IndiaDivine.org

ShashtiAapthaPoorthi & Satabhishekam--Part 1

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Srividya-Tantra , "Harekrishna SV" <harekrishnasv wrote:>> Shreeramji,> > I read the article written by you on Avani Avittam, and it's Vaidihic> Procedure which had enlightened people like me. I would be more than happy> if you could throw light on> > 1. Relevance of Shashtiaaptha Poorthi (Arupatham Kalyanam) & Kasi Yaathirai> 2. Why Shashtiaaptha Poorthi (Arupatham Kalyanam) has to be performed & Kasi> Yaathirai has to be undertaken.> 3. What are the other Vaidheegha Prayaschittha Karyams involved (as per> Shastra Krama) in ShashtiAaptha Poorthi & Kasi Yaathra.> 4. What are the benefits (Punya) of performing such Samskaaras ?> > My father is due for his ShashtiAaptha Poorthi next year, and We (myself and> my brothers) are wishing to celebrate it in a grand manner (in terms of> Vaidheeghic Activities like Vedic Chanting, Namasankeerthanam, etc.,). I> also pray Ambaal & Eshwaran to grant us the Praaptham & Praraaptham to be an> instrument for such Bhagavath Sankalpa Events.> > Request you to send us (Srividya-Tantra) a Detailed Write-Up on the above so> that we will use it as one of our guiding principle. I would humbly request> you not refuse, but request you to take your own time in responding> positively for the above. I account on your write up as one of the base> documents for performing such Samskaaras.> > Looking forward to hear from you positively.> > > Thanks & Regards,> > > Harekrishna S V>----------

Dear Harekrishnaji,

Your query is very interesting. I had performed "Satabhishekam" for my old parents in Rochester,NY,USA recently.

I'm happy that you want to celebrate Shastiabdhapoorthi as token of love toward your parents.The Tamil poet-saint Thiruvalluvar in Tirukkural, wrote:

"The gratefulness reciprocated by the son to his father should be expressed by others in such a manner that they say—what amount of penance he had done to get such a virtuous son!"

How happy the parents would be, when such children perform ritualistic functions in honour of their parents in grand Vedic style and reciprocate their sincerity and gratitude?

It is necessary that a pious and religious man performs the following Shantis during his life:

At the end of 54th year à Bheema Shanti

At the beginning of his 60th year à Ugraratha Shanti

At the end of his 60th year à Shashti Abda Poorti Shanti

At the beginning of 70th year à Bheemaratha Shanti

At the beginning of 72nd year à Ratha Shanti

At the end of 77th year à Vijaya Ratha Shanti

At the appropriate time after 80th year and after one thousand Chandra Darshanams à Satabhishekam (now the word is "sata" and not "shatha" as many people misquote. The former means "evenness" and the later means "hundred")

At the end of his centenary year "Kanakabhishekam"

These shanthis are prescribed for one to ward off illness and become strong and healthy at the old age. The shanties bring equilibrium and strength to their physical bodies and minds, so that they may be able to concentrate on meditation, turn towards godliness and attain esoteric consciousness.

Though Shantis at different stages are prescribed, we see that people generally perform Sashti Abda Poorti and Satabhishekam rituals.Some people celebrate Bheema shanty at 54 years and Kanakabhishekam at the centenary year too.

So, to answer your query regarding Sashti Abda Poorthi( Shashti = 6, Abda = decade, year,etc(various meanings), Poorthi= completion, Shanti= peace-giving ritual)

This is performed at the end of 60th year in one's life after fixing a proper muhurtha looking at the Jataka of both the partners(Muhurtha Jataka Reethi).

The following deities,great souls and Rihis are propitiated and worshipped:

1. Mrutyunjaya

2. Brahma Vishnu and Rudra

3. Markandeya

4. Navagrahas

5. Sapta Chiranjeevis

6. Ayur Devata

7. Samvatsara Devatas

8. Nakshatra Devatas

9. Ashtadikpalakas

10. Saptarishis

Next email posting, I will elaborate on the 10 mentioned above, then I would elaborate on 11 Mangala Dravyas used in the posting after that and the concept of Dasadana and Panchadana. I would also deal with some pointers of interest.

Let me digress here a bit to hone in a point,

The education which we get, thanks to the Whiteman, is purely left-brain oriented. The left hemisphere of the brain uses logic, language, mechanical,sequential,rational,intellectual,deductive,disciplining/analytic and motor.This is very inadequate. This leads to a lot of tensions at a personal and societal level too.The focus in Indian schools is no exception, especially in Andhra, where students from even a tender age are "oriented" toward competitive exams like "IIT JEE" or "EAMCET".Consequntely in a study done by educationalists the ability to draw stops by age ten! The soceity is also becoming more and more left-brained with increasing emphasis on computers and computer oriented knowledge which is perfectly the domain of the left-brain(unless it involves some CAD or design factors involved, even then full use is not fructified)

The right hemisphere is mostly neglected. Right brain deals with spatial,musical,holistic,artistic,symbolic,simultaneous,emotional,intuitive,inductive,imaginative/gestaltic,contemplative.

The realm of spiritual knowledge is closely connected to the right brain but it also a spiritual brain component, yet to be discovered by scientists.This domain is placed in an even rarified field and only a lucky few have access to it and use it fully.

{There is also the mid-brain portion wherein there is a "flight or flight response"(reptilian brain)}

Unless, all the hemispheres are put to use one cannot be happy and balanced.This is leading an intelligent life. Intelligence does not mean gaining a rank in IIT and finishing engineering.

I consider it a personal victory to be educated in a "decent school" like PSBB,Chennai and even get a rank in IIT JEE (and not joining IIT!) and yet develop my other hemispheres of my brain, thanks to my father(for whom I have conducted the Satabhishekam despite many monetary odds staying as a student in USA).

Each time I practice Tibetan Yogic exercises, Chi-kung or the Tai chi Chuan, I can actually feel a merger of my two brains. This cannot be explained in words.

The spiritual knowledge which we have in the form of Vedas and vedic samskaras if practiced properly will eliminate the problems and perils of India (and even the world at large) by ushering in a new peace and spiritual world order. Towards this end, these Vedic samskaras(starting from birth to death) help one to stabilize all hemispheres of the brain of both the people doing the samskaras and the people receiving it.

(To be continued...)

Yours Yogically,

Shreeram Balijepalli