IndiaDivine.org

ParaaparakkaNNi

Rate this topic

Guest guest

MURUGA SARANAM

Few years back I read three lines of the hymn/poem Paraaparakkanni by Thaayumaanava Swamigal which was quoted ina tamil novel Malaimathi. I dont know much about the complete details of this great soul Thaayumanavaswamigal and Paraaparakkanni. But from the time I read these three verses would never go off my mind and since a long time I had been enticed to share this with our members.

Obviously the hymn is having many verses and the said three Verses go like this.

eththikkum thaayaaki en ithayaththE uuri thiththikkum aanantha theenE paraaparamEaazi thurumbenavE angumingum unnadimai paazil thirivathenna paavam paraparamE

paarththa idamellaam paraveLiyaay thOndra naru vaarththai sollarintha manuvE paraparamEnandrariyEn thIthariyEn nanendru nindravan endrariyEn naan Ezai ennE paraaparamE

inthanaal satrum irangilaiyEl kaalan varum antha naaL kaakka vallaar aar kaaN paraparamEpaadi padiththulakil paraatti nirpatharkO thEdi enai adimai sErththaay paraparamE.

It means

Oh! ParaaparamE (Supreme God) who have been present everywhere as a Mother and have been occupying my heart as sweet blissful honey,

how is it that your poor slave (dasa) has been suffering like an insignificant piece of article in the huge ocean.

Oh! ParaparamE, who occupy all the places I see as Eternal Space which cant be explained by words, I have not been knowing what is good and what is bad, even do not know that I have all the time been existing with the ego " I " , the poor me My Lord.

Oh! ParaparamE, if you dont show mercy upon me on this day, who will save me on the day when the angel of death arrives. Is it becasue you wanted to have someone keep singing of your glories in this world, My Lord?

(pl do not hesitate to correct my translation or my views wherever necessary)

The third line says many things. That when the angel of death arrives it is clear that a man is still in the cycle of birth and death due to the cycle of karma. Many thing sdecide his future birth and the dreaded thing is birth itself may be dgraded to a lower level and even if one is born again as human or above, still he has every chance to fall back due to influence of past & future karma whcih means he may take himself farther away from Lord Muruga. Rarely some people wish to be born again as human beings to serve Him and His devotees or to keep singing of His glories like Karaikkal Ammayaar did. Thats why Thaayumanava Swami says " Do you intend to have this slave in your team that keeps singing of Thy glories? " . Kanthar Alangaaram says that only Siva Yogis conquer time (time or kaalam which is also known as Yama - The Kaalan who is the angel of death who ends your time on this birth) and only Karmi or people entangled by Karma die (and be born again). This is in verse no. 26 of Kanthar Alangaram (

http://www.kaumaram.com/text_new/k_alng_t.html) which talks about our Prana Nathan Murugan who rides the blue pecock who may come any time with the Beautiful Kurathi (Valli). Skantha Gurukavasam also says this.

The sages dont die, they attain the highest state by uniting with God through Samadhi and become one with Him by Self Realisation. The same was very very nicely put by Thayumanava swamy which is told in every scripture that talks of the Highest Truth. The entire ParaparakkaNNI must be highly worthwhile reciting and enjoying. I would feel indebted if someone knowledgible on this tells more about this hymn/poem and about Thaayumaanava Swami.

Muruga Saranam

With Best RegardsMeyyappan S

Thank you, Mr Meyappan, for sharing that beautiful verse. Its so helpful that you translated it for our benefit. I have long had this doubt, and I hope to get clarification from any member of the group. In all Tamil compositions, Murugan is invited to appear with this consort Valli. Yes, Valli is Murugan's consort. Sometimes, he appears with both his consorts. But I get the impression (I may be wrong!) that there is more emphasis given to Valli than to Deivanai. Am I alone in thinking like this? Or is there any explanation or story that can clarify this question? Happy Pongal Everyone!! PatriciaS Meyyappan <smeyyappan wrote: MURUGA SARANAM Few years back I read three

lines of the hymn/poem Paraaparakkanni by Thaayumaanava Swamigal which was quoted ina tamil novel Malaimathi. I dont know much about the complete details of this great soul Thaayumanavaswamigal and Paraaparakkanni. But from the time I read these three verses would never go off my mind and since a long time I had been enticed to share this with our members. Obviously the hymn is having many verses and the said three Verses go like this. eththikkum thaayaaki en ithayaththE uuri thiththikkum aanantha theenE paraaparamEaazi thurumbenavE angumingum unnadimai paazil thirivathenna paavam paraparamE paarththa idamellaam paraveLiyaay thOndra naru vaarththai sollarintha manuvE paraparamEnandrariyEn thIthariyEn nanendru nindravan endrariyEn naan Ezai ennE paraaparamE inthanaal satrum irangilaiyEl kaalan varum antha naaL kaakka vallaar aar kaaN paraparamEpaadi padiththulakil paraatti

nirpatharkO thEdi enai adimai sErththaay paraparamE. It means Oh! ParaaparamE (Supreme God) who have been present everywhere as a Mother and have been occupying my heart as sweet blissful honey, how is it that your poor slave (dasa) has been suffering like an insignificant piece of article in the huge ocean. Oh! ParaparamE, who occupy all the places I see as Eternal Space which cant be explained by words, I have not been knowing what is good and what is bad, even do not know that I have all the time been existing with the ego "I", the poor me My Lord. Oh! ParaparamE, if you dont show mercy upon me on this day, who will save me on the day when the angel of death arrives. Is it becasue you wanted to have someone keep singing of your glories in this world, My Lord? (pl do not hesitate to correct my translation

or my views wherever necessary) The third line says many things. That when the angel of death arrives it is clear that a man is still in the cycle of birth and death due to the cycle of karma. Many thing sdecide his future birth and the dreaded thing is birth itself may be dgraded to a lower level and even if one is born again as human or above, still he has every chance to fall back due to influence of past & future karma whcih means he may take himself farther away from Lord Muruga. Rarely some people wish to be born again as human beings to serve Him and His devotees or to keep singing of His glories like Karaikkal Ammayaar did. Thats why Thaayumanava Swami says "Do you intend to have this slave in your team that keeps singing of Thy glories?". Kanthar Alangaaram says that only Siva Yogis conquer time (time or kaalam which is also known as Yama - The Kaalan who is the angel of death who ends your time on this

birth) and only Karmi or people entangled by Karma die (and be born again). This is in verse no. 26 of Kanthar Alangaram ( http://www.kaumaram.com/text_new/k_alng_t.html) which talks about our Prana Nathan Murugan who rides the blue pecock who may come any time with the Beautiful Kurathi (Valli). Skantha Gurukavasam also says this. The sages dont die, they attain the highest state by uniting with God through Samadhi and become one with Him by Self Realisation. The same was very very nicely put by Thayumanava swamy which is told in every scripture that talks of the Highest Truth. The entire ParaparakkaNNI must be highly worthwhile reciting and enjoying. I would feel indebted if someone knowledgible on this tells more about this hymn/poem and about Thaayumaanava Swami. Muruga Saranam With Best RegardsMeyyappan

S

Photos Got holiday prints? See all the ways to get quality prints in your hands ASAP.

MURUGA SARANAM

Dear Patricia..

I too have thought so at times. Often verses also mention about both the consorts at the same time. But in " Muthaitharu " Thirupugaz, only Deivanai is mentioned as " Athikira Sathicharavana " where Athi is Deivanai. The person who wrote the explanation wrote that Deivanai is specified as she represents Kriya Sakthi, Arunagirinathar mentioned her to insist upon Karma Yoga First. You can get the full translation & transliteration of this thirupugaz at http://www.kaumaram.com/thiru/ntpm0006.html

Valli could be more related to us as she was raised as a human being and union of Valli and Lord Murugan is referred to as " JIva Siva Ikyam " by Kripananda Variyar. I wish there is a more authentic explanation. It is referred in the Thirupugaz on Vinayaka " Kaithala Niraikani " .

May All Glories be to Valli Pangaalan

May All Glories be to DevasenaapathiMURUGA SARANAM

With Best Regards

Meyyapan S

On 1/14/06, Patricia Jay <patriciajay2000 wrote:

Thank you, Mr Meyappan, for sharing that beautiful verse. Its so helpful that you translated it for our benefit.I have long had this doubt, and I hope to get clarification from any member of the group.

In all Tamil compositions, Murugan is invited to appear with this consort Valli. Yes, Valli is Murugan's consort. Sometimes, he appears with both his consorts. But I get the impression (I may be wrong!) that there is more emphasis given to Valli than to Deivanai. Am I alone in thinking like this? Or is there any explanation or story that can clarify this question? Happy Pongal Everyone!!Patricia

Dear Mr Meyappan Thank you for your reply. At least I'm not alone in having had this doubt. I was already aware of this Icha Shakti-Kriya Shakti concept. But it puzzled me why Valli was frequently referred to as Murugan's consort (which is true!!), but less mention was made of Deivanai. Another reason is that when I saw some Tamil movies, the characters often spoke unflatteringly of men who had 2 wives, and even made references to Murugan on this issue. (Eg."Mr so-and-so is not a SriRaman, but he is a Murugan"). I dont feel comfortable when I witness such scenes because of my affection for Murugan, and I feel he has not done anything wrong. But I did begin to feel: "Is there some important viewpoint that I'm not aware of? Is there any particular reason why Valli is given more visibility in Tamil verses about Murugan". Thank you once again. You'll

be interested to know that, immediately after I emailed my last message to you and clicked "Send", I got an answer to my question! It made sense to me and I will share it later. But this is my Murugan's doing. Right now I have to rush off to meet a deadline (I'm a victim of too many deadlines!). Best wishes PatriciaS Meyyappan <smeyyappan wrote: MURUGA SARANAM Dear Patricia.. I too have thought so at times. Often verses also mention about both the consorts at the same time. But in "Muthaitharu" Thirupugaz, only Deivanai is mentioned as "Athikira Sathicharavana" where Athi is Deivanai. The person who wrote the explanation wrote that Deivanai is specified as she represents Kriya Sakthi, Arunagirinathar mentioned her

to insist upon Karma Yoga First. You can get the full translation & transliteration of this thirupugaz at http://www.kaumaram.com/thiru/ntpm0006.html Valli could be more related to us as she was raised as a human being and union of Valli and Lord Murugan is referred to as "JIva Siva Ikyam" by Kripananda Variyar. I wish there is a more authentic explanation. It is referred in the Thirupugaz on Vinayaka "Kaithala Niraikani". May All Glories be to Valli Pangaalan May All Glories be to DevasenaapathiMURUGA SARANAM With Best Regards Meyyapan S On 1/14/06, Patricia Jay <patriciajay2000 wrote: Thank you, Mr Meyappan, for sharing that beautiful verse. Its so helpful that you translated it for our benefit.I have long had this doubt, and I hope to get clarification from any member of the group.In all Tamil compositions, Murugan is invited to appear with this consort Valli. Yes, Valli is Murugan's consort. Sometimes, he appears with both his consorts. But I get the impression (I may be wrong!) that there is more emphasis given to Valli than to Deivanai. Am I alone in thinking like this? Or is there any explanation or story that can clarify this question? Happy Pongal Everyone!!Patricia

Photos Ring in the New Year with Photo Calendars. Add photos, events, holidays, whatever.