics debates, this is seen to the world as a Hindu message board, so it's strange for Hinduism to be bashed or misrepresented here. If you don't believe this is a Hindu forum, why is it listed on big-boards.com under Hinduism? and why are there are several Hindu sub-sections to this forum?

anyway, we can go all around forever on this semantics debate over the word "Hindu"... and it really doesn't interest me to do so. I only wanted to correct the statement that Hindus are polytheists, like the Greeks, Romans, etc. That is actually not the case, anyone who studies the deeper teachings of Vedanta will see the error in this misperception.

Peace.

That is actually not the case, anyone who studies the deeper teachings of Vedanta will see the error in this misperception.

And similarily anyone who studies the deeper teachings of Vedanta will come to Bhakti Vedanta and transcend monism and in so doing discover the eternal religion of the soul which is to love and serve the Supreme Person who we like to call upon as the Name Krsna.

BTW the devotee who runs this site is in direct line from AC Bhaktivedata Swami and is a Vaisnava and not a monist. You can't see the distinction between hindu and Vaisnava but Bhaktivedanta has made it very clear.

You say you are not interested in this conversation yet you started it. Anyway This is someone else's thread and we should not hijack it.