IndiaDivine.org

[Rajarajeshwari_Kalpataru] Upama-Sravastamam

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Excellent !!!

Wonderful explanation which comes exactly a day before chathurthi. Thank you.

Regards,

J.Sridhar

On 05 Mar 2007 17:03:22 -0800, Group Owner <para_anuloma wrote:

Dear Malolan,

Glad to note that you have started to liberally apply yourself to Ganapathy Atharvana Mantras and other vedic mantras. Iam aware that vaishnavas like you believe in the Vishwaksena aspect of Vishnu and ascribe it to Ganapathy status.

" Ganaanaam tvaa ganapatim havaamahe..... " is a popular hymn found both in the Rigveda and the Yajurveda. This mantra indicates that Ganapati is not only the head of the Ganas, but also of the Brahmas. The Ganapati Sooktas of Samaveda echo the same idea. In the Atharvana Veda, there is a separate Upanishad dedicated to Ganapati. It is called as Ganapati Atharva Sheersha Upanishad. There are nine other Upanishads such as Ganesha Poorva Taapini Upanishad, Uttara Taapini Upanishad etc. Vallabheshopanishat and Herambhopanishat are also available. In addition to these, there is Ganesha Geeta containing eleven chapters.

Whether a swan is seen or imagined, its image gets printed on the mind almost instantaneously and the mind experiences a specific vibration. This vibration will kindle the Shareeragni (Shareera - body, Agni - fire) present in the body. (Shareeragni, a Vedic terminology should be understood as physiological electric impulses). This Shareeragni will cause the bodily Vayu (air principle) to expand. It is an well-observed fact that air expands when heated. Because the Vayu present in the body is very subtle, the expansion brought about by Shareeragni will only be in the form of increased activity of Vayu. This activated Vayu will stimulate its close associate - the Prana Energy. Normally, the Prana Energy will be lying dormant in the Mooladhara Chakra.You must understand this too Malolan, as Ganapathy lies here(rather His shakthi immanent lies here)

When it is set to motion after being stimulated by the active Vayu, the bodily electric impulses will get transformed as potentially acoustic electric impulses. When these acoustic impulses - originating in the Mooladhara - traverse upward to the Vishuddha Chakra situated in the throat region, the physiological Vayu too will have reached there. They fuse together here and will impinge on specific sound producing spots and bring about sounds of different syllables. This is the scientific basis of the Shabdotpatti (mechanism of sound production) as explained by Bhagavan Panini in his treatise - Paanineeya Shikshaa. [some authorities consider Shareeragni to the Jaatharaagni (Jathara ñ stomach, Agni ñ fire) and declare that the origin of sound takes place in the Jathara. Their intention is to point out that when the impulse reaches the stomach area, it gets converted in to potentially acoustic energy form].

I would divide shareeraagni into different agnis for your understnading

1. Jataraagni2. Bhootaagni3. Atmaagni4. Ajnaagni.etc..

Now, coming to your query... The mantra says " Upamsravastamam "

What is Upama? Upameeyate anayaa iti Upamaa..My brother once heard this and laughed out aloud! I asked him why? He then ascribed this Upamaa to Upma!(a famous southindian dish).

It was not funny to me. I replied back, " It means " that by which something is approximated " and to approximate vedic knowledge to a mere upma shows that you lie at the other end of the spectrum of Lord Ganesha...Upama-adhastamam " .

He brushed it and say " You stay with these Upmas and Idlys, Vedas are not practical these days for brahmins like us. Let us go to America and then earn some money and then come back " . The funny thing is that he still is in India and Iam here!

What is Upamaa? Many Upamaas are given to describe the all-pervasiveness of the Lord,sun to describe the effulgence of the Lord and so on and soforth.These all also form part of Sruthi. Even Suhrudh my dear friend of whom you have been hearing oflate has lot of Upamaas for his girlfriend.(both positive and negative!)

By these Upamaas what is revealed is that there is no comparision for him. It should be noted here that inspite of all the Upamaas given to the lord by the shruthi, the Lord stands above it.Lord's glory is infinite.

He is upama-sravastama--The one who stands far beyond them. Some scholars construe the menaing for this word as --The one who is described by the best of Upamaas. Why is this said for Ganapathy?

This is interesting...to note. I keep getting some emails where praise for this undeserving person is rather lavish.What happens then? It creates a spandana as I read the lines and then there is a +ve Anubhoothi created...this can also be called " Falling to flattery " . Then, upon close self-introspection, I then remove the chaff and try to read between the lines.

But for Lord Ganapathy who is wisdom incarnate, such a word " Upama-sravastamam " has been given because He cannot be flattered at all. He does not need any Pratipaksha-Bhavana(discriminative and anti-thetical faculty) to remove any such flattery because anything which is said will fall short of what He actually is.

This word has to be understood in its totality but still Iam asnwering a part of it to impress the gravity of each word in Vedas and scriptures, nothing of which is put out of place by Rishis.

Valmiki in Ramayanam said " Raama-Ravanayor-Yuddham-Rama-Ravanayor-Yuddham-iva " --The Battle of Raama and Ravana was like the battle between Raama and Ravana. This seems strange, why did the seer use such words, this is because, he could not find a another parallel for such a puissant battle between the forces of evil and good.

So tommorow, if you want to please your boss in Cisco, you might say " Thomas-project-Thomas-project-iva " . Maybe, he won't like it as these days people hate themselves(Imbalance and lack of spiritual quotient)

When I mentioned supra, Lord Ganapathy does not need any flattery what I mean is.....well, let me use again a common-place example peppered with my usual toungue-in-cheek humour.(else, any teaching will have a sopoforic effect on the audience)

It is something like this, You have finished your Phd here at the USA and then if I come to you say " Great Malola! You are such a gem, you cleared your twelfth standard in honours ..... " and keep harping about your twelfth standard success which happened much before your Phd and your current wonderful job in Ohio...will you not think I have gone nuts?(some say Iam anyways, nevertheless).

But on the other hand, hypothetically assume, I was your dear friend who wrote the Board exam in Chennai along with you and then enetered into coma for many years and then meet you and congratulate you the first thing I get up from coma about your success of twelfth standard not knowing your current status. Then you will definitely commiserate with me and say gently " Shreeram, my dear Rip Van Winkle, Iam now a father of a child and am in America doing my job after a phD " . Maybe I will go into coma again!!!(Hahahaha.....I knew how you used to copy from me in the class exams...hahaha ; ))

Lord Ganapathy also addresses such a comatose situation in humans who are caught up in Mooladhara(his nivasa sthana). He very nature is transcendental,free from all attributes. Everything, Malolan, Shreeram and those who read this post...sarvam jagath..is just his manifestation.

Then one day when you really try to understand His Upama-sravastamam tatwa then He will come from His plane and say " Malola,my dear Rip Vna Winkle,...this is me " and maybe then you too might go into a coma of a different sort. Aspire for that " coma " dear friend, all what you are now in is a " coma " by itself....comatose people,comatose events,comatose prestige,comatose ego...rise up from this..use Vedas as a tool.Who cares about God these days Malolaa? ...Thus appreciating the essence of Ganapathy in the form of Parameshwara, Havaamahe',we worship!

Om gananam twa ganapatigm havamahekavinka vina mupamas ravastamamjyeshtharajam brahmanam brahmanaspataanah srinvan nutibhih sidasadanam

OM shanti shanti shanti

Yours yogically, Shreeram Balijepalli

Purity, Powers, Parabrahmam...

Click to join Rajarajeshwari_Kalpataru

We won't tell. Get more on shows you hate to love(and love to hate): TV's Guilty Pleasures list.