IndiaDivine.org

a small religious problem...

Rate this topic

christine_micu

I have a very important paper to write about 2 extremely original french writers, Jules and Edmond de Goncourt, and I'm having trouble with a line in their "In 18..." novel. Translated, the line sounds something like:

......more than two hundred million people are adoring a god who descended on the river Gange in order to steal some butter and empregnate some sheppardesses (?? the female sheppard... i applogize for my spelling, i'm romanian :) i just don't know who they're talking about....

help....

I have a very important paper to write about 2 extremely original french writers, Jules and Edmond de Goncourt, and I'm having trouble with a line in their "In 18..." novel. Translated, the line sounds something like:

......more than two hundred million people are adoring a god who descended on the river Gange in order to steal some butter and empregnate some sheppardesses (?? the female sheppard... i applogize for my spelling, i'm romanian :) i just don't know who they're talking about....

help....

She would be Radha.

But Krishna never impregnated her.

She never had any children with Krishna.

Krishna was a cowherd boy not a shepherd.

The Goncourt brothers were interesting writers, whose work I believe was mentioned in Proust's magnum opus. However, they seem to have been woefully misinformed with regard to Krishna's pastimes.

Guruvani is indeed correct; Krishna is a cowherd boy, and he has all sorts of relationships with the residents of Vrindavan, including romantic relationships with the girls in the cowherd village. But he never impregnated any of them. The Goncourts seemed inclined to sensationalize many things to one degree or another.