Is Mayavada the ultimate truth?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An excerpt from Teachings of Self Realization, by Srila Bhaktivedanta Swami:

The Vedas enjoin us to seek out a guru; actually, they say to seek out the guru, not just a guru. The guru is one because he comes in disciplic succession. What Vyasadeva and Krsna taught five thousand years ago is also being taught now. There is no difference between the two instructions. Although hundreds and thousands of acaryas have come and gone, the message is one. The real guru cannot be two, for the real guru does not speak differently from his predecessors. Some spiritual teachers say, "In my opinion you should do this," but this is not a guru. Such so-called gurus are simply rascals. The genuine guru has only one opinion, and that is the opinion expressed by Krsna, Vyasadeva, Narada, Arjuna, Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, and the Gosvamis. Five thousand years ago Lord Sri Krsna spoke the Bhagavad-gita, and Vyasadeva recorded it. Srila Vyasadeva did not say, "This is my opinion." Rather, he wrote, sri-bhagavan uvaca, that is, "The Supreme Personality of Godhead says." Whatever Vyasadeva wrote was originally spoken by the Supreme Personality of Godhead. Srila Vyasadeva did not give his own opinion.

Consequently, Srila Vyasadeva is a guru. He does not misinterpret the words of Krsna, but transmits them exactly as they were spoken. If we send a telegram, the person who delivers the telegram does not have to correct it, edit it, or add to it. He simply presents it. That is the guru's business. The guru may be this person or that, but the message is the same; therefore it is said that guru is one.

In the disciplic succession we simply find repetition of the same subject. In the Bhagavad-gita (9.34) Sri Krsna says:

man-mana bhava mad-bhakto

mad-yaji mam namaskuru

mam evaisyasi yuktvaivam

atmanam mat-parayanah

"Engage your mind always in thinking of Me, become My devotee, offer obeisances, and worship Me. Being completely absorbed in Me, surely you will come to Me." These very instructions were reiterated by all the acaryas, such as Ramanujacarya, Madhvacarya, and Caitanya Mahaprabhu. The six Gosvamis also transmitted the same message, and we are simply following in their footsteps. There is no difference. We do not interpret the words of Krsna by saying, "In my opinion, the Battlefield of Kuruksetra represents the human body." Such interpretations are set forth by rascals. In the world there are many rascal gurus who give their own opinion, but we can challenge any rascal. A rascal guru may say, "I am God," or, "We are all God." That is all right, but we should find out from the dictionary what the meaning of God is. Generally, a dictionary will tell us that the word God indicates the Supreme Being. Thus we may ask such a guru, "Are you the Supreme Being?" If he cannot understand this, then we should give the meaning of supreme. Any dictionary will inform us that supreme means "the greatest authority." We may then ask, "Are you the greatest authority?" Such a rascal guru, even though proclaiming himself to be God, cannot answer such a question. God is the Supreme Being and the highest authority. No one is equal to Him or greater than Him. Yet there are many guru-gods, many rascals who claim to be the Supreme. Such rascals cannot help us escape the darkness of material existence. They cannot illumine our darkness with the torchlight of spiritual knowledge.

The bona fide guru will simply present what the supreme guru, God, says in bona fide scripture. A guru cannot change the message of the disciplic succession.

We must understand that we cannot carry out research to find the Absolute Truth. Caitanya Mahaprabhu Himself said, "My Guru Maharaja, My spiritual master, considered Me a great fool." He who remains a great fool before his guru is a guru himself. However, if one says, "I am so advanced that I can speak better than my guru," he is simply a rascal. In the Bhagavad-gita (4.2) Sri Krsna says:

evam parampara-praptam

imam rajarsayo viduh

sa kaleneha mahata

yogo nastah parantapa

"This supreme science was thus received through the chain of disciplic succession, and the saintly kings understood it in that way. But in course of time the succession was broken, and therefore the science as it is appears to be lost."

Taking on a guru is not simply a fashion. One who is serious about understanding spiritual life requires a guru. A guru is a question of necessity, for one must be very serious to understand spiritual life, God, proper action, and one's relationship with God. When we are very serious about understanding these subjects, we need a guru. We shouldn't go to a guru simply because a guru may be fashionable at the moment. Surrender must be there, for without surrender we cannot learn anything. If we go to a guru simply to challenge him, we will learn nothing. We must accept the guru just as Arjuna accepted his guru, Sri Krsna Himself:

karpanya-dosopahata-svabhavah

prcchami tvam dharma-sammudha-cetah

yac chreyah syan niscitam bruhi tan me

sisyas te 'ham sadhi mam tvam prapannam

"Now I am confused about my duty and have lost all composure because of weakness. In this condition I am asking You to tell me clearly what is best for me. Now I am Your disciple and a soul surrendered unto You. Please instruct me." (Bhagavad-gita 2.7)

hare krsna, ys, mahaksadasa

Oh sure !

Hidden treasures like brahmin threads and dandas LOL!

the Sarasvatas didn't invent the process of giving brahman threads to Vaishnavas born in non-brahman families.

For example, in the families of Thakura Raghunandana Acarya, Thakura Krsnadasa, Navani Hoda and Rasikananda-deva (a disciple of Syamananda Prabhu), the sacred thread ceremony is performed, as it is for the caste Gosvamis, and this system has continued for the past three to four hundred years.

There are even axamples of non-brahman born Vaishnava brahmanas who gave diksha to born brahmans.

so, you obviously have a shortage of knowlege of the Gaudiya history.

Oh sure !

Hidden treasures like brahmin threads and dandas LOL!

In Śrīmad-Bhāgavatam there is no such thing as an ekadaṇḍi-sannyāsī; indeed, the tridaṇḍi-sannyāsī is accepted as the symbolic representation of the sannyāsa order. By citing this verse from Śrīmad-Bhāgavatam, Śrī Caitanya Mahāprabhu accepted the sannyāsa order recommended in Śrīmad-Bhāgavatam. The Māyāvādī sannyāsīs, who are enamored of the external energy of the Lord, cannot understand the mind of Śrī Caitanya Mahāprabhu.

"To date, all the devotees of Śrī Caitanya Mahāprabhu, following in His footsteps, accept the sannyāsa order and keep the sacred thread and tuft of unshaved hair. The ekadaṇḍi-sannyāsīs of the Māyāvādī school give up the sacred thread and do not keep any tuft of hair. Therefore they are unable to understand the purport of tridaṇḍa-sannyāsa, and as such they are not inclined to dedicate their lives to the service of Mukunda. They simply think of merging into the existence of Brahman because of their disgust with the material existence. The ācāryas who advocate the daiva-varṇāśrama (the social order of cātur-varṇyam mentioned in Bhagavad-gītā) do not accept the proposition of āsura-varṇāśrama, which maintains that the social order of varṇa is indicated by birth.

"The most intimate devotee of Śrī Caitanya Mahāprabhu, namely Gadādhara Paṇḍita, accepted the tridaṇḍa-sannyāsa and also accepted Mādhava Upādhyāya as his tridaṇḍi-sannyāsī disciple. It is said that from this Madhvācārya the sampradāya known in western India as the Vallabhācārya-sampradāya has begun. Śrīla Gopāla Bhaṭṭa Vasu, who is known as a smṛty-ācārya in the Gauḍīya Vaiṣṇava-sampradāya, later accepted the tridaṇḍa-sannyāsa order from Tridaṇḍipāda Prabodhānanda Sarasvatī. Although acceptance of tridaṇḍa-sannyāsa is not distinctly mentioned in the Gauḍīya Vaiṣṇava literature, the first verse of Śrīla Rūpa Gosvāmī's Upadeśāmṛta advocates that one should accept the tridaṇḍa-sannyāsa order by controlling the six forces:

vāco vegaḿ manasaḥ krodha-vegaḿ

jihvā-vegam udaropastha-vegam

etān vegān yo viṣaheta dhīraḥ

sarvām apīmāḿ pṛthivīḿ sa śiṣyāt

"One who can control the forces of speech, mind, anger, belly, tongue and genitals is known as a gosvāmī and is competent to accept disciples all over the world.' The followers of Śrī Caitanya Mahāprabhu never accepted the Māyāvāda order of sannyāsa, and for this they cannot be blamed. Śrī Caitanya Mahāprabhu accepted Śrīdhara Svāmī, who was a tridaṇḍi-sannyāsī, but the Māyāvādī sannyāsīs, not understanding Śrīdhara Svāmī, sometimes think that Śrīdhara Svāmī belonged to the Māyāvāda ekadaṇḍa-sannyāsa community. Actually this was not the case."

Brahmin threads are for brahmins goofball.

I was initiated as a brahman in ISKCON, but when I left ISKCON and couldn't keep up the the standard I took off my brahman thread rather than be a pretender.

unlike the false brahmanas who wear the thread because of false qualifications based on asura-varnashrama, I choose not not be such a pretender as that.

Guest guest

"To date, all the devotees of Śrī Caitanya Mahāprabhu, following in His footsteps, accept the sannyāsa order and keep the sacred thread and tuft of unshaved hair. The ekadaṇḍi-sannyāsīs of the Māyāvādī school give up the sacred thread and do not keep any tuft of hair. Therefore they are unable to understand the purport of tridaṇḍa-sannyāsa, and as such they are not inclined to dedicate their lives to the service of Mukunda. They simply think of merging into the existence of Brahman because of their disgust with the material existence.

Who is this personality who claimed that simply because one group keeps sacred thread n tuft of hair are more understandable over those who don't!

And group of sanyasis who believe in merging are disgusted with material nature etc.? So according to this all our rishis were a failure? As great vaishnava saint Kabir said, its better to clean your consciousness than your hair. Hari bol!

Guest guest

Who is this personality who claimed that simply because one group keeps sacred thread n tuft of hair are more understandable over those who don't!

And group of sanyasis who believe in merging are disgusted with material nature etc.? So according to this all our rishis were a failure? As great vaishnava saint Kabir said, its better to clean your consciousness than your hair. Hari bol!

Cuz The tridandi swamis had an axe to grind with the ekdandi swamis not seeing the same part of god in them too. :)

mSo where is the mayavad philosphy coming from the mouths of those who clain knowledge of it and allegiance to it? All I see is cheap pop armchair philosphers throwing cheap shots at another school's approach to God.

Why don't you great renunciants please go merge in Brahman already and put us out of our misery.

Theist has challenged, and I do as well. Is mayavad superior? So, we are waiting??? But no, you fail miserably, which is why even Sri Sankaracarya calls you fools and rascals and urges all to worship Sri Govinda.

You have nothing to teach me, because I am you, and you know all.

You cannot call me a fool because i sentimentally chant Krsnas name because my consciousness is connected to the same mystic liquid you spring from.

In fact, there is no you or no me, so why are were here at all. A true mayavadi would not be here, now or ever. Worship of illusion, this is mayavada. But the mayavadi wannabees come on line, so far removed from any white light, mystic liquid of non-existance, and they cannot speak their so-called brahmana realization, because they have none. The true mayavadi is like meher baba, who had the sense to never speak. He was a true teacher, because he knew to speak was to betray his very belief that we are all god, because the god we have to teach is not a god at all.

And you mayavads speak, but all you ever say is something to the effect that the gaudiyas are lame excuses for hindus, that gaudiyas are fanatics. Well, teach by your example, leave us alone, you have nothing to teach, we are all god, IM GOD, SHUT UP. NOW. See, you are wrong, and your following posts will prove my lack of authority, and since I am you are you are me and we are all together, yours as well.

Hare Krsna, ys, mahaksadasa

Of course Mayavada is superior!

If you can become God rather than the servant of God isn't that better?

Actually, that is what monists think - that they will become God in their perfection.

They don't see it as merging as a spark of light into the brahmajyoti.

They think that their consciousness will become supreme consciousness and they will in fact become God like Siva is God.

That is where the saying "Shivoham" comes from.

Shivoham means "I am Siva".

These philosophers think they can become God.

So, of course they think that is superior to being the servant of God.

If you can become God isn't that better than being the little servant of God?

Unfortunately, they never become God.

They end up as trees reaching for the light for hundreds of years.

Guest guest

Actually, that is what monists think - that they will become God in their perfection.

This just shows your idiotic understanding of Advaitavad, not even close

This just shows your idiotic understanding of Advaitavad, not even close

you have no clue what you are talking about.

what does tat tvam asi mean?

this is the big Maha-vakya of the mayavadis.

It means:

The Advaita interpretation holds that the essentials of 'tat', translated as "That" and referring to the Ultimate Reality, (Brahman) and 'tvam' (this individual soul called jiva) are exactly the same.

Yes, they think that the jiva will become one with the supreme Brahman and in essence BECOME GOD.

You don't know Advaita siddhanta.

You are just a pretender.

Guest guest

Yea right the Gaudiyas are the real knowers of Advaitavad LOL

What a freakin joke! Vedabasevadis know every religion better than anyone.

Yea right the Gaudiyas are the real knowers of Advaitavad LOL

What a freakin joke! Vedabasevadis know every religion better than anyone.

Vedabase?

As if I don't have access to Advaita Philosophy?

Try this on for size......

It's not hard to find out what the Mayavadis believe.

http://www.advaita-vedanta.org/avhp/ad-phil.html

vakya-a.gif - "ayamAtmA brahma" (muNDaka)

vakya-s.gif - "tattvamasi" (chAndogya)

vakya-y.gif - "aham brahmAsmi" (bRhadAraNyaka)

vakya-r.gif - "prajnAnam brahma" (aitareya)

Guest guest

Just because I don't throw before you what I know about Shankaras Advaita doesn't mean I know nothing about it! Your just trying to bait me so you can 'defeat' me like some bible thumper and it's a really bad attempt.

Your understanding of Advaita is completely biased from a Iskcon point of view regardless of what you can copy and paste.

Guruvani, your hate and anger shines forth in your posts more than any understanding you may think you have about any system of Vedanta be it Advaita or Gaudiya.

Your a very bitter and uptight person in life period it's obvious, more so here than ever before.

And yes I believe it's due top some personal issue in your life, try to heal or something man, your unbalanced hot head manner is unbecoming and is not convincing to anyone at all.

ayam atma brahma

Im no fan of guruvani, but you fail miserably. You say mayavad is superior, yet you do not explain. I clearly say that you do not explain because there is no explanation. You refuse to teach us lowly sentimentalists because you believe that we are all one, so why waste your words. You have actually arrogantly and absurdly stated this. Why waste your time?

Okay, why waste your time here among us lowly sentimentalists. We dont like you, we think you are the epitome of ignorance, and every post you do proves this point for all to see. Instead of presenting a proper thesis on Brahman realization to make a purposeful and wor5thy thread, your teachings are as follows:

1: Just because I don't throw before you what I know about Shankaras Advaita doesn't mean I know nothing about it!

2: Sorry no Pearls before Vedabasevadis.

3: What a freakin joke!

4: This just shows your idiotic understanding of Advaitavad, not even close.

5: Brahmin threads are for brahmins goofball.

YADA YADA YADA. When is your book due. Im sure it will seell like hotcakes, oh great advaitist When you become brahmana realized, come back, until then, just go smoke some dope. Maybe enlightenment will come in the drifts of ganja, because you have offered absolutely nothing in any way, shape, or form to what can be considered a "spiritual discussion". You bore me to the point that I desire to merge into mystic liquid so I dont have to put up with you anymore, no, that wont work, If I am you, suicide is a viable option.

Now the dudes gonna lump me in with our resident shock jock, guruvani. (we be coo, bro, but we be different, too. I like the tag ya got, I was once called the "dear Abby" of vaisnava net).