IndiaDivine.org

Blue Sapphires?

Rate this topic

I recently discovered a small Sri Lankan jewellery shop. I made an impulse buy of a pair of emerald cut Thai blue sapphires set in 22kt gold earrings. The shop was unusual because it was selling several Navaratna pieces and the man tending to me confirmed that these were Jyotish quality sapphires. I still have my doubts. The man's English was poor and I couldn't ask him if they were heat treated. He just informed me that the low price was because these were Thai and not Sri Lankan sapphires. Is there a way a jeweller can verify if a gem is heat treated? Thank you kindly for your time and patience.

I recently discovered a small Sri Lankan jewellery shop. I made an impulse buy of a pair of emerald cut Thai blue sapphires set in 22kt gold earrings. The shop was unusual because it was selling several Navaratna pieces and the man tending to me confirmed that these were Jyotish quality sapphires. I still have my doubts. The man's English was poor and I couldn't ask him if they were heat treated. He just informed me that the low price was because these were Thai and not Sri Lankan sapphires. Is there a way a jeweller can verify if a gem is heat treated? Thank you kindly for your time and patience.

Namaskar,

It is not easy to verify if it is heat treated or not except have lab tests that is set in Geology departments or similar one. In my opinion, most of the Sapphire either from Sri lanka or elsewhere (about 90%) are heat treated.

-WebYogi