IndiaDivine.org

siddhi-vinAyaka pUjA(vinAyaka chathurthI pUjA)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear All,

I know all sad-bhakthAs are interested in celebrating the vinAyaka chathuthI pUjA.

I'm not going to broach on the pUjA details much as you must have read it and its efficacy a great deal in other books and websites.

There is one interesting component called ekavims'athI(21)patra pUjA which piqued my interest recently.

The medley of 21 leaves used for the patrapUjA has a medicinal siginificance. All the twenty one leaves, have different medicinal values as per ayurvedA.

In India, in many ayurvedic plantations these mUlika vrukshAs are grown. Location of these plants in the forests lands is very important for any house-hold man, as he might need it to cure various common diseases/infections like cold, fever, diarrhea, etc. during the following winter.Almost all ingriedients used are best for the current Swine flu disease(Arya Samajists are of the view that Swine flu is described in Rg Veda as kushta jvarA and that there is a herb to cure it specifically and that one havana(sacrificial fire0 would appease the emobdied elemental of the disease)

The time when Vinayaka Chathurthy is celebrated is exactly one month after the start of "Dakshinayanam" or the dark phase of the earth, which is associated with rain, winter & darkness. During this time our body would be susceptible to various infections or diseases.

Locating all these medicinal plants/ leaves would be helpful to cure the diseases instantaneously.

In these days English medicine has become more popular. The siginificance or Ayurve'dA or siddha vAidyA medicines are now looked down upon or taken with askance.

All the 21 leaves are associated with the curing of a specific disease & prove to be very effective for increasing longevity.

Our ancestors were very intuitive people & they have made religion & religious observances nothing different from science & medicine.Maybe you can Google out the below names(scientific names) and find out more about these 'ganes'A herbs'.

Plants used in Ganesh Pooja

No Sanskrit Scientific name Usage

names

1. Machi -Artemisia vulgaris Linn. Anthelmintic, asthma, antiseptic, tonic

2. Brahati -Solanum indicum Linn. Expectorant, carminative. Ingredient of Dasmoola

3. Bilva- Aegle marmelos Correa ex Koen. Astringent, digestive, diarrhoea, dysentery, cooling

4. Doorva- Cynodon dactylon Pers. Diuretic, bleeding, piles, cuts & wounds

5. Datoora- Datura metel Linn. Narcotic, antispasmodic, skin diseases

6. Badari- Zizyphus jujuba Lam. Cooling, tonic, anti emetic, diarrhoea

7. Apamarga- Achyranthes aspera Linn. Diuretic in renal dropsies, piles, boils, skin eruptions

8. Tulasi- Ocimum sanctum Linn. Expectorant, antiseptic, urinary disorders, insect bites

9. Choota- Mangifera indica Linn. Laxative, diuretic, astringent, tonic

10. Karveera- Nerium indicum Mill. Skin diseases, cardiac tonic

11. Vishnukranti- Evolvulus alsinoides Linn. Tonic, febrifuge, vermifuge

12. Dadima- Punica granatum Linn. Diarrhoea, dysentery, anthelmintic in tapeworm

13. Devdaru- Cedrus deodora (Roxb.) Loud. Diuretic, carminative, fever, urinary disorders,

piles, skin diseases.

14. Maruvaka- Majorana hortensis Moench. Carminative, expectorant, colic, sprains

15. Sindhuvara- Vitex negundo Linn. Rheumatism, headache, cold swelling,

joint pains, ulcers, diarrhoea, dysentry

16. Jaji- Jasminum sambac (Linn.) Ait. Cooling, ulcers

17. Ganaki- Solanum nigrum Linn. Skin diseases, eye diseases, cirrhosis of

liver, piles, heart diseases, fever, diarrhoea

18. Shami- Acacia ferruginea DC Astringent, cough, demulcent, nutrient

19. Ashwattha- Ficus religiosa Linn. Astringent, laxative, cooling, scabies

20. Arjuna- Terminalia arjuna W. & A. Cardiac tonic, antidote to poisons, earache

21. Arka -Calotropis gigantea (Linn.) Dysentery, elephantiasis, fever, cough, cold

R. Br. ex Ait. asthma

In Bhavishya Purana, four more leaves are mentioned for Patra puja.

brungarAjA,mala,kethakI and agasthyA.

It was an interesting exercise for me aided easily by one herbalist friend(Ayurvedic shop owner) of mine ot ferret out these leaves for me.I could collect Thulasi,vilvA,rAvi,arkA patrAs easily apart from mango leaves but the rest had to be got by him.

siddhI Ganes'A would be pleased this year even more in my home, I guess!

jaya vighnasthArinI!

Shreeram Balijepalli

Hreem Rajarajeshwari Paradevatha!