IndiaDivine.org

A visit to see Mother Ganga

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Note: forwarded message attached.

To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Security Centre.

Hi friends

just wanted to tell you my experience when I visited River Ganga

The Holy Mother Ganga

River Ganga is considered a very sacred river. Every Hindu believes that a holy dip in this river will purify the body & soul of any individual irrespective of color, religion, sex, profession. It is believed that one can be forgiven for all the sin he\she has committed by just bathing in this river. I have read & seen on TV about the story how river ganga came on earth. It is believed that Mother Ganga is a devi (datie). And she was invited from heaven to earth by Bhagirath. Bhagiratha was a King who wanted his brothers sins to be forgiven. Its a long story lets not go into that.

Lets talk about the present. Well even I decided to go there and meet mother ganga. Unfortunately I was unable to get leave from office. But when I got leave no one from my friends or family had time to go with me. I think that was also the will of God. Well, its just 3-4 hours journey for haridwar from Delhi. Haridwar is the main place where people go to have a holy dip in the river. I went to the bus station, took a Rs. 100 ticket & was on the way with a small bag, mobile, digital camera, cash, pen, diary and hope. I went there, I was searching mountains, greenery, peace. But I was totally disappointed. There were no mountain, no peace. I thought I am in a market. A big long and peaceless market. Lot of veicheles, pollution etc. I took a rikshwa and asked the man to take me to a hotel near the river, away from the crowd. He used to stop at some hotels, I used to say no , go more further. And in the end I went to a place called(Har ki Podi). When I went to a Hotel, he said we only give rooms to families, couples. Not to individual. I said OK, I went to another one. He asked for the proof of my identity, luckily I had my driving licence with me so I was able to get a room, but there were no single bedroom . So I had to stay in a double bedroom flat. Well it was cheap, just Rs. 250 for one day. It was about 6 PM. I became fresh and then went towards the river and in and around it there were lots & lots of shops. I was unable to find any spiritual person. I could only see businessman. Trying to earn by the name of mother ganga. Shops were selling sweets, toys, garments, stones, rudraksha(beads), ornaments and all that one can think including God. There was everything except mother ganga. There were sadhus(wearing orange cloths with long hairs). Who were actually a special type of beggars. And ignorant people who go there were giving them money & food. I saw lots of families, people, young & adult trying to take a holy dip in the river & doing all that the pundit(so called spiritual teacher) said. I thought of going back but it was late. Also at about 8 pm there is a special ceremony known as aarti(song in praise of mother ganga). So I decided to participate in that. When I went near that place, I saw police & other volunteers asking for donation, and the one who gave donation was asked to go in front. Therefore I was standing right at the back with my camera. Aarti was over people started going away some tried to take bath. I saw people washing there cloths, including undergarments in the holy river. I thought of finding a peaceful place where there is no shop or beggars. I was unable to find such place after roming around for about an hour. So I waited for some time at about 9:30 the crowd was decreased. So I now decided to take a holy dip. I went inside the water, it was cold. A great freshness was generated throughout my body. And the speed of the waves was too high. I had to hold a chain in order to stand in the river. It is said one can also benefit his loved ones by taking their names while taking the holy bath & I did so. Well after taking bath I sat near the river putting my legs in the river for some time. Tried to admire the silence of the river. I went back to sleep, woke up the other day, had breakfast and I decided to go to a place called Rishikesh. Its about 2 hrs away from here. River Ganga is also found there. But thats a better place because there were mountains, spiritual schools and lots of places where I can find peace. I went there and enjoyed a bit. I found a peaceful place as shown on the webpage

http://www.ashwanithakur.com/articles/ganga.html . where I sat and took some pictures. You can also download a short 10 seconds film of this place from http://www.ashwanithakur.com/articles/ganga.html

Enjoy

Ashwani

Sr. Tech Suport Exec.

HCL Technologies

www.ashwanithakur.com