IndiaDivine.org

Tithi Decision

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Sir,

I have some questions pertaining to Shraddha Tithi.

1.Generally as per our Hindu Shastras, Tithi is to be counted from one sunrise to next sunrise. There remains a big controversy in this decision. Sometimes it happens that Tithi is changed after few hours from sunrise as per Sun Moon distance. I will give one example. My mother expired in 1999 on Ashtami tithi as per calendar. This tithi was upto 5-35 evening as per real calculation of Sun Moon distance. My mother expired at 23.25 hours at night on Ashtami tithi when actually Navami tithi was started from 5.35 hours. Which day I should fix for Shraddha and death anniversary ? Ashtami or Navami ? ( I am doing Shraddham on Navami ).

2.Some say that Tithi of actual death moment should be taken for Shraddha day and one openion is that Day of funeral ceremony should be taken as Shraddha day. If one expires on Saptami late evening and if funeral is done on Ashtami morning, Ashtami should be taken as Shraddha Tithi. But I am not convinced with this second openion as sometimes funeral is done after so many days, how this funeral day is acceptable?

Kindly give some light on these confusions. Regards.

Ashwin Rawal

I have the same confusion ( no 1) regarding ekdasi vratam. Case like no 1 happens so many times for ekdasi tithi too. Some one please clear the confusion.

Thanks,--- On Sat, 12/9/09, ashwinrawal <a.rawal wrote:

ashwinrawal <a.rawal Tithi Decision Date: Saturday, 12 September, 2009, 4:07 PM

Sir,

1.Generally as per our Hindu Shastras, Tithi is to be counted from one sunrise to next sunrise. There remains a big controversy in this decision. Sometimes it happens that Tithi is changed after few hours from sunrise as per Sun Moon distance. I will give one example. My mother expired in 1999 on Ashtami tithi as per calendar. This tithi was upto 5-35 evening as per real calculation of Sun Moon distance. My mother expired at 23.25 hours at night on Ashtami tithi when actually Navami tithi was started from 5.35 hours. Which day I should fix for Shraddha and death anniversary ? Ashtami or Navami ? ( I am doing Shraddham on Navami ).

2.Some say that Tithi of actual death moment should be taken for Shraddha day and one openion is that Day of funeral ceremony should be taken as Shraddha day. If one expires on Saptami late evening and if funeral is done on Ashtami morning, Ashtami should be taken as Shraddha Tithi. But I am not convinced with this second openion as sometimes funeral is done after so many days, how this funeral day is acceptable?

Ashwin Rawal

See the Web's breaking stories, chosen by people like you. Check out Buzz.

In fact my father also expired and when we do shradda karma we usually take the nakashtra which he passed away.The date of the nakashtra may differ from year to year. Dont worry take the nakashtra in which he passed away and do the karma with your heart and soul.Regards--- On Sat, 9/12/09, ashwinrawal <a.rawal wrote:ashwinrawal <a.rawal Tithi Decision Date: Saturday, September 12, 2009, 8:37 PM

Sir,

Ashwin Rawal

Namaste,

Nakshatra or tithi is not the issue. Whichever you take, the issue is whether you should fix the nakshatra or tithi for the entire day based on sunrise. Suppose nakshatra is Punarvasu at sunrise and changes to Pushyami 5 min after sunrise. Suppose someone is born or dead at 10 pm. We should take the star to be Pushyami, but many take it as Punarvasu. Same thing with tihti.

As most rituals are done at sunrise, this rule may have been injected into shastras. For laymen, having a calendar with a nakshatra, tithi and yoga fixed for an entire day is conveniennt, instead of remembering the times within the day when tithi, nakshatra etc change.

If Ashtami was over before death, your mother's death tithi should be taken as Navami. Death anniversary every year/month is when Navami returns. it will be ideal if you can perform annual/monthly after-death rituals around the same point within tithi. suppose death occurred when Navami was 15% over and 85% left. Then take the time every year/month when Navami is again 15% over and 85% left. If not, make sure that the tithi running at the time of the ritual (and not at sunrise of the day of ritual) is the same as the tithi running when death occurred (and not at the sunrise of the day of death).

Best regards,NarasimhaDo a Short Homam Yourself: http://www.VedicAstrologer.org/homamDo Pitri Tarpanas Yourself: http://www.VedicAstrologer.org/tarpanaSpirituality: Free Jyotish lessons (MP3): http://vedicastro.home.comcast.netFree Jyotish software (Windows): http://www.VedicAstrologer.orgSri Jagannath Centre (SJC) website: http://www.SriJagannath.org

-

uma shanker

Sunday, September 13, 2009 2:30 AM

Re: Tithi Decision

In fact my father also expired and when we do shradda karma we usually take the nakashtra which he passed away.The date of the nakashtra may differ from year to year. Dont worry take the nakashtra in which he passed away and do the karma with your heart and soul.Regards--- On Sat, 9/12/09, ashwinrawal <a.rawal wrote:

ashwinrawal <a.rawal Tithi Decision Date: Saturday, September 12, 2009, 8:37 PM

Sir,

Ashwin Rawal