IndiaDivine.org

Ardhameru Kshetram--Maangaadu Kamakshi Ambika trip--Part -1

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Dear All,

I went to Maangaadu Kamakshi Ambika Punyakshetram yesterday again after several years.The trip was arranged suddenly on an inspiration and everything went on well including a miracle in the temple due to Her divine grace.

This posting deals with my Yesterday's trip to the ancient temple and the Maangaadu Kamakshi Ambikaa Maahathmyam.

While travelling in the car, I saw the streets of Poonamalli as it called lined with photos of one lady-politician who celebrated recently her birthday.The streets were lined with her posters hailing her as even Goddess Kamakshi, much to my discomfort.

Infact, Poonamalli is also a corruption of the beautiful name "Poo-virundha-valli", which has an Amba-connection too.It is a town with rich cultural heritage and also coping up with the fast developments of the adjacent city.It comes under Thiruvallur District and has the Thaluka name too as Poonamalli.

The name 'Poovirundavalli" (or Poonamallee) may be attributed to the fact that the area around, is full of jasmine being cultivated extensively. Jasmine means ' Malli" in Tamil and hence, 'Poonamallee' may refer to the place where jasmine is cultivated. In Sanskrit, the place is called Pushpakavalli. Pushpam' means flower and Valli denotes Goddess. There is a legend that Goddess Laxmi rose from jasmine flower and gave darashan to Thirukatchi Nambi Alwar(who was born in this place). It is also said the Alwar worshipped God Varadaraja, deity at Kanchi with the jasmine flowers plucked from here. This place is also called "Lakshmipuram' and Ulagu Vuyya Konda Cholapuram.

However, Maangaadu is in Kanchipuram district.

We got down the car when we reached the temple.It seemed all of a sudden, there was a small right lane which took us to a simple temple. My wife saw some jasmine flowers and I smiled recollecting what I had thought of in the car.

I bought her those beautiful flowers, which still bore a fresh smell despite the heat and torrid noon sun blazing above our heads.Two small peices of the flower garland adorned my two babies too, as maybe they took a liking to the flowers divinely!

One advantage of being in India is visiting many Punya Kshetras and spiritual havens.I see this as the primary advantage of being in India physically.This is especially an accentuated if one is in Southindia with a surfiet of ancient temples.Many temples I know in Southindia are thousands of years old.Some have even ben carbon dated to the befuddlement of scientists to originate at the time of formation of the exterior crust of Earth!!(Ex: Arunachaleshwara Hill and some portions of the temple).This lends credibility to Shastras and Sthalapuranas which quote the temples as being existent from the inchoatory time of creation.

Neverminding all this genesis theories, my trip to Maangaadu was rather pleaseant.Both my babies were well-behaved.We had the luxury of an airconditioned car luckily by the grace of Amba in the last minute.The trip was quickly conceived,thought of,planned and without delay attended to.'Alasyam Arutham Visham' as the Devabhasha-quip goes.

Puranas have it that Lord Shiva is in an eternal sport with His creation, to impart certain Adhyathmic truths.These Leelas are called by Tamils as "Thiruvilayaadalgal''(Thiru=Shree and Vilayaadalgal =sports).

This particular divine incident which happened in Maangaadu had Devi, His own shakthi embroiled in the 'Thiruvilayaadal'. Lord Shiva was meditating deeply in Kailasha.Goddess Devi in a playful mood closed the eyes of Lord Shiva. Immediately it is said that the whole creation fell into eternal darkness.Shiva Yogis and Rishis saw the darkness and some felt fear thinking that Pralaya(final dissolution/Annihilation) had started.Such was their fear and anguish and their penance for Universal peace was disturbed.Lord Siva being etherically and universally connected to all sentient and insentient beings had what can be called a connective effect to effect such a phenomenon, which is definitely beyond the ken of modern day scientists.

They say Siddhas have "Kshana Kopam and Kshana Tapam" meaning, they get angry suddenly and they enter into Penance mode suddenly.

Shiva being the greatest Siddha showed His ire against His own Devi as a knee jerk reaction by cursing Her to be born of a black skin in Maangadu(Mango Grove) as a playful Humanbeing.This is because this incident took place in one such celestial grove in Kailasha.

Black skin colour in this case being sanketha(representative) of the darkness she threw the universe into.

Goddess then craved Siva's pardon.

Lord Siva promised Goddess that if She performed penance He would reunite with Her.

Goddess came and started her severe penance in Maangaadu.Despite severe penance, Lord did not show up!

Her love and devotion for Her lord made her perform even more austerely.She lit five fire pots(Panchaagni Kundam), resting the left leg on one such agni-kundam,folding the right leg to her chest,Her left hand is raised above her head, holding a japamala, She did Her penance-of-reunification.

This can be seen in this Mangadu Temple as Tapas Kamakshi to the right of the main entrance of the Garbhagruha(Karuvarai)/Sanctum sanctorum.

What happened next, will be revealed by me in the next part, please wait.

Yours Yogically,

Shreeram Balijepalli

Hreem Rajarajeshwari Paradevatha!

Purity, Powers, Parabrahmam...

Click to join Rajarajeshwari_Kalpataru