IndiaDivine.org

Mugguru Ammala Kanna Amma... Moola Kutamma!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Dear Devi-Tanaya,

Swami Rajagopala has asked me to give postings with my original name Shreeram Balijepalli and not as Subodha ( my mother's pet name). From today onwards I intend to give it with that name only.

Rajarajeshwaree Devi is called in Andhra as

'Mugguru ammala kanna amma Mulakutamma!"

This means that

She is the Mother of the three mothers(Lakshmi,saraswathy and parvathy) and that she is the inchoatory point(the moola koota...mulakoota kalabara!).

Both the praises emnate from Lalitha sahsranama(for the telugu people in this group who do not know)

I had been busy this week reading an ancient telugu text and translating it to english, Tamil and malayalam simlutaneously(though for my malayalam i took my father-in-law's help!)

This ancient telugu text is called lalitha sahsranama saravaswam and serves as a better bhasyam (explantion and commentary) on the words of Lalitha sahsranama. It also tells how to 1. Pronounce

2. Spilt

sanskrit words and read.

In this regard fantastic work has been done by

Samavedam shanmukha sharma of Andhra pradesh(whom I intend to consult when I go to Hyderabad).

I hope my translation will see the light of the day!

In this book the words mulakutamma and mugguru ammala kanna amma has been explained elaborately.

I came across many such interesting etymological roots of words commonly used in that book.

( For example the word " Kammal"( which the tamil iyers use) is derived from sanskrit word " Kamala" meaning lotus and refers to the lotus-shaped ear pendant worn in the ears by divine mother Rajarajeshwaree devi).

My mother is hails from a Mayavaram brahmin family, My father from Tenali (kollur) brahmin family and my wife from Thrissur brahmin family. I had been in Bangalore and mysore and my sister -in law hails from Karnataka. So I can truly call my family a 'pucca' southindian family! This amalgamation gave me lot of information on divine mother Rajarajeshwaree devi worshipped in various traditions!

My mother had great influence on me in Divine mother worship and always used to say with fear(though I did not like it!...love and not fear Divine mother) 'Ambaal' . My father loved Lord Dattatreya to the core though he worshipped various other deities by way of being a smartha brahmin and conducted my upanayanam at a very early age and made me learn some vedas of my shakah too.

And initially in my young age I wanted to break free from all this traditions and carve my own path...but later realised that the very venture involes lot of ego! ...what is the use of carving out anything? Do you make anything or break anthing?

Without deviating too much from our friend's question...let me get on with the rest of my posting.

The Hindu Godess Mother Lakshmi

She is the Power of Lord Narayana who is also known as Lor Vishnu or Lord Hari.Narayana is God's aspect of preservation. He is an embodiment of Shuddha satva. Lakshmi is His causal body. She is Maya, the illusory power of Nature. She deludes the whole world by Her vieling power and projects it through Her projecting power. She Herself asVidya lakshmi enlightens the spiritual aspirant. Beauty,grace a picturesque scenery or charming landscape, modesty, love, prosperity,music, thefive elements and their combinations, the internal organs ,mind, prana and intellect - all these are Her manifestations.

Without Lakshmi even sanyasins cannot do propaganda or preaching work or run their institutions. They are in fact more in need of lakshmi than the householders because they have to do great dynamic work for human weal. Sri Adi Shankara worshipped Parvathy,Lakshmi and Saraswathi for success in his work. All great prophets and divine messengers who have done great spiritual work in the past were devotees of Mother Lakshmi,Parvathy and Saraswathi.

As the the Consort of Lord Vishnu (Narayana), who is the God of Preservation, Lakshmi Devi is the Goddess of Health and Beauty. Sri Lakshmi embodies Sublime Beauty, Siddhi, Peace, Strength, Balance, Auspiciousness, Opulance and Wisdom. Because Lakshmi possesses all of these good and noble qualities, She embodies infinite wealth, symbolizing that good and noble qualities are the only wealth we can keep.

Lakshmi Devi is always depicted sitting or standing on a lotus with golden coins flowing in an endless stream from one of her hands, symbolic of when the lotus of wisdom blossoms, the wealth of good and noble qualities appears and Lakshmi's blessings are present. It is for our Divine Mother, Sri Lakshmi, for whom this site is dedicated. Enjoy and much Peace to you!

Lakshmi has 8 primary forms. These 8 forms are personified as Ashta Lakshmi (Ashtalakshmi). These eight forms are as follows:(1) Adi Lakshmi: Mother Lakshmi resides with Lord Narayana in Vaikuntha, the abode of Lord Narayana. She is known as Rama, which means bringing happiness to the mankind. She is also known as Indira (who holds lotus or purity). In this form, Laxshmi is normally seen serving Sri Narayana. Lord Narayana is omnipresent. Adi Lakshmi or Rama Lakshmi serving Sri Narayana is symbolic of her serving the whole creation. Adi Lakshmi and Narayana are not two different entities but one only. Lakshmi is Shakti. Lakshmi is the Power of Narayana.(2) Dhanya Lakshmi: Dhanya means grains. Lakshmi is the Goddess of the Harvest and the Devi who blesses with abundance and success in harvest. Harvest is a time of abundance after a long period of patience and tending to fields. This symbolizes the inner harvest, that, with patience and persistence, we obtain the abundance of inner Joy through the blessing of Dhanya Lakshmi.

(3) Dhairya Lakshmi: This form of mother Lakshmi grants the boon of infinite courage and strength. Those, who are in tune with infinite inner power, are always bound to have victory. Those who worship mother Dhairya Lakshmi lead a life with tremendous patience and inner stability.

(4) Gaja Lakshmi: In the holy book of Srimad Bhagavata the story of the churning of the ocean by Gods and demons is explained in detail. Sage Vyasa writes that Lakshmi came out of the ocean during the churning of the ocean (Samudra Manthan). So she is known as a daughter of the ocean. She came out of the ocean sitting on a full-bloomed lotus and also having lotus flowers in both hands with two elephants by her sides holding beautiful vessels.

(5) Santana Lakshmi: In the family life, the children are the greatest treasure. Those who worship this particular form of Sri Lakshmi, known as a Santana Lakshmi, are bestowed with the grace of mother Lakshmi and have wealth in the form of desirable children with good health and a long life.

(6) Vijaya Lakshmi: Vijaya is victory. Vijaya is to get success in all undertakings and all different facets of life. Vijaya is to conquer the lower nature. Hence those, with grace of mother Vijaya Lakshmi, have victory everywhere, at all time, in all conditions. Victory to Vijaya Lakshmi!

(7) Dhana Lakshmi: Dhana is wealth. Wealth comes in many forms: Nature, Love, Peace, Health, Prosperity, Luck, Virtues, Family, Food, Land, Water, Will Power, Intellect, Character, etc. With the grace of mother Dhana Lakshmi we will get all these in abundance.

(8) Vidya Lakshmi: Vidya is education. Serenity, Regularity, Absence of Vanity, Sincerity, Simplicity, Veracity, Equanimity, Fixity, Non-irritability, Adaptability Humility, Tenacity, Integrity, Nobility, Magnanimity, Charity, Generosity and Purity are the eighteen qualities imbibed through proper education that only can give immortality.

DURGA DEVI:

The name “Durga” means “inaccessible”, and she is the personification of the active side of the divine “shakti” energy of Lord Shiva. In fact, she represents the furious powers of all the male Gods, and is the ferocious protector of the righteous, and destroyer of the evil. Durga is usually portrayed as riding a lion, and carrying weapons in her many arms.''Durga'' also means the destroyer of the demon "du".

9 Forms of Durga --Nava Durga

In the northern part of the country, the first nine days of this festival, called Navaratri, is commonly observed as a time for rigorous fast, followed by celebrations on the tenth day. In western India, throughout the nine days, both men and women participate in a special kind of dance around an object of worship. In the south, Dusshera or the tenth day is celebrated with a lot of fanfare. In the east, people go crazy over Durga Puja, from the seventh till the tenth day of this annual festival. [The figure above depicts a general geographical classification.]

Although, the universal nature of the festival is often found to transcend regional influences and local culture, the Garba Dance of Gujarat, Ramlila of Varanasi, Dusshera of Mysore, and Durga Puja of Bengal need special mention.

The Garba & Dandia Dance People in western India, especially in Gujarat, spend the nine nights of Navratri (nav = nine; ratri = night) in song, dance and merriment. Garba is a graceful form of dance, wherein women dressed in exquisitely embroidered choli, ghagra and bandhani dupattas, dance gracefully in circles around a pot containing a lamp. The word “Garba” or “Garbha” means “womb”, and in this context the lamp in the pot, symbolically represent life within a womb. Besides the Garba is the “Dandia” dance, in which men and women participate in pairs with

small, decorated bamboo sticks called dandias in their hands. At the end of these dandias are tied tiny bells called ghungroos that make a jingling sound when the sticks hit one another. The dance has a complex rhythm. The dancers begin with a slow tempo, and go into frenzied movements, in such a manner that each person in a circle not only performs a solo dance with his own sticks, but also strikes his partner’s dandias in style!

Dusshera & RamlilaDusshera, as the name suggests occurs on the “tenth” day following the Navratri. It is a festival to celebrate the triumph of good over evil, and marks the defeat and death of the demon king Ravana in the epic Ramayana. Huge effigies of Ravana are burnt amidst the bangs and booms of firecrackers.

In northern India, especially in Varanasi, Dusshera overlaps with “Ramlila” or “Rama Drama” – traditional plays in which scenes from the epic saga of the mythical Rama-Ravana strife are enacted by professional troupes.

The Dusshera celebration of Mysore in southern India is a veritable extravaganza! Chamundi, a form of Durga, is the family deity of the Maharaja of Mysore. It’s a wonderful scene to watch the grand procession of elephants, horses and courtiers wending a circuitous way to the hilltop temple of Goddess Chamundi!

Durga PujaIn eastern India, especially in Bengal, the Durga Puja is the principal festival during Navratri. It is celebrated with gaiety and devotion through public ceremonies of “Sarbojanin Puja” or community worship. Huge decorative temporary structures called “pandals” are constructed to house these grand prayer services, followed by mass feeding, and cultural functions. The earthen icons of Goddess Durga, accompanied by those of Lakshmi, Saraswati, Ganesha and Kartikya, are taken out on the tenth day in a triumphal procession to the nearby river, where they are ceremonially immersed. Bengali ladies give an emotion-charged send-off to Durga amidst ululations and drumbeats. This marks the end of the goddess’ brief visit to the earth. As Durga leaves for Mount Kailash, the abode of her husband Shiva, it’s time for “Bijoya” or Vijayadashami, when people visit each other’s homes, hug each other and

exchange sweets.

Nava – that also means 'new' – denotes 'nine' the number to which sages attach special significance. Hence, we have Nava-ratri (9 nights), Nava-patrika (9 leaves / herbs / plants), Nava-graha (9 planets), and Nava-Durga (9 appelletions).

Here're the 9 manifestations of Goddess Durga. Each goddess has a different form and a special significance. Nava Durga, if worshipped with religious fervor, it is believed, lift the divine spirit in us and fill us with renewed happiness.

Following are the nine forms manifested by the Goddess Durga:

Shree Shaila Putri

Shree Brahmacharini

Shree Chandraghanta

Shree Kusmanda

Shree Skandamata

Shree Katyaa-yani

Shree Kaal Ratri

Shree Mahagauri

Shree Siddhidaatri

SKONDAMATA

KUSUMANDA

SHAILAPUTRI

She is the Goddess of Fire. She has four arms and three eyes. She rides a lion.

Seated on a lion, she has a magnanimous presence, and possesses eight arms. Her abode is the Solar region.

The embodiment of the power of Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva, she rides a bull and carries a trident and a lotus in her two hands.

KAALRATRI

BRAHMACHARINI

MAHA GAURI

This four-armed form rides an ass. She dissipates darkness from amidst her devotees, and bestows freedom from fear and adversity.

She is the one who practices devout austerity. Filled with bliss and happiness, she is the way to emancipation - Moksha.

She is like an eight-year-old girl. She is intelligent and peaceful, possesses three eyes and four arms, and uses the bull as her vehicle.

KATYAYANI

CHANDRAGHANTA

SIDDHIDATRI

The chosen goddess of Vrindavan, she is alluring in her golden form. She has four arms and three eyes, she is seated on a lion.

She is the apostle of bravery; she rides a lion, and has ten arms. She drives away all evildoers and demoniac incarnation.

The bestower of accomplishments, this manifestation is worshipped as one blessed with glory. Seated on a lotus, she has four arms

Godess Saraswathy:

The Goddess Saraswathi is worshipped as the Goddess of Learning, the deity of Gayathri, the fountain of fine arts and science, and the symbol of supreme vedantic knowledge. On the Durgashtami day ,a ceremony called Poojavaipu is performed in the evening in Kerala. In a village, generally, it is done only in certain households, in temples and also sometimes in the village schools. The Brahmin houses and the houses which enjoy reputation for learning, mainly take the lead in celebrating the festival. The members of other houses in the village attend the ceremony performed in these houses or institutions. In a well-decorated room, books and grandhas (holy books) are tastefully arranged with a picture or an image of Goddess Saraswathi in front. In certain poaches weapons and implements are kept by the side of books and garandhas. Then a Puja is performed to Saraswathi during which fruits, beaten rice, roasted

paddy (malar), jaggery etc, are offered to Her. These offerings are distributed among those present when the Puja is over. Just before the Pujavaipu, all studies and work which mainly require skill, are suspended. The following day is known as Mahanavami and it is totally devoted to the worship of Saraswathi. Pooja is performed both in the morning and in the evening. Many more items such as rice, payasam, thirali, etc are also offered to Devi.

The ten-day Saraswati festival, also known as Dussehra or Navaratri, is held September-October. It's celebrated throughout India but takes on special significance in Kerala. Young children are taken to The Goddess Saraswathi is worshipped as the Goddess of Learning, the deity of Gayathri, the fountain of fine arts and science, and the symbol of supreme vedantic knowledge. On the Durgashtami day ,a ceremony called Poojavaipu is performed in the evening in Kerala. In a village, generally, it is done only in certain households, in temples and also sometimes in the village schools. The Brahmin houses and the houses which enjoy reputation for learning, mainly take the lead in celebrating the festival. The members of other houses in the village attend

the ceremony performed in these houses or institutions. In a well-decorated room, books and grandhas (holy books) are tastefully arranged with a picture or an image of Goddess Saraswathi in front. In certain poaches weapons and implements are kept by the side of books and garandhas. Then a Puja is performed to Saraswathi during which fruits, beaten rice, roasted paddy (malar), jaggery etc, are offered to Her. These offerings are distributed among those present when the Puja is over. Just before the Pujavaipu, all studies and work which mainly require skill, are suspended. The following day is known as Mahanavami and it is totally devoted to the worship of Saraswathi. Pooja is performed both in the morning and in the evening. Many more items such as rice, payasam, thirali, etc are also offered to Devi.The ten-day Saraswati festival, also known as Dussehra or Navaratri, is held September-October. It's celebrated throughout India but takes on special

significance in Kerala. Young children are taken to the temples and, before an image of a goddess-celebrated in Kerala as Saraswati, the goddess of wisdom and learning-they are introduced to the letters of the alphabetthe temples and, before an image of a goddess-celebrated in Kerala as Saraswati, the goddess of wisdom and learning-they are introduced to the letters of the alphabet.

She has three forms vaagvaadini,vamakesi vimaanastha.

some say that she has three forms like gayathri, savithri and saraswathy.

Godess ganga has 16 forms and those forms are depicted in her sahsranama.

Pundits vary in their commentaries for this godess.

(Godess Ganga)

Her vahana is a crocodile!

Ganga holds a very prominent place in Indian culture, and is revered by indians and even foreigners alike. Ganges is known not simply as a river but symbolises the endevavour of mankind and is known as river of gods.

The holy anicient Hindu Scripture "MATSAYA PURAN". North of Kailash there is vast greenary area of "Haridnya Sharang", which produces vast variety of diseas curving herbs. A beautiful vast lake named "Bindusar". King BHAGIRATHI, on the shore of this lake, prayed for a long time to appease Godess Ganges for attainment of Salvation to his ancesstors. In Hindu mythology there is a popular belief that if the "ashes"(Urns) of the dead bodies are the immersed in river Ganges, the soul of the departeds are accessable to "Heaven". Conceeding to the prayer of king Bhagirathi,Godess Ganges desended from Heaven to earth, and flew form of river and thus providing salvation to the ancestors (Sixty thousands Sons of King Sagar) of Bhagirathi. When Ganga descended to earth Lord "Shiva" at that time was meditating at "Kailash". In the process, some

drops sprinkled on the forehead of Lord SHIVA, and this in furiated him, who in turn confined the Ganges under his huge "JATA". But being appeased by the meditation of Bhagirathi, Lord SHIVA, released the Ganges from his "JATA", thus allowing her to flow on the earth and thus providing Salvation to the ancestors of Bhagirathi.

Yours Yogically,

Shreeram Balijepalli

Hello,A message has been sent to the Rajarajeshwari_Kalpataru group fromgtbadman2001 The message summary:--------------------FROM: gtbadman2001 DATE: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 08:05:33 -0700 (PDT) SUBJECT: Re: [Rajarajeshwari_Kalpataru] Goddess Lakshmi : Description How many forms does Mother Lakshmi has? How many forms does Durga has? How many forms does Sarasvati has? how many formsdoes ganga has? please answer for i dont know much about the devi's thank you rishi --- devishakti_india wrote: > > > > LAKSHMI > > (THE GODDESS OF FORTUNE) > > > > > > --------------------A complete copy of this message has been attached for your convenience.This message requires your approval for one of the following

reasons:* Your group is set to moderate all messages from this user, OR* Your group is set to moderate messages from all usersTo approve or reject this messages using the web, please visit:Rajarajeshwari_Kalpataru/pending?view=1 & msg=706 To approve this message using email, reply to this message. You do not need to attach the original message, just reply and send.To reject this message using email, forward this message toRajarajeshwari_Kalpataru-reject-R4=4190BG2e5DfMif74pOek NOTE: The pending message will expire after 14 days. If you do not take action within that time, the pending message will be automaticallyrejected. does this to maintain a high quality ofservice for our users.Thank you for choosing .Regards, Customer Care

Guest guest

Dear Brother,

This is another GR8 article from your side.

I would like to forward this article with your permission to my group .

Pranam,

Babitha

Subodha <para_anuloma wrote:

Dear Devi-Tanaya,

Swami Rajagopala has asked me to give postings with my original name Shreeram Balijepalli and not as Subodha ( my mother's pet name). From today onwards I intend to give it with that name only.

Rajarajeshwaree Devi is called in Andhra as

'Mugguru ammala kanna amma Mulakutamma!"

This means that

She is the Mother of the three mothers(Lakshmi,saraswathy and parvathy) and that she is the inchoatory point(the moola koota...mulakoota kalabara!).

Both the praises emnate from Lalitha sahsranama(for the telugu people in this group who do not know)

I had been busy this week reading an ancient telugu text and translating it to english, Tamil and malayalam simlutaneously(though for my malayalam i took my father-in-law's help!)

This ancient telugu text is called lalitha sahsranama saravaswam and serves as a better bhasyam (explantion and commentary) on the words of Lalitha sahsranama. It also tells how to 1. Pronounce

2. Spilt

sanskrit words and read.

In this regard fantastic work has been done by

Samavedam shanmukha sharma of Andhra pradesh(whom I intend to consult when I go to Hyderabad).

I hope my translation will see the light of the day!

In this book the words mulakutamma and mugguru ammala kanna amma has been explained elaborately.

I came across many such interesting etymological roots of words commonly used in that book.

( For example the word " Kammal"( which the tamil iyers use) is derived from sanskrit word " Kamala" meaning lotus and refers to the lotus-shaped ear pendant worn in the ears by divine mother Rajarajeshwaree devi).

My mother is hails from a Mayavaram brahmin family, My father from Tenali (kollur) brahmin family and my wife from Thrissur brahmin family. I had been in Bangalore and mysore and my sister -in law hails from Karnataka. So I can truly call my family a 'pucca' southindian family! This amalgamation gave me lot of information on divine mother Rajarajeshwaree devi worshipped in various traditions!

My mother had great influence on me in Divine mother worship and always used to say with fear(though I did not like it!...love and not fear Divine mother) 'Ambaal' . My father loved Lord Dattatreya to the core though he worshipped various other deities by way of being a smartha brahmin and conducted my upanayanam at a very early age and made me learn some vedas of my shakah too.

And initially in my young age I wanted to break free from all this traditions and carve my own path...but later realised that the very venture involes lot of ego! ...what is the use of carving out anything? Do you make anything or break anthing?

Without deviating too much from our friend's question...let me get on with the rest of my posting.

The Hindu Godess Mother Lakshmi

She is the Power of Lord Narayana who is also known as Lor Vishnu or Lord Hari.Narayana is God's aspect of preservation. He is an embodiment of Shuddha satva. Lakshmi is His causal body. She is Maya, the illusory power of Nature. She deludes the whole world by Her vieling power and projects it through Her projecting power. She Herself asVidya lakshmi enlightens the spiritual aspirant. Beauty,grace a picturesque scenery or charming landscape, modesty, love, prosperity,music, thefive elements and their combinations, the internal organs ,mind, prana and intellect - all these are Her manifestations.

Without Lakshmi even sanyasins cannot do propaganda or preaching work or run their institutions. They are in fact more in need of lakshmi than the householders because they have to do great dynamic work for human weal. Sri Adi Shankara worshipped Parvathy,Lakshmi and Saraswathi for success in his work. All great prophets and divine messengers who have done great spiritual work in the past were devotees of Mother Lakshmi,Parvathy and Saraswathi.

As the the Consort of Lord Vishnu (Narayana), who is the God of Preservation, Lakshmi Devi is the Goddess of Health and Beauty. Sri Lakshmi embodies Sublime Beauty, Siddhi, Peace, Strength, Balance, Auspiciousness, Opulance and Wisdom. Because Lakshmi possesses all of these good and noble qualities, She embodies infinite wealth, symbolizing that good and noble qualities are the only wealth we can keep.

Lakshmi Devi is always depicted sitting or standing on a lotus with golden coins flowing in an endless stream from one of her hands, symbolic of when the lotus of wisdom blossoms, the wealth of good and noble qualities appears and Lakshmi's blessings are present. It is for our Divine Mother, Sri Lakshmi, for whom this site is dedicated. Enjoy and much Peace to you!

Lakshmi has 8 primary forms. These 8 forms are personified as Ashta Lakshmi (Ashtalakshmi). These eight forms are as follows:(1) Adi Lakshmi: Mother Lakshmi resides with Lord Narayana in Vaikuntha, the abode of Lord Narayana. She is known as Rama, which means bringing happiness to the mankind. She is also known as Indira (who holds lotus or purity). In this form, Laxshmi is normally seen serving Sri Narayana. Lord Narayana is omnipresent. Adi Lakshmi or Rama Lakshmi serving Sri Narayana is symbolic of her serving the whole creation. Adi Lakshmi and Narayana are not two different entities but one only. Lakshmi is Shakti. Lakshmi is the Power of Narayana.(2) Dhanya Lakshmi: Dhanya means grains. Lakshmi is the Goddess of the Harvest and the Devi who blesses with abundance and success in harvest. Harvest is a time of abundance after a long period of patience and tending to fields. This symbolizes the inner harvest, that, with patience and persistence, we obtain the abundance of inner Joy through the blessing of Dhanya Lakshmi.

(3) Dhairya Lakshmi: This form of mother Lakshmi grants the boon of infinite courage and strength. Those, who are in tune with infinite inner power, are always bound to have victory. Those who worship mother Dhairya Lakshmi lead a life with tremendous patience and inner stability.

(4) Gaja Lakshmi: In the holy book of Srimad Bhagavata the story of the churning of the ocean by Gods and demons is explained in detail. Sage Vyasa writes that Lakshmi came out of the ocean during the churning of the ocean (Samudra Manthan). So she is known as a daughter of the ocean. She came out of the ocean sitting on a full-bloomed lotus and also having lotus flowers in both hands with two elephants by her sides holding beautiful vessels.

(5) Santana Lakshmi: In the family life, the children are the greatest treasure. Those who worship this particular form of Sri Lakshmi, known as a Santana Lakshmi, are bestowed with the grace of mother Lakshmi and have wealth in the form of desirable children with good health and a long life.

(6) Vijaya Lakshmi: Vijaya is victory. Vijaya is to get success in all undertakings and all different facets of life. Vijaya is to conquer the lower nature. Hence those, with grace of mother Vijaya Lakshmi, have victory everywhere, at all time, in all conditions. Victory to Vijaya Lakshmi!

(7) Dhana Lakshmi: Dhana is wealth. Wealth comes in many forms: Nature, Love, Peace, Health, Prosperity, Luck, Virtues, Family, Food, Land, Water, Will Power, Intellect, Character, etc. With the grace of mother Dhana Lakshmi we will get all these in abundance.

(8) Vidya Lakshmi: Vidya is education. Serenity, Regularity, Absence of Vanity, Sincerity, Simplicity, Veracity, Equanimity, Fixity, Non-irritability, Adaptability Humility, Tenacity, Integrity, Nobility, Magnanimity, Charity, Generosity and Purity are the eighteen qualities imbibed through proper education that only can give immortality.

DURGA DEVI:

The name “Durga” means “inaccessible”, and she is the personification of the active side of the divine “shakti” energy of Lord Shiva. In fact, she represents the furious powers of all the male Gods, and is the ferocious protector of the righteous, and destroyer of the evil. Durga is usually portrayed as riding a lion, and carrying weapons in her many arms.''Durga'' also means the destroyer of the demon "du".

9 Forms of Durga --Nava Durga

In the northern part of the country, the first nine days of this festival, called Navaratri, is commonly observed as a time for rigorous fast, followed by celebrations on the tenth day. In western India, throughout the nine days, both men and women participate in a special kind of dance around an object of worship. In the south, Dusshera or the tenth day is celebrated with a lot of fanfare. In the east, people go crazy over Durga Puja, from the seventh till the tenth day of this annual festival. [The figure above depicts a general geographical classification.]

Although, the universal nature of the festival is often found to transcend regional influences and local culture, the Garba Dance of Gujarat, Ramlila of Varanasi, Dusshera of Mysore, and Durga Puja of Bengal need special mention.

The Garba & Dandia Dance People in western India, especially in Gujarat, spend the nine nights of Navratri (nav = nine; ratri = night) in song, dance and merriment. Garba is a graceful form of dance, wherein women dressed in exquisitely embroidered choli, ghagra and bandhani dupattas, dance gracefully in circles around a pot containing a lamp. The word “Garba” or “Garbha” means “womb”, and in this context the lamp in the pot, symbolically represent life within a womb. Besides the Garba is the “Dandia” dance, in which men and women participate in pairs with

small, decorated bamboo sticks called dandias in their hands. At the end of these dandias are tied tiny bells called ghungroos that make a jingling sound when the sticks hit one another. The dance has a complex rhythm. The dancers begin with a slow tempo, and go into frenzied movements, in such a manner that each person in a circle not only performs a solo dance with his own sticks, but also strikes his partner’s dandias in style!

Dusshera & RamlilaDusshera, as the name suggests occurs on the “tenth” day following the Navratri. It is a festival to celebrate the triumph of good over evil, and marks the defeat and death of the demon king Ravana in the epic Ramayana. Huge effigies of Ravana are burnt amidst the bangs and booms of firecrackers.

In northern India, especially in Varanasi, Dusshera overlaps with “Ramlila” or “Rama Drama” – traditional plays in which scenes from the epic saga of the mythical Rama-Ravana strife are enacted by professional troupes.

The Dusshera celebration of Mysore in southern India is a veritable extravaganza! Chamundi, a form of Durga, is the family deity of the Maharaja of Mysore. It’s a wonderful scene to watch the grand procession of elephants, horses and courtiers wending a circuitous way to the hilltop temple of Goddess Chamundi!

Durga PujaIn eastern India, especially in Bengal, the Durga Puja is the principal festival during Navratri. It is celebrated with gaiety and devotion through public ceremonies of “Sarbojanin Puja” or community worship. Huge decorative temporary structures called “pandals” are constructed to house these grand prayer services, followed by mass feeding, and cultural functions. The earthen icons of Goddess Durga, accompanied by those of Lakshmi, Saraswati, Ganesha and Kartikya, are taken out on the tenth day in a triumphal procession to the nearby river, where they are ceremonially immersed. Bengali ladies give an emotion-charged send-off to Durga amidst ululations and drumbeats. This marks the end of the goddess’ brief visit to the earth. As Durga leaves for Mount Kailash, the abode of her husband Shiva, it’s time for “Bijoya” or Vijayadashami, when people visit each other’s homes, hug each other and

exchange sweets.

Nava – that also means 'new' – denotes 'nine' the number to which sages attach special significance. Hence, we have Nava-ratri (9 nights), Nava-patrika (9 leaves / herbs / plants), Nava-graha (9 planets), and Nava-Durga (9 appelletions).

Here're the 9 manifestations of Goddess Durga. Each goddess has a different form and a special significance. Nava Durga, if worshipped with religious fervor, it is believed, lift the divine spirit in us and fill us with renewed happiness.

Following are the nine forms manifested by the Goddess Durga:

Shree Shaila Putri

Shree Brahmacharini

Shree Chandraghanta

Shree Kusmanda

Shree Skandamata

Shree Katyaa-yani

Shree Kaal Ratri

Shree Mahagauri

Shree Siddhidaatri

SKONDAMATA

KUSUMANDA

SHAILAPUTRI

She is the Goddess of Fire. She has four arms and three eyes. She rides a lion.

Seated on a lion, she has a magnanimous presence, and possesses eight arms. Her abode is the Solar region.

The embodiment of the power of Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva, she rides a bull and carries a trident and a lotus in her two hands.

KAALRATRI

BRAHMACHARINI

MAHA GAURI

This four-armed form rides an ass. She dissipates darkness from amidst her devotees, and bestows freedom from fear and adversity.

She is the one who practices devout austerity. Filled with bliss and happiness, she is the way to emancipation - Moksha.

She is like an eight-year-old girl. She is intelligent and peaceful, possesses three eyes and four arms, and uses the bull as her vehicle.

KATYAYANI

CHANDRAGHANTA

SIDDHIDATRI

The chosen goddess of Vrindavan, she is alluring in her golden form. She has four arms and three eyes, she is seated on a lion.

She is the apostle of bravery; she rides a lion, and has ten arms. She drives away all evildoers and demoniac incarnation.

The bestower of accomplishments, this manifestation is worshipped as one blessed with glory. Seated on a lotus, she has four arms

Godess Saraswathy:

The Goddess Saraswathi is worshipped as the Goddess of Learning, the deity of Gayathri, the fountain of fine arts and science, and the symbol of supreme vedantic knowledge. On the Durgashtami day ,a ceremony called Poojavaipu is performed in the evening in Kerala. In a village, generally, it is done only in certain households, in temples and also sometimes in the village schools. The Brahmin houses and the houses which enjoy reputation for learning, mainly take the lead in celebrating the festival. The members of other houses in the village attend the ceremony performed in these houses or institutions. In a well-decorated room, books and grandhas (holy books) are tastefully arranged with a picture or an image of Goddess Saraswathi in front. In certain poaches weapons and implements are kept by the side of books and garandhas. Then a Puja is performed to Saraswathi during which fruits, beaten rice, roasted

paddy (malar), jaggery etc, are offered to Her. These offerings are distributed among those present when the Puja is over. Just before the Pujavaipu, all studies and work which mainly require skill, are suspended. The following day is known as Mahanavami and it is totally devoted to the worship of Saraswathi. Pooja is performed both in the morning and in the evening. Many more items such as rice, payasam, thirali, etc are also offered to Devi.

The ten-day Saraswati festival, also known as Dussehra or Navaratri, is held September-October. It's celebrated throughout India but takes on special significance in Kerala. Young children are taken to The Goddess Saraswathi is worshipped as the Goddess of Learning, the deity of Gayathri, the fountain of fine arts and science, and the symbol of supreme vedantic knowledge. On the Durgashtami day ,a ceremony called Poojavaipu is performed in the evening in Kerala. In a village, generally, it is done only in certain households, in temples and also sometimes in the village schools. The Brahmin houses and the houses which enjoy reputation for learning, mainly take the lead in celebrating the festival. The members of other houses in the village attend

the ceremony performed in these houses or institutions. In a well-decorated room, books and grandhas (holy books) are tastefully arranged with a picture or an image of Goddess Saraswathi in front. In certain poaches weapons and implements are kept by the side of books and garandhas. Then a Puja is performed to Saraswathi during which fruits, beaten rice, roasted paddy (malar), jaggery etc, are offered to Her. These offerings are distributed among those present when the Puja is over. Just before the Pujavaipu, all studies and work which mainly require skill, are suspended. The following day is known as Mahanavami and it is totally devoted to the worship of Saraswathi. Pooja is performed both in the morning and in the evening. Many more items such as rice, payasam, thirali, etc are also offered to Devi.The ten-day Saraswati festival, also known as Dussehra or Navaratri, is held September-October. It's celebrated throughout India but takes on special

significance in Kerala. Young children are taken to the temples and, before an image of a goddess-celebrated in Kerala as Saraswati, the goddess of wisdom and learning-they are introduced to the letters of the alphabetthe temples and, before an image of a goddess-celebrated in Kerala as Saraswati, the goddess of wisdom and learning-they are introduced to the letters of the alphabet.

She has three forms vaagvaadini,vamakesi vimaanastha.

some say that she has three forms like gayathri, savithri and saraswathy.

Godess ganga has 16 forms and those forms are depicted in her sahsranama.

Pundits vary in their commentaries for this godess.

(Godess Ganga)

Her vahana is a crocodile!

Ganga holds a very prominent place in Indian culture, and is revered by indians and even foreigners alike. Ganges is known not simply as a river but symbolises the endevavour of mankind and is known as river of gods.

The holy anicient Hindu Scripture "MATSAYA PURAN". North of Kailash there is vast greenary area of "Haridnya Sharang", which produces vast variety of diseas curving herbs. A beautiful vast lake named "Bindusar". King BHAGIRATHI, on the shore of this lake, prayed for a long time to appease Godess Ganges for attainment of Salvation to his ancesstors. In Hindu mythology there is a popular belief that if the "ashes"(Urns) of the dead bodies are the immersed in river Ganges, the soul of the departeds are accessable to "Heaven". Conceeding to the prayer of king Bhagirathi,Godess Ganges desended from Heaven to earth, and flew form of river and thus providing salvation to the ancestors (Sixty thousands Sons of King Sagar) of Bhagirathi. When Ganga descended to earth Lord "Shiva" at that time was meditating at "Kailash". In the process, some

drops sprinkled on the forehead of Lord SHIVA, and this in furiated him, who in turn confined the Ganges under his huge "JATA". But being appeased by the meditation of Bhagirathi, Lord SHIVA, released the Ganges from his "JATA", thus allowing her to flow on the earth and thus providing Salvation to the ancestors of Bhagirathi.

Yours Yogically,

Shreeram Balijepalli

Hello,A message has been sent to the Rajarajeshwari_Kalpataru group fromgtbadman2001 The message summary:--------------------FROM: gtbadman2001 DATE: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 08:05:33 -0700 (PDT) SUBJECT: Re: [Rajarajeshwari_Kalpataru] Goddess Lakshmi : Description How many forms does Mother Lakshmi has? How many forms does Durga has? How many forms does Sarasvati has? how many formsdoes ganga has? please answer for i dont know much about the devi's thank you rishi --- devishakti_india wrote: > > > > LAKSHMI > > (THE GODDESS OF FORTUNE) > > > > > > --------------------A complete copy of this message has been attached for your convenience.This message requires your approval for one of the following

reasons:* Your group is set to moderate all messages from this user, OR* Your group is set to moderate messages from all usersTo approve or reject this messages using the web, please visit:Rajarajeshwari_Kalpataru/pending?view=1 & msg=706 To approve this message using email, reply to this message. You do not need to attach the original message, just reply and send.To reject this message using email, forward this message toRajarajeshwari_Kalpataru-reject-R4=4190BG2e5DfMif74pOek NOTE: The pending message will expire after 14 days. If you do not take action within that time, the pending message will be automaticallyrejected. does this to maintain a high quality ofservice for our users.Thank you for choosing .Regards, Customer Care