IndiaDivine.org

Srila Vrindavana Dasa Thakura Appearance Day

Rate this topic

bija

Shrila Brindaban Das Thakur;

The mother of Shrila Brindaban das Thakur was Shri Narayani debi, the niece of Shribas pandit. In his Shri Chaitanya Bhagavat, Brindaban das has described how his mother attained the affectionate favour of Shri Gaursundor.

Prabhu spoke to Shribas, "Just see this little girl before you who is your niece."

Present at that time in Shribasa's house was the daughter of his older brother Nalin Pandit, Narayani. She is still known today throughout Baisnab society as Narayani, who received the remnants of the foodstuffs of Mahaprabhu.

Shri Gauranga Candra, Who is within the hearts of everyone, told her, "Narayani! Chant Krishna's Name and cry!"

Then that little girl of only four years, became wild as though intoxicated. "Ha Krishna! Ha Krishna!" she cried, as tears streamed down her cheeks. Her consciousness gradually receded until she fell into the lap of Mother Earth, the ground all around her having become soaked by her tears.

After she grew up Narayani was married but while she was still carrying Brindaban das in her womb she was widowed. It is assumed that Brindaban das was born at Kumar Hatta. For a time he and his mother stayed in the home of Malini debi's father. Then they came to Mamgachi, where they stayed with Basudeb Datta.

There is a Gauriya Math temple in Mamgachi where Deities of Shri Shri NitaiGaurcandra, worshipped by Brindaban das still reside.

Finally, Brindaban das came to Denur where he established his Shripat. He also established Deities of Shri Shri NitaiGaurachandra here. At present the public transportation system to Denur from Nabadwip is not very regular. By car one can go from Nabadwip towards Kusumgram but before reaching Kusumgram take the turn off to Pursuri. From Pursuri it is about two miles to Denur.

The Bhaktibedanta Swami Charity Trust has renovated the bhajan kutir of Brindaban das Thakur at Denur.

Brindaban das Thakur was the last initiated disciple of Shripad Nityananda Prabhu. He accompanied Shri Jahnava Mata to the Kheturi mahamahotsab.

Shri Krishna das Kabiraj Gosvami has glorified Brindaban das Thakur as the Bedbyas of the pastimes of Shri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu. "The pastimes of Krishna have been described in the Shrimad Bhagavatam by Bedbyas. Brindaban das is the Bedbyas of the pastimes of Shri Chaitanya. He has composed Chaitanya Mangal which destroys any inauspiciousness for those who hear it. So that we can understand the glories of ChaitanyaNitai, the essence of the conclusions regarding devotional service as expanded in Shrimad Bhagavatam and the limits of the conclusions regarding Krishna bhakti, he has composed this great literature to uplift mankind. To compose such a work is not conceivable for a human being therefore we can understand that Shri Chaitanya Himself is speaking through him. I offer my obeisances tens of millions of times at the lotus feet of that person who has given us such a scripture which can deliver the whole world." (Kabiraj Gosvami)

Sri Caitanya Bhagavata by Srila Vrindavana Dasa Thakura online - click here

Full Glories of Sri Caitanya Bhagavata - click here

(I) HIGHLIGHTS

Cc Adi 8.36 purport:

Under these circumstances* it is a great aid for the common man to read Shrila Vrindavana dasa Thakura’s Chaitanya-bhagavata, for thus he can actually understand devotional service, Krishna, Lord Chaitanya and Nityananda. […]Due to misunderstanding Shrimad-Bhagavatam, people are misled regarding the science of Krishna. However, by reading Shrila Vrindavana dasa Thakura’s book one can very easily understand this science. (SP in Cc Adi 8.36 purport) (*difficulty for the common man in understanding Shrimad-Bhagavatam)

Cc Adi 8.38:

‘chaitanya-mangala’ shune yadi pashandi, yavana

seha maha-vaishnava haya tatakshana

If even a great atheist hears Shri Chaitanya-mangala, he immediately becomes a great devotee.

Cc Adi 8.40:

vrindavana-dasa-pade koti namaskara

aiche grantha kari’ tenho tarila samsara

I offer millions of obeisances unto the lotus feet of Vrindavana dasa Thakura. No one else could write such a wonderful book for the deliverance of all fallen souls.

From the Gaudiya Bhasya of Shrila Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakura:

This work of Shrila Thakura Vrndavana is so simple that even less-intelligent persons can make their lives glorious by under.standing the highest conclusions of devotional service and seeing the wonderful beauty of the liberated pure Vaishnavas of this visible world who renounce all forms of liberation, including salokya and sarsti, living on the same planet as the Lord and having the same opulence as the Lord.

From Bhakti Vikasa Swami’s notes on Shrila Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati:

Sarasvati Thakura himself would generally explain philosophy very deeply, but he said that Chaitanya Bhagavata is more important than Chaitanya-charitamrita for the common man because it is a lila-grantha. Without describing so much about philosophy, it describes the lila of Chaitanya Mahaprabhu, and is therefore easy for the common man to follow and understand the philosophy. Even though Sarasvati Thakura himself mostly explained philosophy, he said that philosophy is only for the greatly learned people, and for the common men Chaitanya Bhagavata is more important. So he said, "Read Chaitanya Bhagavata from time to time." If anyone came to him he would ask them if they had read Chaitanya Bhagavata. He often asked people this, including non-devotees. He recommended that for ordinary people, the first Vaishnava literature they read be Chaitanya Bhagavata. He wanted that everyone read Chaitanya-bhagavata 100 times.

Shrila Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakura’s letter to one of his disciples from Shri Chaitanya Math, Mayapur, December 22, 1927 (from the book Prabhupada Sarasvati Thakura by Mandala Publishing Group):

"Even though in this world we don’t get to meet many devotees from the spiritual world, the conversations and pastimes of the devotees of Mahaprabhu’s time eternally exsist in the form of books and sound, and that is why we do not feel so much pain from material troubles. If we live here in the association of the words of the spiritual world, then the memory of this association will keep us at a distance from material misery."

Nityananda Caritamrita by Srila Vrindavana Dasa Thakura - click here

Shrila Vrindavana Dasa Thakura

A Short Biographical Sketch Of The Author of Nityananda Charitamrita:

Shrila Vrindavana Dasa Thakura

Shrivasa Pandita, an intimate associate of Lord Shri Gauranga Mahaprabhu, had an elder brother named Nalina Pandita. His daughter, Shri Narayani Devi, was the mother of Shrila Vrindavana dasa Thakura. Mahaprabhu advented in this world to distribute love of God. He inaugurated His pastimes of distribution by first giving this prema to the four year-old Narayani Devi, who later became the mother of Shrila Vrindavana dasa Thakura. The Lord gave her remnants of His chewed betel nuts and thus empowered her. Later, because of being transcendentally empowered, Shrila Vrindavana dasa Thakura was born to her. Shri Narayani Devi personally saw the pastimes of Lord Gauranga. Whatever Shrila Vrindavana dasa Thakura heard from his mother and later found in Murari Guptaís diary about the transcendental pastimes of Lord Gauranga Mahaprabhu, he wrote down in Shri Chaitanya-bhagavata. Shrila Vrindavana dasa Thakura was a direct disciple of Lord Nityananda and was His companion in various pastimes. This book, Nityananda-caritamrita, was written by him. There is no direct evidence that Shrila Vrindavana dasa Thakura ever met Lord Gauranga Mahaprabhu, but he was born during the time of Lord Chaitanya. A book called Shri Prema-vilasa describes his birth and family identification as follows:

There was a brahmana named Vaikuntha dasa, who lived in the village of Kumarahatta. Shri Narayani Devi was married to him. From the womb of Narayani Devi, Shrila Vrindavana dasa Thakura was born. He was the incarnation of Shrila Vyasadeva. When Shrila Vrindavana dasa Thakura was within the womb of his mother, his father Vaikuntha dasa left this world and went to the spiritual world. When Shrivasa Pandita saw that his niece was pregnant and a widow, he brought her to his home. When Shrila Vrindavana dasa Thakura was five years old, he lived with his mother at Mamagachi. Vasudeva Datta, a famed recipient of Lord Gaurangaís mercy, took responsibility for the maintenance of Shrila Vrindavana dasa Thakura and his mother. At the house of Vasudeva Datta, Shrila Vrindavana dasa Thakura grew and studied various scriptures. Shrila Vrindavana dasa Thakura came and lived in a village called Denuda after the disappearance of Lord Gauranga Mahaprabhu, Shri Nityananda Prabhu, and Shri Advaita Prabhu.

Regarding the previous identification of Shrila Vrindavana dasa Thakura, Shrila Kavi Karnapura mentions in Shri Gaura-ganoddesa-dipika, verse 109:

vedavyaso ya evasiddaso vrindavanodhuna, sakha yah kusumapida karyatstam samavisat

The combined form of Vedavyasa, the son of Satyavati, and Kusumapida, a cowherd boy in Vraja, is Shrila Vrindavana dasa Thakura.

Shrila Vrindavana dasa Thakura spent some time at Mamagachi and then went to Denuda where he compiled Chaitanya-bhagavata. Shri Prema vilasa describes Shrila Vrindavana dasa Thakura's residing in Denuda:

After traveling and preaching all over Radha-desa, I arrived at Denuda. This is the place where Kesava Bharati enjoyed his childhood pastimes before going to Shringeri-matha to take sannyasa. His nephew Gopala Brahmacari had a well-behaved son named Gopinatha. He lived in this village with Lord Nityananda when I came here. I met Lord Nityananda along with many devotees such as Gopinatha and Bhakta Rama Haridasa. I offered my respectful obeisances to the Lord and began to sing and dance. After taking lunch, Lord Nityananda asked me for some mouth freshener. I had saved a haritaki for a long time. I immediately broke it into pieces and gave it to the Lord. The Lord accepted it and said with a smile, Stay at this place and glorify the transcendental qualities of Shri Gauranga. Do not worry for you will see the Lord here. Stay here and work for the benefit of all living entities. Install the Deities of the Lord here. Whenever you will feel separation from the Lord, you will be able to see Him here.

By the causeless mercy of Lord Nityananda, the storekeeper of Lord Gaurangaís love, we hope we will be successful in our attempt to glorify Him. May Lord Nityananda destroy all our obstacles and help us spread the transcendental qualities and glories of Him and His associates. This is our heartfelt desire. We conclude this life sketch of Shrila Vrindavana dasa Thakura by singing the following songs composed by the Thakura himself.

antare nitai bahire nitai nitai jagatamaya

nagara nitai nagari nitai katha ye kaya

sadhana nitai bhajana nitai nitai nayana tara

dasadika maya nitai sundara nitai bhuvana bhara

radhara madhuri ananga manjari nitai nitu se seve

koti sasadhara vadana sundara sakha sakhi baladeve

radhara bhagini syamasohagini sava sakhigana prana

janhara labari mandapa sajani shri mani mandira nama

nitai sundara yogapitha dhare ratna simhasana seje

basana nitai bhushana nitai vilase sakhira majhe

ki kahiba ara nitai sabara ankhi mukha sava anga

nitai nitai nitai nitai nitai nutara ranga

nitai baliya dubahu tuliya caliba vrajera pure

dasa vrindavana ei nivedana nitai na chado more

<!--[if !supportLineBreakNewLine]-->

<!--[endif]-->

"Nitai is within and without. He is everywhere within this world. He is the lover and He is the sweetheart. Everyone says it. Nitai is my regulative principles, my object of worship, and the light of my eyes. Nitai is in all ten directions. In fact, He fills all the three worlds. Nitai as Ananga Manjari eternally serves sweet Shrimati Radhika. He is non-different from Baladeva, whose beautiful face resembles millions of moons and is surrounded by sakhas and sakhis. The sister of Radharani, Ananga Manjari, is very dear to Shri Syama, and she is the life and soul of all the sakhis. She decorates the arena of the temple named Mani Mandira. Nitai sustains the yogapitha and becomes a throne for the Lord to rest on. Nitai is also the dress and ornaments. He enjoys pastimes with the sakhis. What more can I say? Nitai is the eyes, mouth, and limbs of everyone. Nitai, Nitai, Nitai, Nitai, I see only Nitai dancing. Raising my hands and chanting Nitai, I will go to Vraja. I, Vrindavana dasa, only request Nitai to kindly never leave me."

Shri-Nityanandashtaka

Shrila Vrindavana dasa Thakura

*Srila Vrindavana dasa Thakura was the last initiated disciple of Sri Nityananda Prabhu

sarac-candra-bhrantim sphurad-amala-kantim gaja-gatim

hari-premonmattam dhrita-parama-sattvam smita-mukham

sadaghurnan-netram kara-kalita-vetram kali-bhidam

bhaje nityanandam bhajana-taru-kandam niravadhi

I worship Lord Nityananda, the limitless root of the tree of devotional service. As He walks with the grace of a majestic elephant, His pure, splendid beauty shines like the full autumn moon. Though He Himself is the Absolute Truth, He is maddened with pure love for Lord Hari. He smiles as He rolls His eyes in apparent intoxication, He carries a stick in His hand [in the mood of a cowherd boy], and He breaks the power of the Age of Kali.

rasanam agaram svajana-gana-sarvasvam atulam

tadiyaika-prana-pramita-vasudha-jahnava-patim

sada-premonmadam param aviditam manda-manasam

I worship Lord Nityananda, the limitless root of the tree of devotional service. He is the abode of the mellows of devotional service, and no one can be compared to Him. He is the be-all and end-all for His devotees, and the husband of Vasudha and Jahnava, to whom He is more dear than life itself. Because He is always maddened with pure love for Krishna, the foolish nondevotees cannot understand that He is the Supreme Personality of Godhead Himself.

shaci-sunu-preshtham nikhila-jagad-ishtam sukha-mayam

kalau majjaj-jivoddharana-karanoddama-karunam

harer akhyanad va bhava-jaladhi-garvonnati-haram

I worship Lord Nityananda, the limitless root of the tree of devotional service. He is very dear to the son of Shaci-devi and is worshiped by the entire universe. Out of His great mercy He chants the holy name of Lord Hari, thus rescuing the souls drowning in the age of Kali and crushing the pride of the ocean of repeated birth and death.

aye bhratar ninam kali-kalushinam kim nu bhavita

tatha prayashcittam racaya yad-anayasata ime

vrajanti tvam ittham saha bhagavata mantrayati yo

I worship Lord Nityananda, the limitless root of the tree of devotional service. He said to Lord Chaitanya, “O brother, the people are all becoming infected by the sins of Kali-yuga. How will they atone for these sins? Please give them a way to easily approach You.”

yatheshtham re bhratah kuru hari-hari-dhvanam anisham

tato vah samsarambudhi-tarana-dayo mayi laget

idam bahu-sphotair atati ratayan yah pratigriham

I worship Lord Nityananda, the limitless root of the tree of devotional service. He went to each house in Bengal and, raising His arms, said, “ O brother, if you will, please constantly chant athe holy name of Lord Hari. If you do this, you will become free from the ocean of repeated a death. Please give Me this gift of your liberation.”

balat samsarambhonidhi-harana-kumbhodbhavam aho

satam shreyah-sindhunnati-kumuda-bandhum samuditam

khala-shreni-sphurjit-timira-hara-surya-prabham aham

I worship Lord Nityananda, the limitless root of the tree of devotional service. He is the Agastya Muni who forcibly swallows the ocean of repated death. He is a rising full moon (friend of the night-blooming lotus) who expands the ocean of the saintly devotees’ good fortune. He is the blazing sun who extinguishes the darkness of the community of demons.

natantam gayantam harim anuvadantam pathi pathi

vrajantam pashyantam svam api na dayantam jana-ganam

prakurvantam santam sa-karuna-drig-antam prakalanad

I worship Lord Nityananda, the limitless root of the tree of devotional service. He traveled on every path, dancing, singing the names of Lord Hari, and describing His glories. Without considering His own interests, He was merciful to the people, and He cast upon them His merciful sidelong glance.

su-bibhranam bhratuh kara-sarasijam komalataram

mitho vaktralokocchalita-paramananda-hridayam

bhramantam madhuryair ahaha madayantam pura-janan

I worship Lord Nityananda, the limitless root of the tree of devotional service. He fondly grasped His brother Lord Chaitanya’s soft and beautiful lotus hand, and together they wandered here and there, delighting the townspeople with Their sweet beauty. They both became filled with bliss when They gazed upon each other’s lotus faces.

rasanam adharam rasika-vara-sad-vaishnava-dhanam

rasagaram saram patita-tati-taram smaranatah

param nityanandashtakam idam apurvam pathati yah

tad-anghri-dvandvabjam sphuratu nitaram tasya hridaye

These eight verses glorifying Lord Nityananda are the abode of the mellows of devotional service, and they are the wealth of the pure devotees expert at relishing those mellows. All the fallen, conditioned souls can get liberation just by remembering them. These verses are very excellent, transcendental, and unprecedented. May the two lotus feet of Lord Nityananda appear eternally in the hearts of those who read these verses and remember the Lord.

(II) THE GLORIES OF SRILA VRNDAVANA DASA THAKURA,

THE AUTHOR OF SRI CAITANYA-BHAGAVATA

Cc Adi 8.55

bhagavate krishna-lila varnila vedavyasa

chaitanya-lilate vyasa--vrindavana dasa

Shrila Vyasadeva described the pastimes of Krishna in Shrimad-Bhagavatam. The Vyasa of the pastimes of Lord Chaitanya Mahaprabhu was Vrindavana dasa.

PURPORT

Shrila Vrindavana dasa Thakura was an incarnation of Vedavyasa and also a friendly cowherd boy named Kusumapida in krishna-lila. In other words, the author of Shri Chaitanya-bhagavata, Shrila Vrindavana dasa Thakura, the son of Shrivasa Thakura’s niece Narayani, was a combined incarnation of Vedavyasa and the cowherd boy Kusumapida. There is a descriptive statement by Shrila Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakura in his commentary on Shri Chaitanya-bhagavata giving the biographical details of the life of Vrindavana dasa Thakura.

Cc Adi 8.34

krishna-lila bhagavate kahe veda-vyasa

chaitanya-lilara vyasa--vrindavana-dasa

As Vyasadeva has compiled all the pastimes of Lord Krishna in Shrimad-Bhagavatam, Thakura Vrindavana dasa has depicted the pastimes of Lord Chaitanya.

TEXT 41

narayani--caitanyera ucchishta-bhajana

tanra garbhe janmila shri-dasa-vrindavana

Narayani eternally eats the remnants of the food of Chaitanya Mahaprabhu. Shrila Vrindavana dasa Thakura was born of her womb.

Cc Antya 20.82

nityananda-kripa-patra--vrindavana-dasa

chaitanya-lilaya tenho hayena ‘adi-vyasa’

Vrindavana dasa Thakura is Lord Nityananda’s favorite devotee, and therefore he is the original Vyasadeva in describing the pastimes of Shri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu.

PURPORT

Shrila Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakura says that all writers after Vrindavana dasa Thakura who are pure devotees of Shri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu and who have tried to describe the Lord’s activities are to be considered like Vyasa. Shrila Vrindavana dasa Thakura is the original Vyasadeva in describing chaitanya-lila, and all others who follow in his footsteps by describing Shri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu’s pastimes are also to be called Vyasadeva. The bona fide spiritual master is called Vyasa because he is a representative of Vyasa. Worshiping the birthday of such a spiritual master is called Vyasa-puja.

Not ordinary. He’s Vrindavana dasa Thakura. Vrindavana dasa Thakura is one of the acaryas. He has written Chaitanya-Bhagavata. As there is Shrimad-Bhagavata, he has written Chaitanya-Bhagavata.

(SP Initiation Lecture, Boston, December 26, 1969)

By this time, contemporary and near-contemporary scholars and devotees had already written several biographical works on the life of Shri Krishna Chaitanya Mahaprabhu. These included Shri Chaitanya-carita, by Murari Gupta, Chaitanya-mangala, by Locana dasa Thakura, and Chaitanya-bhagavata. This latter work, by Vrindavana dasa Thakura, who was then considered the principal authority on Shri Chaitanya's life, was highly revered. While composing his important work, Vrindavana dasa, fearing that it would become too voluminous, avoided elaborately describing many of the events of Shri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu's life, particularly the later ones. (SP in Cc Adi Foreword)

From the Gaudiya Bhasya of Shrila Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakura:

Vrndavana dasa Thakura, the son of Narayani, had great knowledge of devotional scriptures and was always engaged in preaching the glories of Vaishnava acaryas with his mind, body, and speech.

Those who have studied Shri Chaitanya.-bhagavata, composed by this great soul, certainly know that Shrila Vrndavana dasa Thakura was the topmost preacher of Shri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu's philosophy of pure devotional service.

Wonderful social reconciliations of the conclusions of devotion.al service are written in golden words by Vrndavana dasa Thakura in various places throughout Chaitanya-bhagavata. His service at.titude towards his spiritual master, Shri Nityananda Prabhu, is incomparable. No scholar of that time-in Navadvipa, Gauda-desa, Bharata-varsa, or the world-could stand before him.

At the time of writing Shri Chaitanya-bhagavata, the author knew very well that even many years after the Lord's disappearance the sankirtana movement inaugurated by Shri Chaitanya would continue. Without discrimination, both men and women joined in that movement. (SBSST purport to Cb Adi 14.81)