IndiaDivine.org

Soham Query

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Shreeramji,

do u know how to do soham meditation? I came across it in few online sites and want to do it. I have one doubt.Is it So for inhalation and then Hummm for exhalation or viceversa?

<Rest of the e-mail undisclosed>

P

Dear P,

Some like Lahiri Mahasaya of the Kriya Yoga say it is Hum for inhalation and So for exhalation,where the Naathapanthis of the Gorakshanatha community and also Gorkkar Tamil siddha pantheon insist the reverse.

I learnt the Ajapa meditation you say keeping Swarodaya(Shiva Swarodaya) under one aged practitioner.Please do not attempt this meditation on your own as it requires guidance involving energy displacement and circulation from the Naabhi Chakra(Lower Dan Tian) to other energy field-chakras.

I also learnt under(from 1990 to 98) Master Chian Teik and Swami Ebinnatha a similar Taoist meditations and Reiki,which of course need not be mentioned here but the point is the involvement of the lower Tantien point.

Since I lean on Shivaswarodaya, I use So for inhalation and Humm for exhalation.Also, it depends on under whom you learn(Saampradayabaddha).I used Swara Yoga Paddhathi which I learnt from a Tamil brahmin Yogi in Tnagar(anonymity sought here) and so it coincided with the Swara Pramanam of Shivaswarodayam.

Im puzzled by some who do ajapa as "Sohum haum hamsah:" It is a mantra,Im aware of that, but I really do not know how they co-ordinate with the inspiration and expiration sequence! Maybe Im a real ignoramus here and there might be some Sampradaya wherein such practices have Pramaana.Im content with my Srividya practice and have learnt certain things only for some relevant purposes.

Ultimately it not really relevant whether you start this way or that way because they both dissolve and it becomes a singular Ajapa, then you have achieved something (without really trying).

Its an ocean out there and one must become enlightened at the feet of one's master to absorb the entire ocean in one go!

The second Master taught me to convert the nostril breath to spinal breath and also demonstrated a bit of "showmanship" before me with a miracle of sorts and emnating fragrances from his body and stuff.I have never seen such feats before, though not personally willing to spend too much time on such gimmicks,but nevertheless, learnt certain things from Him too.He insists on the composite nature of the breath,conscious mind converting into a "massical energy"(sic) and transmuting inner base metal.(Taoist alchemy)

Before you start such practices you have to cleanse yourself of karmic debris,say by Vrunthaaka varna aagni visualization(picked up by Elizabeth Prophet and turned into Violet fire movement!)Violet fire on the Hara centre in the body will prove to be beneficial here.In other words Naadishodhana is a must.I was subjected to a year of this cleansing act despite my earlier rigours and meditations before I was inducted into this advanced practice.(Each time Im "instructed" to reply to some query it is usually meant for some other reader than the queriest.This has been my intuitive observation over the few years of running these 2 groups.Im a fool of the first order and thus do not know Paraambika's ways.)

I find heavy mass of karmic debris even from previous births lifting off whenever I engage in these practices.So, it is powerful and requires the guidance of a good Master.

Also, reading mere online websites information and starting anything is not a prudent thing to do.

If you have a good master you will never have such a doubt(as in "So" is the inhalation mode or the exhalation mode).Also you must know through qigong (which I learnt from my Taosit Masters) how to open the Lower Dan Tien and then proceed to send,regulate and circulate the Chi.Without having diaphramatic experience(the diaphram muscle spiritual art) it would be difficult to sustain Soham meditation and actualize the results.

Im also surprised to see Trataka visualization Youtube videos by some "Swamiji" while Soham is being practiced(with ofcourse a hefty charge for the course), it is really beyond my wits to see how so many ways to defraud people exist in this world and gain some moolah!

Sohum is a tool which is a 'no-tooler' as in releasing the sadhaka from the feeling of actually "meditating",because the first hindrance to meditation is the feeling of "meditating" and Trataka distracts and frustrates this very purpose!

"Running fast behind Lord VishnuTo enquire as to what has happened;But, she was not sure, whetherHe would reply; anxious and confused,Her locks of hair loosening while runningUnable to catch up with HimShe sat down dumb-founded"

(Pothana,Telugu Kavi on Goddess Lakshmi's condition.What is the esoteric meaning of this? Is Lakshmi the breath? Is Lord Vishnu the Mahaaprana/Paramam? Is Gajendra the inherent ego in us, now wailing in the corcodile's? And is the breath's "material massical energy" trying in vain to prevent the ego from transmuting and dissolving in the Mahaapraana?.Think over, I have given you some homework! or Maybe Im kidding! Nevermind!)

Shreeram Balijepalli

Hreem Rajarajeshwari Paradevatha!