IndiaDivine.org

Gathree Mantra

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Rajarajeshwari_Kalpataru , "joannapollner" <joannapollner wrote:>> Dear Shreeram > > Is Gayathree's tantric form Panchadasi / Shodasi ? > > > Namaste , Joanna>

-

Dear Joanna Ma,

Good question! Your guess is somewhat right! I think your question emnates from my statement that all Brahmins who practice Gayathri Mantra are Tantrics.Yes, all such dvijas(twice born) are shakthas since they chant the Gayathri.

The reference which can be had here for your pertinent query is Tripura Tapini Upanishad.

He or She Who repeats thus the fifteen-syllabled mantra of Tripura attains all desires; he/She attains all enjoyments; he/She conquers all worlds; he/she causes all words to bloom; he/she attains the status of Rudra; breaking through the abode of Vishnu (the veil of Maya), he/she reaches the supreme Brahman.(I-26:Tripura Tapini Upanishad)

Thus Tripura Tapini Upanishad establishes the equivalence of each Koota of Panchadashi mantra with the Gayathrimantra. Chanting the Panchadashi mantra once is equivalent to chanting the Gayathri mantra thrice. The aspirant who decides to take up this Upasana must be sincere, devoted, of good character, hailing from a good family, pure in mind, keen on attaining the Purusharthas.

I have had the great good fortune to study the rare text Saubhagya Bhaskara written in ancient Telugu and again rewritten with Telugu commentary by Noori Bhogeeshwara Sharma(the direct disciple of Chandavolu Shastry). Now,Saubhagya Bhaskara(commentary on Sri Lalitha Sahasranama Stotra), Sethubandha(commentary on Nityashodashikarnava of Vamakeshwara Tantra) and Varivasya Rahasya(with Bhaskararaya's own commentary named 'Prakasha' explaining the higher significance of internal worship of Srividya) are popularly called the Prasthana-Thraya(Triune authoritative primary sources) of the Srividya Marga. All the three penned by Bhaskararaya.These books also point out at the unity of Gayathri and Shodasi/Panchadasi.

Bhaskararaya

It would not be out of place to mention here that as per Tripura Mahimna Stotra Rahasyam, no other Mantra, other than Gayathri and its subtler forms (Panchadashi and Shodashi) are permitted to be called Vidya.Others are mere Mantras. This indeed is the only one qualified to be called Paraa Vidya or Brahma Vidya.

Panchadasi is also sometimes referred to as Yoga-Gayathri.

Gayathri is verily a Moksha Vidya considering all these aspects.

Jaya Shivanitambini!

Shreeram Balijepalli