IndiaDivine.org

urvArukamiva banDhanAth(An old e-mail)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Pranaamam Sreeramagaru,

Mahamrityunjaya Mantra given by Vh.sir is as follows :

Om Jum Sa: triyambakam yajAmahe sughandhim pushti vardhanam oorvaruha miva bandhanAd (first da, the da as in "daya") mrityOr mukshiya mAmmrutat Sa: Jum Om

(Please tell me whether it is correct?)

-----------------

You were right on your views regarding Narayana / Vishnu Mantras, as when I did it earnestly for a month, there was this detached feeling and I was not able to concentrate on my job at all.

Thank you very much for opening my eyes.

And thank you very much for the post on Mantra Sadhana too.

Again I am not blaming anyone, but with regards to Mrityunjaya Mantra too Vh. sir had adviced me to do 32k, thats all, when I asked him about Sankalpa and systematic approach, he always said its upto me to choose, the only nibhandhana being to complete 32k!

So I ended up doing 5 malas 0f 108 on certain days and on certain days a single mala of 108 on certail days and when I was travelling it was quite far and wide and I had to skip few days without chanting the mantra. Somehow my only intention was to complete chanting!

When I enquired from him he often adviced me to just concentrate of the number of japa which was 32k and that you can begin the count from where one had left without any problem!

You were always right brother Sreeram, always right!

Do you think I should continue the Mrityunjaya Mantra and Narayana Mantras given by Vh. Sir?

Only reply whenever you get free time!

In one of these days can I come and meet you in Chennai?

May Amma bless you with Her Radiance!

V

------------------------

Dear V,

mruthyunjaya manthrA is as follows:

Unless, Vh. has manthrAdhikArA he cannot omit any syllable and dole it out.Infact, he even needs manthrAdhikArathwA to even initiate anyone in the first place.

Since, it is a prasidDHa manthrA,let me type out the correct format of mruthyunjaya manthrA(there are advanced variations too)

II Om hAum jUm saha: thrayambakam(thri=3 and ambakA=eye) yajA mahe' sugandDHim pushTi vardDHanam urvArukamivabandhanAn(urvArukam=Muskmelon+iva=thus+bandhanAth)mryuthyOr mukshIya mAmruthAth saha: jUm hAum Om svAhA II

Yes, tamizhAs(who are not proficient in samskruthA) spell "ka" as "ha" and thus lot of confusion is there currently because of a single syllable.This is the mistake of this person Vh.

How so?

urvArukA means Muskmelon

And urvAru means Cucumber.

(There is also a coded meaning here wherein ambakA also means the "cake" used in hOmAs and yajAmahe' means"I do the yajnA thus...with the cake.."However, such indepth analysis is not needed for now)

Thus many ignorant people in websites have published the meaning as cucumber which is wrong.

I don't want to go bashing them openly as I might be misconstrued as bigoted and totally puritanical.

Look above Muskmelon(urvArukA) sits like that above ground after ripening.

Muskmelon is an accessory fruit(also called false fruit,spurious fruit,pseudocarp).

Technically called epigynous berry.

Now, the above is a Cucumber(or urvAru)

Now, this is of the same genus of the muskmelon but is classified as a gourd.

Now, why am I nitpicky here? Why not just 'getalong' with urvAru or the meaning of Cucumber?

When the rishI enunciated the manthrA,he intents every single word to have an import and an inner significance.

One site below gives the meaning thus:

Look at my corrections/comments in brackets made in surf-blue colour.

http://www.indif.com/nri/mantras/mahamrityunjayamantra.asp

(The above manthrA in devanAgirI script has a small error in omitting "S" between mA and mruthAth to indicate an "a" sound)

OM. We worship and adore you, O three-eyed one, O Shiva. You are sweet gladness, the fragrance of life, who nourishes us, restores our health, and causes us to thrive. As, in due time, the stem of the cucumber weakens, and the gourd if freed from the vine, so free us from attachment and death, and do not withhold immortality.

OM

Almighty God (pranavA jIvA to be technically precise and to scribe its meaning would be really impossible unless one experiences it like a rishI)

Tryambakam

Three-eyed

Yajamahe

We worship, adore, honor, revere(Whom we perform a yagnA."yajA" means sacrificial fire.s'ivA-the three-eyed is the object of sacrificial fire.It means both external and internal yagnA)

Sugandhim

sweet fragrance(Divine Fragrance of the sandalwood(s'rI-gandDHA)--which inculcates divya bhAvAs in a person)

Pushti

A well-nourished condition, thriving, prosperous, full, and complete(Here it means specifically a "round shape" (indicating beforehand a Muskmelon)

Vardhanam

One who nourishes, strengthens, causes to increase (in health, wealth, well-being); who gladdens, exhilarates, and restores health; a good gardener(Here specifically s'ivA is invoked as a "good gardner" muchakin to Jesus being referred to as the Good shepherd by Chrisitians.vardhanA means here to 'garden-grow')

Urvarukam

disease, attachment, obstacles in life, and resulting depression(I think the translator needs a basic course in samskruthA.urvArukA or urvArukam means Muskmelon and that is what is specifically meant here to go in consonance with the above meanings.If he claims urvArukA to be an obstacle then wherefrom in his translated cometh a "cucumber"?.This itself clearly shows by way of thArkikA proof that he/she does not know the meaning.Another of such kaliyugA websites,meant for profit and pelf)

Iva

Like, just as(Thus)

Bandhanan

Stem (of the gourd); but more generally, unhealthy attachment(bandhanAn=tied to something(many type it as bandhanAth but it is bandhanAn gramatically.The Vedic seer is afterall no ignoramus as far as samskruthA,vyAkaranA,or kavithwA is concerned!Here it means tethered to something.If bandhanAth is used then it can mean some humanbeing too by way of chains but here Muskmelonlike animal (which is the sAdhakA) is inferred and thus tethered is used as the word 'tethered' is used for animals mainly.The sAdhakA is neither an animal nor a full human;neither divine nor a family man in this state of bandhanAn)

Mrityor

From death

Mukshiya

Free us, liberate us

Ma

not(It is "do not"--"mA" is emphatic and double-negative syllable/word in samskruthA and it means "do not".e.g: "mA kuru dhana jana yOVanNa garvam")Here you implode rather pitiously "please do not","please do not",etc to s'ivA)

Amritat

Immortality, emancipation(the state of deathlessness-which means samAdhI which only s'ivA or s'aktHi is capable of giving in a paripUrnAyOgAvasthA form)

Why did the Vedic seer choose a Muskmelon? over a Cucumber or say a Water Melon?

Cucumber is not exactly sweet.It is insipid with a 'watery taste" and is cut unripe as it loses its taste when it becomes overly ripe.It is a thirst quencher,no doubt.The seer wanted a representation which is a fruit which is ripe not a gourd which is unripe('a greenhorn').Also the shape of a cucumber suggests a human phallus(penis),which is not in probity with the current manthrA which is of a sathvA-genus.

A ripe fruit falls to the ground normally and this is not considered auspicious too.Instead a magnificient visualization of a ripe Muskmelon in all its auspiciousness is visualized here.

Watermelon is sweet and it could have been used.The precise word for Watermelon is kAlingnA.There are many varieties too in this.

It is sweet,it is a Berry fruit kind,though because of its looks and its name it is considered a Melon.

Now,a "fruit" does not need spiritually a salvation or have a desire for emancipation or samAdhi.A samAdhigathA is already a fruit(gnAna-phalA).Also, the fruit is "red" indicating a sense of rajO gunA and thus not proper for this sathvA manthrA.

So, the seer uses the fruit Muskmelon.

Muskmelon is named thus because, like the Muskdeer,it carries a faint and pleaseant scent,which perhaps even the fruit does not know!(We do not know what we are worth or the sancitity of our AthmA)

It is a "false fruit"(though laden with manthrAs and mystical powers, a sAdhakA becomes paripakvA only when cut/sundered from all tethers.Till then he is a false fruit, an epigynous berry and yet a fruit in the making).

Muskmelon has a yellow interior and yellow is the colour of the bruhaspathI grahA(guru grahA) and thus he is sweet with the wisdom of his guru which he has imbibed into him and waiting for the gardner sadAs'ivA to cut him from his tethers which tie him,though artificially.

Also, the interior flesh(his wisdom) is most auspicious and sweet,sublime and not too cloyed(like the Muskmelon,unlike its sweeter and cloyed counterpart,Watermelon).It too satisfies one's thirst(for knowledge) and also cools one's body in summer(heat of passions and lower gunAs cooled in the presence of such a sAdhakA).

Also, how does it become a fruit?--Without the effort of the gardner(s'ivA).The moment the time comes and it becomes ripe,the vine to which it is attached automatically cuts off and the "pushtI-phalA"(round fruit in a literal sense but wisdomladen paripUrna fruit in a metaphorical sense) is there waiting to be picked by the gardner in an unobstrusive and sAthvic way.(Cucumber needs cutting or sundering from its vine a bit).

This is how great even in this small two line verse,such depth of meaning is inculcated in a poetic,symbolic and deeply spiritual way by the Vedic seer,seeing to it that the manthrA vibrations are not altered in any matter and is in consonance with the cChandas.(Cymatically speaking a mAthrical aurA is created.)

So, now you know the bane of websites,their manthrAs and their interpretations and the need of a guru.And also be wary of such online initiations of manthrAs.

Hope the manthrA and the thAthparyA is clear now.

-

The following was posted by me longtime ago and it was taken by some astrologers and put in their websites(without quoting any credits) and quoted some other source.And I was surprised to see the same article in StarTeller by some "Dr.".(The world is round they say! My words come back to me!*sigh*I do not know when the day will dawn when my own book is published!:

-------:

anushTup cCHandas has four padhAs (feet) of 8 phonemes each making the entire Anusthub metre as composed of 32 (8 x 4 = 32) syllables. It maybe noted that any change in the metre shall cause a distortion in the channdah and the mantra vibration shall be ruined. Thus Vh. is asking you to chant 32,000 times.

However, if you count the syllables of the manthrA and then do an akshara lakshA(100,000 per syllable),then you get manthra sidDHi normally for any manthrA.Some prescribe more or less depending on the pramAnA.

The bIjAs were framed for this manthrA by kahOla rishI and not s'ukrAcharyA as many think.s'ukrAcharyA no doubt obtained it from Lord s'ivA.

This mantra is addressed to Lord Shiva and is taught in the Rig Veda (7 mandala 59 Chapter) as well as the Yajur Veda (3-60) showing that it is a Sruti having been received by Maharishi Vasistha, the Kula Guru of Bhagavan Sri Ramachandra.

This mahA-mrithyunjayA mantra is from the rig-ve'dhA (7th Book or MandalA, 59 Chapter) and needs initiation for attaining siddhi. Anybody can recite this mantra and attain good health, release from bondage and other problems. This is the greatest panacea for all evils and can be recited at any time like any other Maha-mantra.Online deekshAs won't do,eventhough the manthrA is spewed online in different forms(oft-times erroneous).

The Mahamrityunjaya mantra was taught by Lord Shiva to Sukracharya the preceptor of the demons after he succeeded in the impossible test of hanging upside down from a tree for twenty years (Vimsottari dasa period) with smoke blowing into him from a fire lit beneath. Even Brihaspati was shocked at the prospect of such a terrible penance and calmly settled to observe Sukracharya accept the challenge of Indra and succeed.

thapasvI yOgA definition: Since s'ukrAchAryA (Venus in astrology) passed the penance he was glorified as the thapasvI rAjA (the king of the spiritual discipline and penance). The definition of Tapaswi Yoga comes from this penance as Saturn (punishment, hard toil), Ketu (smoke blown into the nose and other forms of self inflicted torture) and Venus (desire and its renunciation) must come together to define the personal ability of the Tapaswi.

After the penance Lord Shiva taught the Mahamrityunjaya mantra to Sukracharya, who under very compelling circumstances had to teach this to the son of Brihaspati and that is how the devas also got the mantra. This manthrA was given (s'ruti) to vas'isTa Maharishi for the welfare of this world. The manthrA and explanation given by Sukracharya to Rishi Dadhicha when the latter's body was cut and thrown by Raja Kshuva is recorded in the Shiva Purana.

Sukracharya said "O! Dadhicha, I pray to Lord Shiva and give you the upadesa (advise/wisdom/teaching) of the highest Maha Mrityunjaya mantra." The mantra is in Anusthub Channdah and accordingly, is divided into four padas composed of eight syllables each.

Sukracharya said "The first pada is and means - we worship or sing the praise of Lord Trayambaka. Tryambaka is the name of Lord Shiva as the father of the three worlds - bhu, bhuva and svarga lokas. He is the father and lord of the three mandala's - Surya, Soma and Agni mandala. He is Maheswara, the lord of the three Guna's - Satva, Rajas and Tamas. He is the Sadashiva, the teacher of the three tatvas - Atma tatva, Vidya tatva and Shiva tatva. He is the father (cause and source) of the three energies (agni) - Aavahaniya, Garhapatya and Dakshinagni. He is the father of all physical creation through the three murti bhuta - Prithvi (solid), Jala (liquid) and Tejas or agni (energy). He is the lord of the three heavens created by the dominance of the three Gunas - Rajas (Brahma), Satva (Vishnu) and Tamas (Shiva). Know Him to be the nirakara (formless) Sadashiva as He is above this physical mode and is their Maheswara. This is the first foot of the mantra (composed of eight syllables)."

"The second pada of the mantra," continued Sukracharya, "is .

Sugandhim refers to the fragrance of the sandalwood akin to a fragrant flower that spreads in all directions, and in a similar way Shiva is present in the entire creation, both animate and inanimate. In all the bhutas (modes of existence), in the three Gunas (nature of creation as being Satva, Rajas or Tamas), in the ten indriyas (five gyana-indriyas or senses and five karma-indriyas or organs of action), in all the devas (33 devas are the source of all illumination and enlightenment) and the ganas (hosts of demi-gods), Shiva exists and pervades as the illumine atma (soul) and is their essence. Pustivardhanam is now being explained. That inward dwelling spirit (atman), the Purusha Shiva is the real sustainer of Prakriti (and not vice-versa as all people perceive). Starting with the mahatatva (primordial state of matter/energy) to the individual parts of creation, the entire sustenance of the physically created beings (both animate and inanimate) is done by the imperishable Purusha. You, I, Brahma, Vishnu, the Munis and even Indra & devas are maintained/sustained (by the atma and that is Him). Since the Purusha (atma - Shiva) is the granter of sustenance to prakriti (body/nature), he is 'Pusti-vardhana'."

Having explained the first two pada of the mantra, Sukracharya continued to explain the remaining two pada. He said " the next two pada (consisting of sixteen syllables) is meaning - Prabhu! just as the ripe muskmelon is severed from the bondage of the creeper, in the same manner may we be delivered from death for the sake of immortality (moksha). Rudra deva is like amrita (nectar of immortality). Those who worship Him with good karma, penance and repentance, meditation, contemplation, prayer or praise, will surely renewed life and vigor. The strength of truth force (in this mantra) is such that Lord s'ivA shall definitely free the worshipper from the bondage of death because s'ivA alone is the giver of bondage and moksha.

This is the mrithasanjIvanI manthrA and has the power to give back life and rescue from death and great evils. You should adore Lord s'ivA and recite this manthrA. Water sanctified with this manthrA should be drunk all the time.

It is well known that the rudraksha bead is placed in a glass of water after being held in the palm during the recitation of the mantra, this water when drunk during the day confers all merits ofpunyA and keeps one absolutely healthy.The bead should not be worn and should be kept in a holy place after and before this small kriyA which can be tried by the manthrOpAsakAs.

Oblations in the sacrificial fire with this mantra is very purifying. Now I shall teach the dhyana for the mantra." Saying so, Sukracharya started reciting the shlokas for meditating on Lord Shiva.

------------

Now, the website says urvArukA means diseases,obstructions,etc instead of muskmelon.Obviously some small study has been made from some philosophical text without knowing the basic meaning.

urvA means big in samskruthA

urUkA means deadly disease.

That is why the manthrAkarthA used intelligently the word "urvArukA" to mean a Muskmelon.There is one more bIjA which is added too and that is again in the domain of your Guru.

s'ivAs'AnkarI,

Shreeram Balijepalli