IndiaDivine.org

Aatma Vicharam

Rate this topic

Guest guest

What does this word "Aatma Vicharam" mean? Aatma = SELF and Vicharam = Thought. Thus, it denotes thought about the SELF, Self Enquiry. The word Vichaaram can also mean Vi = Visheshena and Charam = Movement, i.e. moving towards Aatman in a specific manner. We have to now find out what Aatman means and whether Atma Vicharam is a thought process or a movement. Vicharam and Charam both denote action.

We have seen in earlier articles that Aatman denotes SELF. I do not refer to the physical entity but the agochara (unknown, unseen) entity. SELF denotes the undercurrent of life, the source of life or the substratum of life, which is described as Omnipresent, Omniscient and Omnipotent. That which is unmanifest, unseen or unknown Shakthi, which illumines our life – GOD. I think no more explanation is required. All of us can assimilate. Now the question is Vicharam or Vi+Charam. In both expressions it relates to an action – whether thought process or

movement. Thus Aatma Vicharam means Thought about Aatman or Moving towards Aatman. OK? If so, Vicharam or Movemnet refers to an action process. Is Aatma Vicharam an action process? Can we know or attain Aatman through action? Let us analyse.

What is a Thought? Thought is a product of Desire. When a Desire arises in us, we pay attention to it, we get attached to it (interested in it) and contemplate on it and try to possess it. It is a mental & intellectual process. Any product of Mind or Intellect has necessarily to be materialistic because there exists duality and it is impermanent. Further, the thought process is individualistic, i.e. a thought arising in one of us is related to that one only and not to all. Aatman is spiritual, which cannot be visualized or realized through a materialistic process. Can you go to America by train? You have to compulsorily use an aeroplane (apart from ship) because there is no road connection to America. Isn't it? The vehicle that you use to reach a destination must be capable of taking you there and there must be a means. Similarly to attain Aatman, which is spiritual, you cannot use a materialistic approach. The approach also has to be spiritualistic. Then, what does Vicharam or Vi+Charam mean?

To explain this further I would like to quote Bhagavan Ramana Maharshi's teaching "WHO AM I?", i.e. Aatma Vicharam. He categorically states that it is not a thought process but the status of "Being". This means it is (for understanding purpose) becoming that "I". Again becoming is not conveying the appropriate meaning. You may ask is not becoming a process? Yes. That is why Bhagawan has stated "Being". Any attribute that you add to this word "I" becomes a process or Dwandhwam. The moment you attribute anything to "I" it gets an upadhi or it becomes attached or related. For understanding such spiritual entity we have to use some words but the minimum. Hence I said becoming, which means we are not now but have to be THAT. This is neither an investigation nor a gaveshanam. It is neither a process nor a thought. To explain it with minimum words "BE THAT", which otherwise means "Being".

Well, we are confused already, isn't it? Be attentive and sharp in grasping. I agree that initially we have to go through the process of thought or enquiry. This materialistic process involves the mind and intellect. To know an 'un-known' we have to go from the known through examples from known realms. In this process, what we are trying to do is to appease the mind, make the mind rest or disappear. Where there is Mental or Intellectual interference, the spiritual process cannot progress. Therefore, we have to train the Mind to be at rest. How? Take this as a question WHO AM I? You will immediately get the answer as "I am Mr.So & so". Analyse it with Intellect. This is an attribute because the "I" is expanded here with a name. Similarly if you try to answer this question from another angle, you will say I am the son of so & so. Again this refers to a relationship. Thus anything you add to "I" becomes an upadhi. The "I" is nameless, attribute less, unattached, unrelated and stands alone. Next step is that every time you get an answer with an attribute, relation or name you should reject it saying "Not this", "Not this" etc. This is called "Neti", "Neti" process as explained by Bhagawan. Thus,

the moment you take it as a question you have to answer it as Neti, meaning not this. That is, I am not this, I am not this etc. Am I the body? No. Am I the Mind? No. am I the Intellect? No. Am I the Ego? No. How long will you go like this? What is the end of this thought process? No end. That is why it is said, it is not a thought process because the question and answer both are related to thought process. However, in this process, the Mind and Intellect will get tired and rest automatically since there will be no answer. Where there is no Vichar (thought), there is no Mind. Where there is no Mind, there shines the "I". Once the Mind and Intellect are at rest, what we experience is the SELF, which was illuminating the Mind and Intellect and which is now freed from the upadhis of Mind and Intellect. This shows that this is not a movement also, since nothing moves here, the mind and intellect get tired and subsides and the SELF shines without the upadhis of Mind and Intellect. Let me clarify this point through an example. Keep a candle inside an earthen pot and keep it on a table with the mouth facing the ceiling, so that the light is not seen by you. Now the candle is not visible to you. Simply break the earthern pot. Suddently the candle appears. Now, do you argue that the

light inside the pot came out or moved out? No. Isn't it? What happened? The upadhi when broken, the light which was there already, which is there and which will be there, became visible. there is no movement of light.

Thus, though initially you start it as a question, ultimately you end with no question and no answer; the Mind and Intellect at rest and thus you shine as SELF. Henceforth you shine from spiritual plane instead of materialistic plane. Even after Realisation, you have to function in the world outside till the physical entity gets extinguished with death. But this functioning will be totally different from the earlier one, i.e. Spiritualisitic existence instead of Materialistic. This is the state of existence of Realised

persons/Sanyaasis. Please do not mistake the word "Spiritual" with "Spirit". Spirit is used in a different sense. This state is described as "Satchidaananda".

Tell me now, is Aatma Vicharam a process of thought or movement? It starts as a Vicharam or movement but culminates at SELF, when it loses its nature as Thought or Movement. Isn't it? Let us suggest another suitable word for it, if it befits our above explanation: "AATMA SAAKSHAATKKAARAM", means remain or stay as AATMAN. This suits the word "Being". Our Vedas proclaim this state as 'SOHAM', 'TAT TWAM ASI', 'AHAM BRAHMAASMI' etc. Bhagawan Ramana's writings "WHO AM I" explain this very explicitly

Start your day with - make it your home page