IndiaDivine.org

Something to Think About

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Many a time, many a person are always facinated by the term Hindu.I have sometimes been puzlled as to how to avoid topic when out with friends of different culture when they ask something like... I heard you are full of culture and religion and tell us more about yourself, or more about your belief.... really i have been many a time in this situation , giving me less option to explain to them. But at the same time do one also realize that we are full of culutre, religion and multiactivity when it comes to Worship, as there are no other religion than our who has more option to reveal to others, or discuss that we have a lot in us and withinn us. Hindu deities are the sum of all of existence: masculine and feminine, sadness and happiness, creation and destruction, disease and health. Each deity may have several manifestations, each one representing a different side of the

deity's personality. In addition, Hindus believe in reincarnation, and some of the deities themselves have many incarnations. The god Vishnu, for example, is said to have had ten incarnations. Then came another question:regarding the images.... Most images in Hindu temples and shrines are permnent and impermeable. Carved of stone, cast in metal, or painted on cloth, they may remain in one spot for centuries or even thousands of years. In some shrines, however, the icon of the principal deity is sculpted of an impermanent material and may be immersed in a river or left to disintegrate after the puja. Shrines themselves may also be transitory. Some rituals are enacted only once a year in conjunction with a seasonal change, while others respond to a specific need, such as relief from drought or protection from epidemic. For any of these

irregular events, a temporary shrine may be built and then dismantled after use. The next issue was the idol to describe: Many images of deities are painted or sculpted to represent the deity in human or superhuman form. Others are abstract or amorphous-a tree, a rock, a pot, a cone, or a stake. Any of these objects, whether anthropomorphic or abstract, can be invested with the holy and powerful spirit of the deity. The above where my similar reply... hope the above helps all to explain when you are in similar topic talks like me to the point of view.

Ahhh...imagining that irresistible "new car" smell? Check out

new cars at Autos.

Guest guest

Hari Om Dear Babithaji,

Thanks for ur mail & it was really nice to read the content. I would like to add to it, my thoughts stated below:

The concept of Hindu God is much similar to the Definition of Energy - which says can appear in any form, can be transformed from one form to another and can not be created nor destroyed.

The human or superhuman forms depicted may be with an intention to improve the power of concentration for the Sadhakas in the beginning stage similar to Alphabets to KG Students. After a stage of advanced graduation the Nama, Form & Nami all will appear to be same to the Sadhaka.

Many times I have noticed that people in front of Vigrahas in temple used to close their eyes more time than they see the vigraha but enjoy within themselves. May be Smaranam - a prescribed method of worship could be more suitable for us ( so called NRIs ) as we are far away from our motherland.

I feel the Vigraha is nothing but a condensed form of Universal Power/ Energy / Shakthi of God - like Sree Mookambika Devi residing in Kollur Temple as Siva & Sakthi Swaroopam.

Solicit Learned members of this group for further guidance and corrections.

With Prayers unto the Lotus Feet of Sree Mookambika,

Rajasekhar K G

Many a time, many a person are always facinated by the term Hindu.I have sometimes been puzlled as to how to avoid topic when out with friends of different culture when they ask something like... I heard you are full of culture and religion and tell us more about yourself, or more about your belief.... really i have been many a time in this situation , giving me less option to explain to them. But at the same time do one also realize that we are full of culutre, religion and multiactivity when it comes to Worship, as there are no other religion than our who has more option to reveal to others, or discuss that we have a lot in us and withinn us.

Hindu deities are the sum of all of existence: masculine and feminine, sadness and happiness, creation and destruction, disease and health. Each deity may have several manifestations, each one representing a different side of the deity's personality. In addition, Hindus believe in reincarnation, and some of the deities themselves have many incarnations. The god Vishnu, for example, is said to have had ten incarnations.

Then came another question:regarding the images....

Most images in Hindu temples and shrines are permnent and impermeable. Carved of stone, cast in metal, or painted on cloth, they may remain in one spot for centuries or even thousands of years. In some shrines, however, the icon of the principal deity is sculpted of an impermanent material and may be immersed in a river or left to disintegrate after the puja. Shrines themselves may also be transitory. Some rituals are enacted only once a year in conjunction with a seasonal change, while others respond to a specific need, such as relief from drought or protection from epidemic. For any of these irregular events, a temporary shrine may be built and then dismantled after use.

The next issue was the idol to describe:

Many images of deities are painted or sculpted to represent the deity in human or superhuman form. Others are abstract or amorphous-a tree, a rock, a pot, a cone, or a stake. Any of these objects, whether anthropomorphic or abstract, can be invested with the holy and powerful spirit of the deity.

The above where my similar reply... hope the above helps all to explain when you are in similar topic talks like me to the point of view.

[]On Behalf Of Babitha VasanthSunday, April 29, 2007 10:34 AMMookambika Something to Think About

Guest guest

Agnir devo dwijadeenam

Muneenaam hridi samhitam

Pratima swalpa budheenam

Sarvatra sama darshinam

>

> Babitha Vasanth <babitha70

> Sun 29/04/2007 3:34 PM SGT

> Mookambika

> Something to Think About

>

> Many a time, many a person are always facinated by the term Hindu.I have