IndiaDivine.org

Sri Sooktham

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear Sir, Thankyou for your lavish praises. As I keep quoting Sigmund Frued here "Against abuse I have a defence but against praise I have none'' I will answer just one question of yours regarding Sri Sooktha. As I mentioned in one earlier posting, Iam hard pressed for time to give elaborate postings with images.However since I have an hour and a half to spare, I will do my best for you sir. Iam answering this because three other members have asked me this: Question: What is the

eligibility to chant Sri Sooktham? Prapanchasara, an authoritative text on Mantra Sastra, has prescribed certain procedure to be followed and also certain qualifications for the devotee desirous of doing the daily recitation of Sri Sukta.So my answer would be from that text only strictly. Before starting to recite Sri Sukta, the aspirant should first get initiated into into the Sri Mantra by a competent guru who is an expert in the knowledge of the principles of Mantra Sastra. Mantrashaastronvit Mantralakshmivit sidhhyathe'! Actually, there are many more Lakshmi mantras. As Kamala (Lakshmi) is also one of the deities of the ten Mahavidyas, she has a single syllabled mantra kleem. There is a peculiar mantra known as Kubera Dhanakarshana Lakshmi mantra.None of

these mantras will give any effect unless they are taken from a guru.Iam sure in all these Rajagopala Swami will help you out. After taking the Sri Mantra, the devotee should do the japa by repeating the mantra atleast 10008 times per day, all the while imagining mentally that the guru, Lakshmi and the mantra are all identical and one. Mantra Mantra Pursuha cha Mantralakshmee samanam Iti uuchihi. Some of the main qualifications prescribed for a person desirous of the grace of Goddess Lakshmi are listed below: He should be calm and collected, always

with a smiling face, talking sweetly, being the first to greet and talk (instead of waiting for the other man to greet and talk first).This is known as 'Lakshmi Chinha' He should be full of compassion toward the deserving, never remiss in his worship/hospitality towards his guru, deity, guest and the mystic fire (Agni).Fire might mean Aupasana(Tamils call it Avapasanam) or Agnihotra Homa with regular Sthali Homam if the former is adopted. In the abscence of this one can practice internal fire worship using Agni sooktham

and visualising a Golden fire with violet streaks inside one's heart and use mantras as the samit. Sadaacharapravarthinaha: He should have good conduct, accustomed to take bath daily, maintaining discipline, always habituated to take food facing the east and firmly adhering to the laws applicable to his caste(caste here means his natural mental incination ...in other words where he is 'cast' by parabrahmam)and station in life.

Kamayama:He should remain content with his own wife and moderate in food as well as speech. He should complete the japa of the Sri Mantra 12 lakh times and along with it all the 15 Rks of Sri Sukta should also be recited like a japa, with Rishi, chhandas and Devata for each Rk. Each of the hymns in Sri Sukta has different Rishi, chhandas and Devata. First Rk--Ananda Rishi, Anushtup chhandas and Sri Devata. Second Rk--Kardama Rishi, Anushtup chhandas and Agni Devata Third Rk--Chiklita Rishi, Anushtup chhandas and Agni Devata. There seems to be a lot of difference of opinion regarding the names of rishis and devatas. Somewhere it is mentioned that for the entire Sri Sukta, Hiranyagarbha is the rishi and Lakshmi is the devi. So one has to follow the tradition in his guru's lineage. It is specifically warned that one who does not instruct his

disciple in the relevant rishi, chhandas, etc., becomes a sinner('Pathitha' to be more exact). This then is prapanchasara for you. For those desirous of enjoy-ment in this world and liberation, the procedure as laid down in Bodhayana Sutra has been prescribed in the worship of Lakshmi through japa. Similar procedures have also been detailed in the Vasishtha Smriti, the Padma Purana and other similar texts, with certain variations. In all these cases one should follow his guru's tradition. Dhana magnir , dhanam vayur dhanam sooryor dhanam vasu,Dhanam indro

brahaspathir varuno dhanamasnuthe. (Sree Suktham verse22)It is by your grace Sridevi,That Fire is wealthy,Air is wealthy,Sun is wealthy,Ashta Vasus are wealthy,Indra is wealthy,Brahaspathi is wealthy,And Varuna is wealthy! Yours Yogically, Shreeram Balijepalli

Purity, Powers, Parabrahmam...

Click to join Rajarajeshwari_Kalpataru

Bring words and photos together (easily) with PhotoMail - it's free and works with Mail.