IndiaDivine.org

Endowed with Wisdom ?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Friends:

The Mental Hindrances lead only to Neglect & Ruin:

The Blessed Buddha once said:One whose mind is dominated by uncontrolled greed, lust, desire, envy or jealouslywill do what should not be done and neglect what should be done! As a consequenceof that, his good reputation is lost and his contentment and happiness falls into ruin.Exactly and even so with anyone whose mind is overwhelmed by grumbling evil-will... or overcome, slowed down & stagnated by the hindrance of lethargy & laziness... or agitated, scattered, and worried by the hindrance of restlessness & regret... or perplexed, confused and bewildered by the hindrance of doubt & uncertainty... Such one will do what should not be done, while neglecting what should be done. As a result of that, his good name & status is lost & he is ruined by depressed discontent.But if any Noble Disciple has seen these five as contaminated pollutions of the mind, then he will gradually overcome & eliminate them. When doing so, he becomes knownas one of deep understanding, of rich knowledge, clear-sighted, endowed with wisdom. This lack of mental hindrance is indeed exactly what is called endowment with wisdom!

Source (edited extract): The Numerical Sayings of the Buddha. Anguttara Nikaya. The Book of Fours 61: Four deeds of Merit... [iI: 67]

PS: Please include the word Samahita in any comment, since then will my automatic mail filters pick it up and I will see it & respond!!

Bhikkhu Samahita, Sri Lanka.

Friendship is the Greatest ... Let there be Calm & Free Bliss !!! http://What-Buddha-Said.net Buddha-Direct What_Buddha_Said Dhamma-Questions sent to my email are quite Welcome.