IndiaDivine.org

So many Dattatreya Jayanthis!--A Doubt and a comprehensive answer

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Dear Sudarshan, You asked me: When is Datta-Jayanthi, is it on Margashira Masa shuddha Pournami as is popularly known or is it truly Margashira Shuddha Chaturdashi? Please enlighten me knowledgable sir. Let me answer your question, to the best of my ability, in this forum directly as it is apt and might resolve the doubts of some members here too who might been hesitant to ask.Iam sure no other online or offline source has all the information presented below for the query, so please read carefully. If you consider this question in the context of the Shodasa-Avataras of Dattatreya(16 Descents of the Lord); the day when the Yoga-shakthi descended from "Divi"(Heavenly plane) to "Bhuvi"(Earthly plane) is Kartheekashuddha Pournami(For Yogiraja Prathama-Avatara). This then becomes the first Datta-Jayanthi!And then adding Jayanthas we get 16 Datta-Jayanthis. Not only can these 16 Datta-Jayanthis be reckoned but also the following is too reckoned as stated below.-- "Krithayuge' Madhavamasa Krishnapakshe' Dashamyaam"--In Krithayuga on a particular Vaishakhamasa,on a Bahuladashami and that too on a Thursday,The Lord Dattatreya was born is noted in one Shastra.Thus this day too can be considered a

Datta-jayanthi! Now the moot point here is if this is considered rejected or accepted as per Khagolaparinamasambandhitha vishayam(that which is ascribed to geo-chornological synchornicity) and thus among the 16 Avataras of Lord Dattatreya, the Prathama-avatara(first Avatara), Sri Yogiraja's star/asterism or as swayamdattaprabhu as in the third Avatara(if the appelative context is seen, then that becomes the Datta-Jayanthi) must be taken, yet we take only the two Avataradinas which you mentioned above-- 1. Kaalagni Shamana Avatara Dina. 2. Yogeejanavallabha Avatara Dina. Let us now mull what might be the intention of our seers to select only these two days... Now, Puranas say that Dattatreya was born (or held the avataric descent) on Margashira Pournami but yet other authoritative granthas also take the chaturdashi(14th lunar day of the waxing phase) also on a comparable stance.(One can see further details regarding this in Dattatreya

Tatwa Rahasyam). Those who belong to the school of considering Datatreya to be an independent numinosity and who has no relationship with the 16 Avataras which were formed as per His will later on consider Margashira Pournami as Dattajayanthi and the rest on Chaturdashi is what has been a more of the days. As per the shodasadattavatara tatwa both those days are Datta-jayanthis! Chaturdashi--when a Datta-mantra-sadhaka installs the Dattatreya mantra pinda(mantric matrix) into His swa-deha and then internalizes it into his sookshma-deha and then attaining fulfillment on Pournami by becoming a Yoga-Vajra-deha is what has been the intent. Always the law of intent is very powerful. That is why I say, "One man is enough to change the world". Archimedes said "Give me a lever long enough and I can lift the entire world" He was man of physical laws and says thus. Iam a man who believes in spiritual laws and I can say a modified quote "Give me an intent powerful enough and I can change the entire universe!" Once you understand the intent behind the Datta-jayanthi which is not a mere decorating Dattatreya Vigraha and doing a nominal puja to it and making a good feast in the name of Annadana but understanding the inner essence then all will be weal for you. (Mural of Atri Maharshi and trinity) This vishaya also tallies with Atri Maharshi obtaining Lord Datta as Ourasa(thats another story which I will elaborate later). Also, on a Pournami, Dattajayanthi is celebrated from a yogic angle because it is not just a chronological factor which is considered here as Avadhuthas dont have birth or death dates! It is the date on which datta-yoga shakthi comes down in abundance on earthlings like us. Also, many Avadhuthas and yogis like Mrigashira star and thus the pournami which is combined with that star becomes a Parvadina. Thus of all Datta-jayanthi which come, these two days which come in Margashira masa is of primary importance when it comes to yogic attainments and pleasing

Dattatreya. Thus not only these two days but also 16 more Datta-jayanthis are there and thus throughout the year, the celebration of divinity in the form of Dattatreya must be done.And during each such Jayanthi, each avatara gives a special power to the Datta-sadhaka. Sri Vasudevananda Saraswathy has also created for each such jayanthi a puja vidhanam and when these pujas are done, then one can really get not just Aihika sukhas(worldy joys) but also Yogananda(yogic bliss). But if you ask me--the moment you take a decision in your mind that you are going to tread the path of Lord Dattatreya come what may, whatever people around you might say or ridicule you, whatever

period you might be(Ghorakaliyuga-where murders,cheatings,rapes and crimes are rampant), whatever status or station of life you live in and your sole aim is to reach His feet and thus realize the Paramaatma which is sitting in a miniature form in you, that day is truly the real DATTA-JAYANTHI! Rest is just a preparation for such a day... for such a resolve! Let us meditate here.....and now.... Shunyaambara! Paahimaaham! Sampoornashunyaaa pahimaaam! Dattaavataaraa! Pahimaaam! Sampoorna Dattam! Paahimaaam! Jaya Jatile'shvara! Yours yogically, Shreeram Balijepalli

Purity, Powers, Parabrahmam...

Click to join Rajarajeshwari_Kalpataru

Be a better Globetrotter. Get better travel answers from someone who knows. Answers - Check it out.